What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pop Rivet Art

XOverZero

Well Known Member
This arrived in the mail today. Good 'ol pal Jimmie New (Stearman, BirdDog) was fascinated that an airplane could be built with pop rivets, so he set about to properly document the epiphany, airplane style. I kinda like it, but then, I'm pretty much as bent as he is. Too close for missiles, switching to rivet guns. *Pop!* Gotcha.

DSCN0219.jpg

That... is... awesome.

Even if it does look vaguely dirty. I'm sure it's just the lighting.

I'm a Zonie (from Arizona). We have long been amused at the antics of our neighbor Californicators!🙈

Gee...um...don't quite know how to break this diplomatically, but that artist fella...he moved to a different state. Care to guess which one? Oops!:D

This arrived in the mail today. Good 'ol pal Jimmie New (Stearman, BirdDog) was fascinated that an airplane could be built with pop rivets, so he set about to properly document the epiphany, airplane style. I kinda like it, but then, I'm pretty much as bent as he is. Too close for missiles, switching to rivet guns. *Pop!* Gotcha.

DSCN0219.jpg

That's cool!

John, occasionally a true patriot escapes the People's Republic of California into the welcoming arms of us Zonies!😜

John, occasionally a true patriot escapes the People's Republic of California into the welcoming arms of us Zonies!��

Rich...you'er right. Though some of us that escape....go north (find the Winters are a bit chilly); and become IdaZonies.. Spending our winters south..Casa Grande. Actually looking forward to flying my -12 down south this winter (maybe hook-up for a $100/hamburger)!

Last edited:
Ric, I'd love it. But with RV-12's it's only a $50 burger! When you're ready send me a note. Sedona is good for lunch, but Laughlin is a great overnighter (poor man's Vegas).

Rich

Reminiscent of Chennault's Flying Tiger emblem on the P-40. Perhaps your friend could sell the design to Van (okay maybe barter with Van :D) and offer it to RV12 builders. We might soon have an entire air force of Flying Pop Rivet Tigers at Oshkosh.

Chris

Last edited:
Reminiscent of Chennault's Flying Tiger emblem on the P-47. Perhaps your friend could sell the design to Van (okay maybe barter with Van :D) and offer it to RV12 builders. We might soon have an entire air force of Flying Pop Rivet Tigers at Oshkosh.

Chris

It's more than merely reminiscent, Chris. The inspiration was taken quite directly from that famous image. Even though it would be pretty cool to have it become a semi-official RV-12 sort of thing, I don't see any commercial arrangements arising out of it. The original art came from the Disney studio during The Dubya Dubya Two. I would have to assume they still claim it as proprietary, and that outfit has more lawyers than artists. The idea makes for happy thoughts, but those boys have all the pixie dust, and we know without that it just won't fly.

That drawing would make great tail art.

Personally, I think I'd prefer a bit more of the grip and clench and a bit less tooth and nail.

But as it is - it definitely belongs on the tail.

Dave

The famous 'Tiger-Mouth' P-40 Nose Art was actually designed by my (late) neighbor: AVG member Erik Shilling:

http://www.warbirdforum.com/erikrip.htm

However, as John points out, the 'Flying Tiger' Insignia (on which this pop-rivet is based) was designed by the Walt Disney Company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Tigers

For those that didn't know Erik, he was a prolific home-builder.
While I was growing-up as a teenager across the street from him in Southern California in the 70's and 80's, he built a Sonerai, a Quickie Q2 and a Starduster Too biplane.

He sure had some stories to tell about his adventures in WWII.

He is certainly missed...

Last edited:
Back