What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHT problem

SR2500

Well Known Member
VM1000C gold box. O-540 lycoming. At Oshkosh, my rpm sensor failed. So I ordered a new one, new EGT probes and new CHT probes as a couple had stopped working. Now, rpm is good. EGT is good. CHT is good with master power switch on, but when the engine is running they revert to What appears to be OAT. Any thoughts?
Jerry
Probes are Dynon J probes, bayonet style.

Thanks. I’ve got an email in to Reggie. I did split the box to replace the battery. Hopefully I didn’t introduce a stray tron.
Jerry

Problem solved. I had to go to the probe manufacturers to figure it out. VM1000C used an ungrounded J probe. The Dynons I replaced them with were grounded probes. Evidently, there are a few older systems out there that amplify the signal to make it work and the grounded probes interfere with this. There’s a good discussion about this on the Alcor website. Finally, I verified this with Reggie who still helps out with the VM product line.

You can replace a grounded probe with an ungrounded one, but not vice versa.

Consequently, I have six new Dynon CHT bayonet type J probes. I paid $38 each from Stein. Will sell for $25 each plus shipping. I’d rather not separate the batch.

Jerry

Last edited:
Thanks for closing the loop, and the useful info. Glad to hear Reggie is answering questions again.

Back