What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leaking primer solenoid

Joe

Well Known Member
On a refurbishment project I installed a new fuel primer valve, a Parker 12V solenoid valve from Aircraft Spruce (part number 05-04368). From the get-go, in the "OFF" position (no voltage to the solenoid) it leaked badly causing the engine to run excessively rich.

I removed it and can verify it leaks sometimes and it seals at other times. Aircraft Spruce is willing to give me an RMA but it will take 4-6 weeks to hear back from Parker and issue a credit if they deem it defective. I'm inclined to just order another and get on with it but first ...

My question for experienced users of this particular valve is this: could it be an installation issue (e.g. is one port an input and the other an output). An additional question: how does one non-destructively open this particular valve to examine the viton plunger and its sealing surfaces? I don't want to apply any heat to break the locktite for fear of melting something inside.

Thanks,
Joe

It has been a long time, but there is an input and output port for the solenoid. I looked at the design when I installed the unit and determined that if it was installed backwards it was possible for the engine to "suck" fuel through the valve when the valve was de energized.

Thank you, Noel. I believe you're right and I was coming to that same conclusion based on my experience with the unit after I removed it.

And just now I found this on the Aircraft Spruce web page for the device: "#1 port is out, #2 port is in." I swear: that wasn't on there when I ordered it :) It's also in the Q&A section so perhaps someone else had this issue.

I feel better about putting the new but "leaky" valve back into my aircraft so that'll be my chore for the weekend.

Thanks again,
Joe

EDIT: Yep, it must have been installed backwards because when I re-installed it with the "#1 port is out, #2 port is in" orientation, all was good. Thanks again, Noel.

Last edited:
Back