What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving door pin holes....

Phil

Well Known Member
Has anyone had success moving their door pin holes?

I drilled one of mine earlier and after all was said and done, the aft hole for the door shifted inboard about 1/16". I'd really like the door to sit as close to flush as possible so I don't make any additional work for myself. As it stands right now, I'd have to add quite a bit of filler to build-up the door and that would be enough to cover the tops of the screws holding the plastic pin guides in the door.

My thought is to go ahead and oval the hole in the bulk head enough to bring the door flush, then rivet a doubler plate with the properly sized 7/16" hole on the backside of the oval. Of course it would be the same thickness as bulkhead. I have plenty of pin extension to pull it off.
  • Has anyone done this successfully?
  • Are there any other techniques out there that I haven't thought of?
  • I'm assuming the door pin holes must be a tight fit (minimal slop) and that slightly enlarging the hole (without the doubler idea) is a bad idea?
Thanks,
Phil

Last edited:
Aluminum Door Pin Guides

If you use the aftermarket aluminum pin guides you'll have more than enough material to cover an oval hole.
In fact, those pin guides allow you to get the hole precisely where you want it regardless of where you drilled the first hole

IMG_0462.JPG

I'm not sure if I'm picturing the problem correctly, but if you've mis-drilled through the fiberglass, why not just fill it with flox and re-drill it?

I'm not sure if I'm picturing the problem correctly, but if you've mis-drilled through the fiberglass, why not just fill it with flox and re-drill it?

Glass and the bulkhead behind it. The pins protrude through both.

The blocks like Ernst showed are better. Use with the magnetic bullet ends. I can't imagine the oblong inboard will matter. You will be against your seal anyway which will force your door against the outward edge of the hole.

If you decide to install those aluminum door pin guides you can install them just a tiny bit too far inward.
This will allow you to micro fit the door in the end when all the seals are installed.
you simply elongate the hole a little bit at the time toward the outside
until you are happy with the fit. Don't forget, rubbing bare aluminum against bare aluminum creates a lot of friction and applying grease may not be what you want before painting but get a snug fit and try a little grease
the result will be a smooth acting door mechanism.

Ernst,

You're going to have to fill us in on your technique to get such a nice transition between the cabintop and the fuselage structure...

Did you fill it will balloons, then overlay with glass, then fill the weave with balloons again? That's really nice.

Back