What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Announces SkyView HDX - The Premier SkyView Experience

Dynon

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Announcing SkyView HDX - The Premier SkyView Experience

SkyView-HDX-Logo-style-01_trans.png

We're excited to announce SkyView HDX - The Premier SkyView Experience.

SkyView HDX is the new flagship SkyView system from Dynon. SkyView HDX features improved displays, beautiful design, unrivaled control ergonomics, and an upgraded touch interface. SkyView HDX displays are compatible with all existing SkyView components and feature identical mounting profiles and electrical connections.

HDX-DualDisplay-angle-LR.png

Clear, Vibrant Displays: SkyView HDX features brighter, higher-resolution HD touchscreen displays with wider viewing angles and improved anti-reflective properties for the sharpest picture ever.*

Beautiful Design: SkyView HDX?s modern, elegant design features robust metal and glass construction that is worthy of being in your aircraft.

Unrivaled Control Ergonomics: SkyView HDX expands the SkyView philosophy of combining full physical controls with a touchscreen. SkyView HDX?s angled control panel allows for natural hand positioning, reducing fatigue. The wide, sculpted ledge allows you to anchor your hand for precise control in turbulence. New knobs have positive and crisp movement, and all controls are now fully-backlit for night flight.

Improved Touch Interface: SkyView HDX features icon-driven touch controls and simplified screen navigation for reduced workload. The new engine monitor instrument band along the bottom of the screen affords an ideal instrument scan. The expansive glass display features edge-to-edge touchability with no bezel in the way.

Capable and Compatible: SkyView HDX utilizes the same components and modules as existing SkyView systems. It also features the same mounting footprint and wiring as other SkyView displays, allowing drop-in upgrades for pilots already flying behind SkyView. SkyView HDX displays can also work side-by-side with SkyView Touch and SkyView Classic displays.

SkyView HDX will be available in both 7? and 10? touchscreen versions. The 10? SV-HDX1100 display will be priced at $4,490.00. The 7? SV-HDX800 will be priced at $3,190.00.

SkyView HDX is expected to be available Fall 2016.

Learn more at dynon.aero/HDX

For those of you at the big show, stop by the booth in Hangar D to take a peek at our prototypes.

Thanks!

Michael Schofield
Dynon Avionics

Looks great!

I like the EMS display format at the bottom of the screen. Is that feature going to roll over to the current Skyview systems?

Same here.... and the map looks cleaner by using a vertical status bar instead of overlays on the map.

I hope it's a SW update to the older units.

YES! I have been longing for a cleaner map page or a declutter button. This would help in that regard for sure. I hope its available in the software update.

I was wondering the same thing. I hope it does.

Nope Dynon says screen layout will not be available for the Skyview Classic or touch. Too bad, I got excited about it for nothing. We have been asking for that feature for a long time. We got our wish but just have to buy a new display to get it.

Nope Dynon says screen layout will not be available for the Skyview Classic or touch. Too bad, I got excited about it for nothing. We have been asking for that feature for a long time. We got our wish but just have to buy a new display to get it.

Bummer....:(

Also the "drop-in replacement" bit might not be too easy if you have switches under an existing Skyview unit. The 'shelf' looks like it might get in the way.

Last edited:
Question, is the screen viewing area taller with the buttons and knobs rotated down and out?

Bummer....:(

Also the "drop-in replacement" bit might not be too easy if you have switches under an existing Skyview unit. The 'shelf' looks like it might get in the way.

According to the gentleman I talked to at the Stein booth (not Stein himself), the HDX has different mounting hole locations than the original 10" Skyview. This might make "drop-in replacement" slightly more challenging.

According to the gentleman I talked to at the Stein booth (not Stein himself), the HDX has different mounting hole locations than the original 10" Skyview. This might make "drop-in replacement" slightly more challenging.

So this bit of the advertising blurb isn't quite right? :rolleyes:

It also features the same mounting footprint and wiring as other SkyView displays, allowing drop-in upgrades for pilots already flying behind SkyView.

Or it could reflect the differences between the prototype and the final production design.

It's too soon to say.

Dave

I stopped in Monday to try out the new system and look at the AFS systems as well, even though I'm still a few years out from an avionics purchase. Figure it doesn't hurt to stay up-to-date.

Anyway, I liked the new screen resolution--it's nice and crisp and seems a bit cleaner. The angled buttons and knob are nice, and I really like the new backlit buttons. I don't much care either way about the engine panel. I did notice that I had more difficulty navigating around the system as compared to the "legacy" Skyview (which I found to be very intuitive and easy to learn without even looking at a manual, back when I first flew with it). For some reason, it just didn't work like I was expecting. Also, it seemed as though the knobs no longer function as joysticks? At least, I tried moving them but they were very stiff and I didn't want to break one off.

