What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 22-09 step 4 - remove trailing edge?

iamtheari

Well Known Member
This one strikes me as odd. Preceding steps on this page are to cleco the trailing edge into place, cleco and rivet the main ribs to each other, and then rivet the counterbalance to the nose skin. Step 4 is then to remove the trailing edge and "complete the riveting of the aileron," which presumably includes riveting in the trailing edge.

Is there any particular reason to remove the trailing edge at a time when it is the only remaining piece to rivet into the aileron? My inclination is to install it with VHB tape at step 1 on this page, before riveting the main ribs together. Trying to get the trailing edge out and back in, especially with tape on it, after riveting the main ribs seems like it would be a struggle.

Did you ever get an answer to this elsewhere? I have got to this stage and the plans make no sense. I am assuming that the TE stays in with the tape?

In step 1 you cleco the trailing edge in place in order to rivet the end ribs together in step 2. You couldn’t install the trailing edge at this point with tape. How would you assure alignment?

In step 3. you then rivet on the counterbalance.

This leaves the trailing edge as the only thing left in step 4.

It has to be removed in order to clean the skin and trailing edge itself, apply tape or sealant etc then reinstall as per section 5.8.

If you left it in place it would have to tape. If you added tape earlier you would have done so before the end ribs were riveted.

I reckon at step 4 you remove the trailing edge, clean it and apply tape etc while it is flat on the bench (same as the flaps). Then once it has cured you can proceed with trailing edge riveting.

This was my technique for getting the trailing edge in with tape on the flaps - was fairly straight forward. https://tasrv14.blogspot.com/2021/09/21-09-10-riveting-flap-skins-riveting.html?m=1

Last edited:
Did you ever get an answer to this elsewhere? I have got to this stage and the plans make no sense. I am assuming that the TE stays in with the tape?

Nobody responded. I think I did the same as TASEsq described. My plane is done with Phase I and a joy to fly. Build on!

Back