What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attitude Gyro

Robb

Well Known Member
My vacuum operated gyro started to die today while flying back from Oregon. I need to replace it and was thinking of getting a new Garmin G5 to replace it with. I can easily remove the vacuum lines from it and wire in a circuit. I already have an auto pilot linked to my 430 Garmin that works great and I know the G% links as well. I was wondering what the best one to replace the vacuum type is? Eventually i want to remove the vacuum pump as I don't really see a need for it all it will run is the DG. Thanks

Dues gladly paid

G5 or GRT Mini

I ended up with the G5 and Backup Battery. My panel is mainly Dynon so I wanted a backup from a different manufacturer. The G5 has a serial connection to the GTN650. The Mini would have been my first choice but it didn't fit in the space I had after removing the Dynon D6. The Mini is 4.35" wide, the G5 is 3.42"

I have been very happy with the G5. Garmin did a nice job with the internal GPS antenna. I thought for sure I'd need to use an external antenna but the internal one works great, even at the top of the center stack in the 10.

Gary

180h7a.jpg
[/IMG]

Also, if you have the room on your panel you can flush mount them. I have the G5 as well and it'a nice addition.

You can purchase a second G5 Experimental version and use it as an HSI. Coupled with a Garmin magnetometer (the latter is a slight PITA to install, as the directions require it to be within 2 degrees of the horizon in level flight and away from major electrical components), it offers everything you need.

Three major advantages: First, the battery backup on both lasts longer than your fuel will. Second, you can quickly convert the HSI into an attitude indicator (two button pushes) if you need a back up, and three, you get rid of the vacuum system entirely.

Get the G5

You won't be sorry. It's a great gadget. Huge bang for the buck in terms of redundancy, reliability, etc. when you include the backup battery.

Hi Oly , yes i did realize it would go in the round hole. It's just that all my panel is round and I just don't want to disturb the look. I just purchased a trutrack gemini autopilot and am putting it where my electric turn and bank instrument is as that gyro has gone south. Got looking at my standard horizon/DG and thought about getting rid of those for the light weight stuff. The gemini weighs about 8 oz but I think it has some short comings as a true artificial horizon if I am interpreting what I have read properly. I saw a guy on u-tube making a final approach and it was giving a false indication of where the nose of his plane was pointing. It is round however and I thought about buying another one to replace my vacuum horizon. Then just need another DG to eliminate the vacuum system and keep the original look of my panel. Not sure yet however.

The gemini weighs about 8 oz but I think it has some short comings as a true artificial horizon if I am interpreting what I have read properly.

You are correct about the Gemini. Short term it uses accelerometers to come to an attitude solution, but long term it defaults to rate of turn (for bank) and rate of climb (for pitch). So prolonged slow flight at constant altitude will result in a nose-level indication. As a precaution, the larger instrument will flash a warning if airspeed gets too low, but I don't think the smaller instrument does.

My attitude gyro died in July. Had just overhauled the DG as it died in May.

Got a G5 at AirVenture from Stein. Had it hooked up in my bedroom on a power supply for 2 weeks. Ended up liking the way the G5 worked on the bench so much I got a 2nd G5 and magnetometer from Stein and got rid of the entire vacuum system saving something like 5.75 pounds.

I do not have the backup battery. I am wired to my essential bus and have emergency feed through a fuse directly off the main battery or through a diode off the main bus. Wired that way, one does not need the expensive Garmin backup battery.

Stein should be able to provide 2 - G5s, magnetometer, and all the other stuff for under $3K so that you can get rid of all the vacuum stuff.

G5

Hi Doug,

Ref your post above, I too started with a steam gauge panel with all round instruments. I liked the look but eventually eliminated all the vacuum stuff saving some considerable weight. First change was to a conventional electronic Att gyro (ie- still big & not the G5 EFIS style). Later installed a very compact lightweight used Gemini PFD I got here on the forum for a really good price (no pics though). Flew with the PFD for a while but it always lagged a bit and was never bright enough in sunlight. I wanted to stick with a round compact modern electronic Att indicator but couldn’t find any other than the TruTrak and it just wasn’t bright enough.

Finally ended up with the G5 and a backup battery and I love it. It does fit in the same hole and is a bit bigger on the panel but has more capability than the PFD and WAY brighter. Considering doing the flush mount like BCP Boys for a cleaner look but right now very happy with the G5. What I ended up with is a combined round/square (no vacuum) look on the panel but for now it’s very functional without doing a complete glass upgrade.

Believe it or not someone actually bought the boat Anchor (for $500 !!) in the lower center panel in the 1st pic. I think it was a Loran and I never could figure out how it worked.

Started with this:
25s4m0p.jpg

Then this:
rbb59f.jpg

And finally this:
imkrrb.jpg

Last edited:
Your cockpit looks cool. I like that carbon fiber look. Is that one of those touch screen gps's? i can't really see any buttons on it. If it is , how are you finding operating it in rough air as I have resorted to exclusively using my Ipad on a knee board so I can use it efficiently in all conditions. I have two other different mounts that I quit using. I wanted to upgrade my 295, which is mounted, but was afraid of mounted touch screen stuff do to my Ipad experiences. Heck, I've even had to work at using the knob on my icom to dial up a new frequency when in the ruff stuff so I am thinking about sticking to the old fashion button type stuff.

Back