Last edited:
Confirmed at the Dynon booth that the knobs won't operate like joysticks. They twist and push in, and that's it. With all HDX displays being touch enabled, Dynon told me that function on the knobs was no longer needed.

I found I agree with your assessment on ease of use. Being very used to flying IFR with my now "Legacy" non-touch Skyview, I found navigation amongst the various screens on the HDX more difficult. The functions didn't all lead to the same sub-menus as I have come to expect. That's not to say it's bad. I bet given a few hours with the new system in my plane I could get used to it.

I was told that the hole in the panel is the same size, and the two upper screw holes are in the same location as before. There is no middle screw hole on the new screens, and the lower hole is probably an inch or so above the old one. So you'd have to add two new nutplates for the new holes, and can even leave the old middle and lower nutplates in place. Very simple retrofit.

We're hoping to give the new screens a try in our Tundra when one becomes available.

Unfortunately the old middle mounting holes will show. You can see them on the setup they have at the show. I know it's not real obvious but you can see them. The Dynon person I spoke with said, yeah they do show but there's not much they can do about it.

All in all it looks nice, not sure I can justify the $4,500 and no trade in.

Gary

I found I agree with your assessment on ease of use. Being very used to flying IFR with my now "Legacy" non-touch Skyview, I found navigation amongst the various screens on the HDX more difficult. The functions didn't all lead to the same sub-menus as I have come to expect. That's not to say it's bad. I bet given a few hours with the new system in my plane I could get used to it.

It's something I noticed about some other products, too. They all have neat capabilities, but the interface just wasn't as intuitive and menu behavior wasn't what I expect. That's what I like about the legacy Skyview--back when I first flew with it I was able to figure out and use most of the functionality of the system without reading the manual. It just works the way I expected it to.

The interface on the HDX is substantially different than the legacy Skyview, but once you understand the interface it is quite easy to navigate, and actually easier than the legacy. The physical screen size is identical. The overall panel size is also identical. You do need to add two holes, but they can be drilled and tapped if your screen material is thick enough. Otherwise you need to add 2 nut plates. The lower button panel should not affect switches below the panel because even though it sticks out from the panel, the bottom of the panel is still the same location on your panel.

Dynon says they are not going to offer the new layout on the legacy units. While they are firm on hat, a great outcry from legacy users for e lower engine display may change their minds. You never know. Foreflight also said hey would never show traffic from the stratus...

If you are at Oshkosh, it would be worth stopping by to look at the new HDX. I heard someone say that there will be a trade up program, but they don't know what that will look like yet. Who knows. I am sure the market for used legacy units will still be big enou to support the equivalent.

If you are at Oshkosh, it would be worth stopping by to look at the new HDX. I heard someone say that there will be a trade up program, but they don't know what that will look like yet. Who knows. I am sure the market for used legacy units will still be big enou to support the equivalent.

IIRC they have had trade-up programs in the past, but the percentage credit they gave was less than the used, Ebay value of the old equipment.

Most (all?) users simply sold their old equipment for more money than the trade-in value.

The interface on the HDX is substantially different than the legacy Skyview, but once you understand the interface it is quite easy to navigate, and actually easier than the legacy. The physical screen size is identical. The overall panel size is also identical. You do need to add two holes, but they can be drilled and tapped if your screen material is thick enough. Otherwise you need to add 2 nut plates. The lower button panel should not affect switches below the panel because even though it sticks out from the panel, the bottom of the panel is still the same location on your panel.

Dynon says they are not going to offer the new layout on the legacy units. While they are firm on hat, a great outcry from legacy users for e lower engine display may change their minds. You never know. Foreflight also said hey would never show traffic from the stratus...

I wonder if that means we've pretty much seen the end of functional enhancement to the legacy units? Enhancing and maintaining the two software packages might be too much to deal with ...

Dynon still makes and supports the D10A. They are not the type of company that orphans products. They will continue supporting and adding features to the whole Skyview line.

Dynon still makes and supports the D10A. They are not the type of company that orphans products. They will continue supporting and adding features to the whole Skyview line.

IIRC, The long promised "full functionality" of the D-series autopilot was dropped once the SV work started, so while not "orphaned", Dynon does have a history of leaving legacy customers holding the bag a bit.

Unfortunately the old middle mounting holes will show. You can see them on the setup they have at the show.

Does anyone have a picture of this? I can't imagine how the middle holes would show, given they would be behind the unit. The bottom holes, I understand will show. A Dynon rep told me they would provide "something" to fill them (the quotes were his, not mine). I think a normal panel screw would seem fine, given that it would be under the new "shelf".

