What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Pitot Heater Module

Surfdoc

Just wondering for all those that installed the heated pitot from Dynon in their -9. Where did you mount the heater module? Any photos or advice is greatly appreciated.

On a rib accessible through the access panel

-7, not a -9, but the same idea... On a rib accessible through the access panel near the pitot.

Just like this, with the screw heads facing the inspection panel so you can remove it if needed.

oJp.jpg

Last edited:
nutplates

And add some nutplates to the back side while you still can do it easily. They are lighter than a nut and washer and they won't fall off and roll to the most inaccessible place in the wing like a nut and washer will...

And add some nutplates to the back side while you still can do it easily. They are lighter than a nut and washer and they won't fall off and roll to the most inaccessible place in the wing like a nut and washer will...

And you can remove a screw from a nutplate with a long screwdriver and three fingers, while inventing new vocabulary, in a position where it would be absolutely hopeless to try to get to the backside with a wrench on the nut.

Save yourself maintenance effort during the build process, every chance you get.

Dynon pitot heater module

On my 7A I have installed it the same as Airguy except I have run all my earth wires back to the firewall earth block.

I put mine on the access panel itself that is right under the aileron bellcrank. Maintenance doesn't get any easier than that!

Just like Airguy recommended for easy removal should it need repairs. I also added a service loop for the dynamic/AOA feed should the pitot need to be sent in for repairs also. I would share pics but the Expercraft website has been down.

Any Photos?

I put mine on the access panel itself that is right under the aileron bellcrank. Maintenance doesn't get any easier than that!

Jereme,
Have you got a photo you could share of what you did? I'm about to close up my left wing so timing of this thread is gold for me, and I was favouring putting the controller onto the access plate for maintenance reasons also. I could still modify the ribs easily enough (with nutplates etc as per others) as the skins aren't yet on my wings.

And I went with the access panel inboard of that. If I recall correctly, this required an expansion of my vocabulary because the wires were exactly long enough to reach and making that connection inside the wing was NOT fun. I think I'd recommend not following my example.

Jereme,
Have you got a photo you could share of what you did? I'm about to close up my left wing so timing of this thread is gold for me, and I was favouring putting the controller onto the access plate for maintenance reasons also. I could still modify the ribs easily enough (with nutplates etc as per others) as the skins aren't yet on my wings.

I will definitely gets some pics for you tomorrow. Stand by... Turns out I didn't take any before...

And I went with the access panel inboard of that. If I recall correctly, this required an expansion of my vocabulary because the wires were exactly long enough to reach and making that connection inside the wing was NOT fun. I think I'd recommend not following my example.

Not sure what you mean here Claude. The wires were plenty long enough for what I wanted to do on the more outboard access.

Just wondering for all those that installed the heated pitot from Dynon in their -9. Where did you mount the heater module? Any photos or advice is greatly appreciated.

A second vote for the under the inspection cover. I've seen a few mounted there and that's where mine will go. Seems like a simple and serviceable place to put it.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean here Claude. The wires were plenty long enough for what I wanted to do on the more outboard access.

I didn't use the bellcrank access plate, I used the one inboard of that. It's twice as far from the pitot tube, hence my distance and access issue (the connection was a long reach inside). Using the access plate itself worked great, but I'd use the one you did if I did it again. The biggest mistake I did with my electrical system is trying to save a few pennies on wire and it led to a number of bad choices, tight wire runs and short splices. The choice to use the inboard access plate was not remotely worth the cost of 6 feet of wire.

I didn't use the bellcrank access plate, I used the one inboard of that. It's twice as far from the pitot tube, hence my distance and access issue (the connection was a long reach inside). Using the access plate itself worked great, but I'd use the one you did if I did it again. The biggest mistake I did with my electrical system is trying to save a few pennies on wire and it led to a number of bad choices, tight wire runs and short splices. The choice to use the inboard access plate was not remotely worth the cost of 6 feet of wire.

