What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH planning

alcladrv

Well Known Member
For those in the know: If I fly in and camp with my plane, where could I park a rental car during my stay at Airventure where I could access it somewhat conveniently (I know that's a relative term) and park it overnight with minimal cost?

Rental car?

You really don't need a rental car if you fly and camp. You can usually get a ride or call an Uber. You will most likely not spend a lot of time off airport. If you do get a car there are parking lots just across the road from homebuilt camping, assuming your bringing an RV. If you fly in a production aircraft there are other options for car parking but may not be as accessible.

Last edited:
Having been to Airventure 25 or so times, I'm aware of the daily parking lots, but had heard that overnight parking in those lots is not allowed. Nothing beats having access to a vehicle to get away from the hubbub at Wittman Field for a while. Oshkosh really is nice city and after getting a mile or two from the field, you wouldn't even know that there were so many people at the airport.

I second that you really don’t need a card. The transportation is fantastic and quick. They even go to grocery stores and back check it out and have fun.

OSH planning? What about SnF

No car needed at either, easy to get to places and you'll have plenty to do right around you.

We normally have a rental car at OSH. My wife and two of the kids fly into Milwaukee and drive up. We park the 195 in showplane parking, near the ultra light area. Outside the ultra light entrance gate is a family that rents parking spaces (Waupan Rd and Knapp St intersection). I think it’s $10-$15 per night. It’s very convenient and nice to go into town for something other than a burger.

There might be something similar near the experiment parking area. If not head down to the ultra light entrance.

I'd recommend Uber. Supports locals (in theory). Gotta be cheaper unless you're making 2, 3 trips a day. Super easy to meet them at the west side of home built camping, by the cellular antennas.

OSH: being there...... and driving.....and MORE

Had it been held, this would have been my 33rd year of attending and volunteering at OSH. Alas, something interfered with that. :(

A car can be handy but not necessary. Uber and busses travel to town. There is also usually someone around you if you are camping who has a car and would be willing to take you into town. You can also walk to places like West End Pizza (perhaps the best in town) across the street from the Hilton, on the West side of the field. People will also go to town and pick things up for you.

I help run the Vintage area and, during a Chairman phone conference two days ago, AirVenture......aka OSH......is being planned as we speak. They are working on the many ways to keep everyone safe as we will still be plagued by this pandemic that is interfering with everything in our lives. It will not be the same as previous years as far as gatherings, forums, crowds for the airshow etc. but, so far, THE SHOW WILL GO ON! To wit: It will be very helpful for you and everyone around you to GET YOUR VACCINE when you are eligible to receive it. They are planning on people attending will mostly be vaccinated. And will be helpful to keep you from possibly getting :eek:

I will post an update as I find out more...........

Do you know there is a gate at the 2 hotels where you can hop off the busses and escape for a break?

We met Van himself on a golf cart ride when he stopped as he had seats open. This was after the 2018 Sunday arrival madness, which he had been in and was quite fun to speak with.

Google pin:

Dropped pin
Near Oshkosh, WI
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WkJcQeUqM55vEm976

If you camp in Homebuilts, they have chopped minivans as "Welcome Wagons" and will help keep you mobile enough, also.

The red roof inn at the Google pin also sells parking and as long as the interior busline is running is a town-ez option, rental car, walk, buy a used bike at goodwill or a vendor special, get rideshare or just avoid some parking lot traffic.

Last edited:
We normally have a rental car at OSH. My wife and two of the kids fly into Milwaukee and drive up. We park the 195 in showplane parking, near the ultra light area. Outside the ultra light entrance gate is a family that rents parking spaces (Waupan Rd and Knapp St intersection). I think it’s $10-$15 per night. It’s very convenient and nice to go into town for something other than a burger.

There might be something similar near the experiment parking area. If not head down to the ultra light entrance.

Thanks for a helpful and informative response without the opinions.