I'm sure someone could take a pic. I was surprised as I thought the bezel would cover it. I also asked if they were going to come up with something to cover it, the Dynon rep said they are thinking about it.

Gary

Does anyone wonder why Dynon did not simply use the upper 2 and lower 2 mounting hole locations from the current Skyview when they designed the HDX.

Would have then been a simple drop in !!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I have two customers that want HDX cutouts in their panels, I called Dynon tech support but they could not help with the actual HDX hole locations.

I was told that there is NO drawing available yet and the support guy said he did not know when one would be available ???

Does anyone wonder why Dynon did not simply use the upper 2 and lower 2 mounting hole locations from the current Skyview when they designed the HDX.

Would have then been a simple drop in !!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I have two customers that want HDX cutouts in their panels, I called Dynon tech support but they could not help with the actual HDX hole locations.

I was told that there is NO drawing available yet and the support guy said he did not know when one would be available ???

The HDX doesn't actually sit in the panel at the lower hole points. They have a close out panel the closes the hole using those two screw holes. They obviously couldn't use just the top and middle holes. The panel cutout could be smaller vertically, but if it is already cut, you can just leave the two middle holes alone and when you get the screens you can match drill and either tap the panel if it is thick enough or you can match drill and add a nutplates for the lower hole.

All things considered, IMHO they did a great job of fitting existing installations as much as possible. The wiring is identical too.

I'm sure someone could take a pic. I was surprised as I thought the bezel would cover it. I also asked if they were going to come up with something to cover it, the Dynon rep said they are thinking about it.

Gary

The very edge of the old middle holes can be visible, but only barely. I talked to Kirk, the head of the HDX project and he said they haven't finalized the bezel design yet. He said they may adjust for the old middle hole as he didn't realize that they were visible until I pointed it out. Again, it is only barely visible with the current bezel design.

Sorry it took me this long to chime in here: we're just getting back from Oshkosh. I'll try to answer most of the questions that we have answers (or non-answers) for so far:

First, everything we showed at Oshkosh was prototype. There WILL be changes to software and hardware between now and release. So thanks for your feedback here, but some of the details are still flexible (and your feedback will help guide us).

EMS horizontal band and other UI/UX changes: Because of the switch away from the joystick knobs and other technical things that are common between SkyView Classic (ie non-touch) and SkyView Touch, but that are different from SkyView HDX, the user interface changes aren't currently slated to come to the existing systems.

Software and features: All products have lifecycles, and over time SkyView HDX will be the flagship that gets the "latest and greatest" features, with SkyView Classic and Touch getting fixes and smaller improvements. The exact timeframes and differences are still to be determined, but we want all our customers to get real long term value from their purchases. Frankly, a delighted existing customer is the biggest source of the next customer, so we have incentive to treat you right. The version 15 features announced at Oshkosh are coming to all products.

Upgrades / Trade-ins: As I said above, a delighted existing customer is the biggest source of the next customer. We're still a bit away from SkyView HDX's release, but we always want to have a way for existing customers to get to the latest and greatest systems. We don't have anything to announce today, but we're listening and thinking.

Mounting / Bezel: The mechanical of the new design meant that we had to move the bottom screw holes. So upgrades will required drilling two new holes. If you're coming from SkyView Classic or SkyView Touch, there will be a small gap to fill underneath the angled controls, and I think we're looking at crafting a special plate that does that for people upgrading without any fuss. That's yet to be designed/finalized, so I don't want to over-commit there. Basically, we want this product to be as close to plug and play as possible.

Screen size: The actual screen size of the 7" and 10" displays are very similar to existing SkyView displays. I don't have the final dimensions handy, with much of our team still flying airplanes back across the country. Resolution and other display properties make them a substantially improved visually over SkyView Classic and Touch, as any of you that saw them in the booth saw.

Menu/UI: Definitely still in development. Much of the simplification of the menus and the visual hinting that makes a great UI intuitive to use isn't in the software yet (though from the direction I can see from the inside, I'm pretty excited about it.)

Michael Schofield
Dynon Avionics

Last edited:
I did not go to Oshkosh so have not seen it yet, but what is the actual resolution and max brightness in nits? Neither value seems to have been published yet.

Resolution is a class-leading 1280 x 800. Brightness hasn't been finalized, and I don't know if we'll ultimately publish a spec. But it will be at least as bright as SkyView, which is easily visible in direct sunlight. The subjective brightness will be improved even if the "spec" is the same because of better viewing angles and a different screen surface treatment for anti-reflective properties.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the removal of the joystick . That was one feature that had me leaning towards skyview vs garmin

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the removal of the joystick . That was one feature that had me leaning towards skyview vs garmin

Same here. I use them a lot on my Touch, especially in rough air ...