Ahhh that makes perfect sense now. You also just made me feel better about the wire scraps I just put in the recycle bin. As I was putting my scraps in I was wondering "I wonder how much money I'm loosing here...". I just really hate it when a wire comes up short so I usually cut 1 or two feet too long most of the time.

Jereme,

Geoff, sorry they aint high quality photos but here is the premise that I went with. Any questions at all don't hesitate to ask. Note: It is worth pointing out (at least in my mind) that if you are going with this method it is of utmost importance to properly safely/tape/secure these wires so they don't become entangled with the bell crank.

20191228_133402 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20191228_133413 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20191228_133429 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Just make sure the wires cannot come in contact with the bellcrank. Otherwise, the wires might jamb the controls.

Just make sure the wires cannot come in contact with the bellcrank. Otherwise, the wires might jamb the controls.

Yep, I put that disclaimer above the pictures. I will secure mine via an adel on the access or on the conduit I have right above the access.

Thanks

Geoff, sorry they aint high quality photos but here is the premise that I went with. Any questions at all don't hesitate to ask. Note: It is worth pointing out (at least in my mind) that if you are going with this method it is of utmost importance to properly safely/tape/secure these wires so they don't become entangled with the bell crank.

20191228_133402 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20191228_133413 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20191228_133429 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Thanks Again Jereme. The photos are great, and you answered the question that I forgot to ask, which was whether you riveted the controller down or used screws & nutplates. I'll be especially careful of the cable runs in the wings to ensure they don't foul on the aileron controls.

Just like Airguy recommended for easy removal should it need repairs. I also added a service loop for the dynamic/AOA feed should the pitot need to be sent in for repairs also. I would share pics but the Expercraft website has been down.

I’m going to order everything I need to install a heated pitot/AOA tube. I currently have the stock Vans pitot tube.

Do I need the installation kit they sell even though I already have a plastic pitot tube going to my current pitot? What else do I need to complete the replacement of the factory pitot tube?

Last edited:
Two Tubes

I'm currently installing this system in my 9A build... You will need to find some way for the 2nd plastic tube to run across all the ribs between the mast and the air data computer. The AOA is a 2nd pressure reading that gets compared to the standard pitot reading that the air data computer uses to infer angle of attack.

Specific to your question, the install kit comes with enough tubing and hardware to connect this pitot tube and two static ports to a dual ADAHRS setup.

I had installed my ribs before cutting the necessary 2nd hole for the 2nd tube. I ended up turning my unibit by hand to enlarge the tooling holes on the ribs under the wing walk. ...and this was before the bottom skin was attached. I'm not sure how to run a 2nd tube in a retrofit situation.

Also, I just realized that the stock Van's tube you're referring to is probably a simple aluminum tube sticking out from under the wing. The heated AOA pitot tube wants to be mounted in a teardrop shaped mast ($90+) similar to that seen on certified aircraft. I'm sure somebody has retrofitted one of those before. Looks to be a grind.

Last edited:
I'm currently installing this system in my 9A build... You will need to find some way for the 2nd plastic tube to run across all the ribs between the mast and the air data computer. The AOA is a 2nd pressure reading that gets compared to the standard pitot reading that the air data computer uses to infer angle of attack.

Specific to your question, the install kit comes with enough tubing and hardware to connect this pitot tube and two static ports to a dual ADAHRS setup.

I had installed my ribs before cutting the necessary 2nd hole for the 2nd tube. I ended up turning my unibit by hand to enlarge the tooling holes on the ribs under the wing walk. ...and this was before the bottom skin was attached. I'm not sure how to run a 2nd tube in a retrofit situation.

Also, I just realized that the stock Van's tube you're referring to is probably a simple aluminum tube sticking out from under the wing. The heated AOA pitot tube wants to be mounted in a teardrop shaped mast ($90+) similar to that seen on certified aircraft. I'm sure somebody has retrofitted one of those before. Looks to be a grind.

I've been reading all the threads that came up on the search for the last 5 hours straight. I've got a good understanding of it all now but wanted to know if in addition to the heated pitot tube and the mast if I needed to buy the installation kit or if I should just buy the extra tube I need since everything else is already installed.

Back