All the above is good advice. I chair the homebuilt camping area along with a very merry band of others. Send me a pm and I’ll ask about parking overnight. Last year EAA intended to make significant changes to parking and the traffic flow. It’s been off my radar for a while but I’ll try to get back up to speed.
Jerry

:confused: Huh. Not sure I've ever seen a post on this site without an opinion. Like this one, for example..........:rolleyes:

Well, if folks would actually read the OP’s guestions and posts, he clearly states he has been to Oshkosh Airventure around 25 times. He states he wants a rental car and wants to know where he can park it nearby his camp site. Harping that he does not NEED a rental car is of no help to him.

Harping. Huh. :confused: I believe the purpose of this forum is for people interested in RVs in particular and flying in general. The heading for the OP's text was 'OSH planning'. That can include much more than the intent of his original posting: where to park a car he wants there. At last count 1,245 people had read this thread and I would bet most have not been to OSH 25 times and they would have gleaned some useful information from the subsequent posts.

For example: I expanded on my original post as I had information about OSH '21 that likely no one else on this list knew. Had nothing to do with renting cars. Had to do with "OSH planning....."

ANYway................:):):)

They are planning on people attending will mostly be vaccinated.

I suspect that prediction might fall into the category of wild speculation.

In the meantime I’ve just been reading through several threads on VansAirforce from around March 2020 pertaining to last year’s event (ultimately cancelled). Some of the posts are prophetic....some are hysterically funny....some are grossly incorrect ...and others are just plain silly. Here’s some of the predictions:

1. That Oshkosh 2020 would certainly be cancelled.
2. That Oshkosh 2020 would certainly go ahead.
3. That the “entire US population would be exposed to Covid 19 by the end of April 2020”.
4. That the EAA might financially collapse if Oshkosh 2020 didn’t proceed.

And then there were the posters who said they were going to fly to Oshkosh in 2020 even if it was cancelled....just to sit around on their own in the camping area. Pretty desperate in my view. :D

This year, as last year, I’m not placing too much importance on speculation that appears to emanate purely from wishful thinking.

An answer

A direct answer to your question is that you can park the car directly west of HBC. I believe that is the Orange lot. The HBC is usually the last few rows of the overall homebuilt area. Having a car has some advantages.

As far as getting a car, check or put an ad on Craigslist looking for a private car that you can rent. I know several that have done that. It is usually much cheaper and very convenient. I have volunteered flying the Bell 47's for the last ten years. I didn't want to tent camp anymore. I rent a 5th wheel from a private couple. They have become great friends. They set it up for me and have a 6er of Spotted Cow iced down when I arrive.

Lots of ways to get around!!

For those in the know: If I fly in and camp with my plane, where could I park a rental car during my stay at Airventure where I could access it somewhat conveniently (I know that's a relative term) and park it overnight with minimal cost?

My group had a car twice in past years:
2003 - We were camped in the North 40 (pre-RV days). Our friends airlined to Chicago, rented a car, then parked in what is now H Lot, on the north side of HBC, while camping under our wings.
2010 - Sploshkosh - We and most everyone else camped at Fond du Lac. One of the guys in our group had a brother living nearby who let us borrow his Chevy Suburban for the week. The Hilton Garden Inn graciously let us park the Suburban in their lot all day long.

Just a note for the OP - there are a considerable number of changes to the parking lots for Airventure this year, and some of those changes are still being finalized, so take whatever you get based on previous years (with regards to the colored lots) with a little suspicion. Things are going to be different!

Just a note for the OP - there are a considerable number of changes to the parking lots for Airventure this year, and some of those changes are still being finalized, so take whatever you get based on previous years (with regards to the colored lots) with a little suspicion. Things are going to be different!

Exactly. Being "in the loop" I will post things on a different thread as I find things out. And even then, things are in constant flux. Working OSH, we "roll with the punches" and somethings we find out what will be happening that day at our AirOps morning meeting (with Chairmen from the entire field)! Remember SploshKosh? We sometimes had multiple meetings a day to get things figured out. You would be amazed at the "behind the scenes" activities that keep OSH working smoothly!

There have been some interesting proposals already but planning is in the VERY early stages. The Parking Flow studies were actually conducted by a University study group last year even before The Virus so changes in where the parking will be and how to get there will definitely be different. Stay tuned......:)

Changes and proposals will also be published in Sport Aviation and on the EAA AirVenture web site. We try not to have too many last-minute surprises.....but it is OSH...........:D

Back