What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Want to buy a RV-7 or RV-14 in Canada... anybody?

Canadianflyer

I'm New Here
Hello everyone, I have been racking my brain trying to find a Vans RV for sale in Canada, seems everyone loves them so much they don't want to get rid of them!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where I could find one? Preferably glass cockpit, IFR would be nice, and good build quality. I have searched the usual suspects - controller, trade-a-plane, Kijiji.

RV-7 and RV-14 preferred.

Thank you very much,

Kyle

There's a lot more for sale in the US, and importing isn't that difficult.

And welcome to VAF!

There's a lot more for sale in the US, and importing isn't that difficult.

And welcome to VAF!

I would be extremely cautious about trying to bring one in from the US at this time , there’s a couple here in Ontario that bought one last year and at six months it still wasn’t inspected & and cleared airworthy, not sure how it’s progress has gone recently !
I guess you missed the 14 quick build that was in Edmonton Alberta !

I would be extremely cautious about trying to bring one in from the US at this time , there’s a couple here in Ontario that bought one last year and at six months it still wasn’t inspected & and cleared airworthy, not sure how it’s progress has gone recently !
I guess you missed the 14 quick build that was in Edmonton Alberta !

Oh geez... yeah, that would be a devastating wait! And yup, had no idea. That would have been perfect. Never even saw it!

A lot of that will be due to COVID, just getting registration transferred on an airplane that's already here could take 3-6months right now... Transport is working on a less-than-skeleton crew it seems.

The US market is still a lot larger than Canada, and it's where you'll find the best deal as a result. The scarcity of aircraft already in Canada drives the prices up beyond the cost to import.

Have you flown in a RV?

I see you’re in Oshawa....

Email me at [email protected] and I’ll send you my number.

I have a RV8 in Oshawa...if you haven’t flown in an 8, I know someone that can help you out with that.;)

I’m planning on doing a form trip tomorrow at 1630 hours. With a RV7.

Don

Update

For anyone in Canada currently considering selling their RV7, please reach out to me directly. 905 2 six 1 66 one 5 or [email protected]

Unfortunately with the current COVID situation, it is difficult for cross border purchases, but not out of the question.

A friend of mine is in a position to buy one and once purchased, will start building a 14.

He is a serious buyer, who will pull the trigger and not just kick a tire.

Thanks

Don

RV 7A Canada

Anyone looking for a RV7A in Canada, Located in Ontario and owner is considering putting it up for sale. Low time decent 7A.

2006 RV7A
250hrs TT airframe and engine
No Damage history, one owner
io-360 fixed pitch Sensenich prop
Dynon Flight Dek 180 and D100
Auto pilot
Full leather interior
496 gps
Icom Radio
No ADSB
$130 USD
Located Ontario Canada
Send email for pics

Don't know of any RV's for sale in my area of Ontario, and I'm not ready to sell mine just yet, but I do know of a couple of people (3) who purchased RV's from the states and had issues with them passing Canadian inspections.
More recently down in Southwestern Ontario area there where huge problems were discovered in the rear of the fuselage of a 6A. There were over bucked rivets, misaligned rivet holes, and enough other stuff that the stab and fin had to be removed, the stab deck and the two rearmost bulkheads removed and replaced with new bulkheads and rivets, and the stab mounting plate re-installed.
If you do go for a US built, RV, inspect that area thoroughly. I'm not saying all are like that, there are many many extremely well built RV's, just give them a real good going over before importing one.

Importing to Canada

I brought my 6 into Canada from the USA about 12 years ago. It is quite involved but nothing that difficult. Make sure you seek help from local EAA OR RAA chapters, a lot of knowledge in those groups. If your plane is not passing inspections here you probably don’t want to fly it anyhow. Check with the MD-RA or local chapters mentioned above to see what you will require and this will give you a better idea of the work required once you get it here.
Good luck

Back