1280x800 looks good on a panel. Calling it "retina class" is an overstatement though :)

I played with the unit at OSH and found it easy to manipulate and intuitive. I have no previous Dynon experience. Looking forward to general availability of those units.

I did some menu navigating and overall use with the HDX and I don't feel like you will be missing much without the joystick. Some things are easier without it. The main problem with the joystick is that is can be hard to push because it wants to joystick unless you stabilize the knob before pushing. There are a few functions that you must touch the screen for, but the buttons and touch features are bigger than in the Skyview Touch. I think removing the joystick was a good move. I really like the feel of the new knobs, and the backlight is nice too.

I did some menu navigating and overall use with the HDX and I don't feel like you will be missing much without the joystick. Some things are easier without it. The main problem with the joystick is that is can be hard to push because it wants to joystick unless you stabilize the knob before pushing. There are a few functions that you must touch the screen for, but the buttons and touch features are bigger than in the Skyview Touch. I think removing the joystick was a good move. I really like the feel of the new knobs, and the backlight is nice too.
So in your opinion why would someone choose skyview over g3x touch ? Garmin has knobs and touch interface as well ,in fact they have 2 knobs each side

But the Garmin G3X has not buttons like the Skyview has for menu selections....

True but they do have the buttons used most nearest, direct to , menu and back .I don't need a map button when I can just touch the map. Skyview button arrangement is not enough to imo for me to decide one vs the other . Good thing is I'm nowhere near ready for avionics so I will decide when the time comes .

I think if either company could figure out how to display the action cam in place of the synthetic vision for the background that would seal the deal . I think grt has that ,that's a fantastic feature

Last edited:
Dynon Skyview Map licence still required for previous Skyview???

Hi all,

I'm about to make my final Dynon order which includes my second Skyview Touch screen. But do I still need to purchase the MAP licence?

From the Dynon announcement of the Skyview HDX a few weeks bak:
Effective Monday, July 25 2016, all SkyView Touch, SkyView Classic, and AF-5000 series displays now include navigation mapping capabilities. This equals a savings of $500 per system compared to previous pricing, where the mapping software was an additional separate $500 purchase.

Does that mean that if I order a new screen now I dont need to purchase the map licence anymore?
How is that done? Via a new software upgrade?
What about the screen that I bought before, does that Skyview still need the map licence?

Thank you.

Alain.

I believe you would only have needed to purchase one license for two screens in the same airplane prior to the HDX announcement. Now you no longer need to purchase the license.

EDIT: Contact Dynon and they'll take care of it for you.

Last edited:
From Dynon

I sent an email to Dynon to ask, here is the reply:
The new Skyview will come with a Map license.
If the older Skyview is connected and "speaking" to the new one no need to purchase a separate license , the moving map and all its features will work on both screens.
Alain.

I'm waaaiting......name that movie. So I wonder how many folks are waiting for this new HDX that was suppose to be out this fall....well, its still fall, but barley. This is the last item for my build.....plug in, FLY! hoping this will come out before the snow falls, well, snow did fall in the mountains today....

Last edited:
I'm waaaiting......name that movie. So I wonder how many folks are waiting for this new HDX that was suppose to be out this fall....well, its still fall, but barley. This is the last item for my build.....plug in, FLY! hoping this will come out before the snow falls, well, snow did fall in the mountains today....

Bret, I could loan you a Skyview touch so you can fly until the HDX comes out, assuming the cutout is made for the Skyview touch. I just happen to have 2 unused screens for a while. :(

Once again I cant express enough how grateful I am for the generosity of people on this forum, with knowledge, time, and help of all kinds ;) Thanks again Jesse!

I'm almost in the same boat, Bret. Not quite as close to flying so I'm hoping the HDX is available in the next two months.

I attended a webinar a couple weeks ago that was presented by Dynon and the presenter said to expect v15 in the next couple weeks. Of course, that doesn't mean the HDX will come with it but I suspect it will.

Bret,

Dynon has a history of pre-announcing new products and software updates with expected release dates and then missing those dates badly. I will say once they do release the new product/software update they are great, but waiting around can seem like forever.

I just don't understand the marketing behind announcing a new product or software update, only to let the users down with the completion dates are missed and push back, sometimes many months.

I guess I could sort of see pre-announceing new hardware like the HDX (for people who would be close to buying the touch or classic, maybe they want to wait)... but to me,.. "saying we have a great software update that does, xyz... and it will be ready to download in the fall", creates a bad customer experience. I would rather, "we have a great software update that does xyz, and it is ready to be downloaded now"...

Happy Dynon Customer... still waiting for that last software update (V15) that was pre-announced in July.

Back