What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

how do i rivet the elevator root?

I only watched a small portion of your video. If you could post a simple picture or tell us a time stamp to go to on the video that may help us help you.

Off hand I don?t recall any difficulty riveting the elevator root.

Bevan
Abbotsford BC

It looks like you are asking about the first couple of rivets at the leading edge? Yes, you open the fold. It feels like you are un-bending it, but it will go right back. I would use a straight shank, not that offset one. It helps to have someone hold the piece down and open while you rivet.

Backriveting Trailing Edge

Yes, you can open the "flap" enough to do standard backriveting. I just used my head (physically!) and did it myself but it may help to have an assistant. As you are aware, use caution to prevent the bottom piece from lifting off of the backrivetting plate, which it will want to do...
I also used a longer, straight backriveting set.
One more tip: try using standard, "Scotch" tape, even less expense than the Blue tape!
Nice videos!

ok awesome guys thanks, i was worried about bending the elevator open too much. ill drill those out and get someone to give me a hand.

Couple of tips

Small grommet from HD or Lowes when looking at it from the sides looks lie 2 U shapes back to back has enough squish to go around rivet and force the parts together while you are riveting, if sections don't want to stay togetheror they are stubborn. Also I think I saw someone say take "fuel Line" for model airplanes and cut them into slices. That works same way.

To hold open pieces if you don't have extra hands you can take some light string and run through a couple of rivet holes and tie it off to hold pieces open.

Elevator

I use the small windshield washer rubber hose. Slice off a doughnut. Lasts for several rivets.
When you open the elevator skin, find a way to keep it open till you're done. Don't flex back and forth any more than necessary.

Couple of tips

Small grommet from HD or Lowes when looking at it from the sides looks lie 2 U shapes back to back has enough squish to go around rivet and force the parts together while you are riveting, if sections don't want to stay togetheror they are stubborn. Also I think I saw someone say take "fuel Line" for model airplanes and cut them into slices. That works same way.

To hold open pieces if you don't have extra hands you can take some light string and run through a couple of rivet holes and tie it off to hold pieces open.

I use the small windshield washer rubber hose. Slice off a doughnut. Lasts for several rivets.
When you open the elevator skin, find a way to keep it open till you're done. Don't flex back and forth any more than necessary.

OMG the fuel line trick is a great idea! Thank you both! This is why I chose Vans!

You dont need a helper, just push that skin back and get your rivet gun in there, dont kink the skin. For those overdriven rivets the hole is probably bored out too big now for an AN3, if you drill out the rivet you might need to open up the hole larger now for an ?oops rivet?. (AN4 shank with and AN3 head)

Back