What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Window Tint?

cderk

Well Known Member
Was wondering if anyone has come up with a good solution for blocking the scorching heat from the sun while flying their 10? I was looking at www.justplanetint.com - they have a $50 stick on piece as well as a $20 “slap shade”. Anyone using these?

Thanks
Charlie

My wife and I use the plastic stick on film that I purchase at Walmart. I cut three pieces. One piece goes entirely across the windscreen and covers the top 1/3 that I use for cruising south, another piece matches the entire side window, and a third is a 1 foot square for misc. positioning. The film uses static to cling to the window. It's cheap and comes in two shade of tint. I use the max tint.

Amazon has groups of 2 or 4 suction cup shades.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RJJDCXN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RPT4RKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also purchased a single one at Oshkosh a couple years ago from Rosen I think it was for $50, that works well also.

I bought the perimeter cling type that also work but the plastic will lose its shape if you don’t keep it flat, then won’t adhere correctly.

Last edited:
The Best I've seen are the "Kinder Fluff", also at amazon. Stick great and have two levels of blockage. They simply work much better than Boeing designs. :)

On the topic of tint, I plan Cee Bailey's windows/windshield in the Solar Gray tint. While its very close to Van's standard, has anybody inquired if they can produce just a shade darker? Nothing extreme to hinder night visibility, but something that is a little closer to automotive legal tint levels.

I bought a roll of the Gila window tint material (removable / 20% VLT) and installed on both the rear windows. Works well, but the optical clarity is not good enough for the front windows. Because of the curvature, I have a couple of small air bubbles that I couldn't get out. Helps for the passengers.

Larry

Thanks Guys - ordered the Kinder versions. Larry, I did consider the Gila tint. A fellow RV10 builder installed it and it looks great. I agree though on the clarity. Unfortunately the non-adhesive stuff isnt as clear - but its the only one compatible with our plexiglass windows.

Just ordered a complete set of Cee Bailey's RV10 windows and was wondering that as well. I use the Gila tint on a Diamond DA40 that I fly and it works well enough. Optical clarity is poor though. Plus is that you cut it any shape you want.

The vinyl wrap manufactures also make tint-wraps for windows, headlights, etc. I'm guessing they are just as flexible/moldable as their other wraps? I was thinking about this for my build. Has anyone tried these?

Thanks Guys - ordered the Kinder versions. Larry, I did consider the Gila tint. A fellow RV10 builder installed it and it looks great. I agree though on the clarity. Unfortunately the non-adhesive stuff isnt as clear - but its the only one compatible with our plexiglass windows.

What is the "Kinder version?" Was this good enough for the front windows? Would enjoy learning of better options.

Larry

The vinyl wrap manufactures also make tint-wraps for windows, headlights, etc. I'm guessing they are just as flexible/moldable as their other wraps? I was thinking about this for my build. Has anyone tried these?

The big issue with the adhesive based material is that the plexi bleeds air, albeit very slowly. This will cause the tint material to develop air bubbles under it. Madico made a special intermediate film that goes between the plexi and the tint to deal with this. However, it seems that they are no lonager manufacturing it when I called last summer.

Gila static cling tinting — any updated product feedback?

I’ve read some older threads on using Gila static cling tinting for aircraft windows. The product was supposedly approved for plexiglass, but I just watched the Gila installation video (on Amazon) and the video specifically says not to apply to plexiglass.

Curious if anyone has feedback on this product or would recommend a different product instead. The Phoenix sun is wicked hot in the summers and trying to find ways to keep the cockpit a bit cooler.

Many thanks!

I’ve read some older threads on using Gila static cling tinting for aircraft windows. The product was supposedly approved for plexiglass, but I just watched the Gila installation video (on Amazon) and the video specifically says not to apply to plexiglass.

Curious if anyone has feedback on this product or would recommend a different product instead. The Phoenix sun is wicked hot in the summers and trying to find ways to keep the cockpit a bit cooler.

Many thanks!

Was that video using the tint with adhesive on it? I used the GILA static cling on my rear windows, worked great.

Gila Static Cling tint

I just received a response from Gila customer service: they said their Static Cling tint material is safe for plexiglass. No adhesive….the product is designed to be removable.

Looking forward to trying it out.

Static cling tint only Gila brand or others, never any adhesive type. We did the 20 percent since a lot of Florida exposure. No issues with us for visibility. Some prefer the 35 percent, but that’s personal choice. You need to make a template for the windows, especially the door windows because of the compound angle changes. Have used static cling tint on multiple airplanes over decades and it’s the way to go.

Static Cling tinting

Rich, glad to hear your good experience with the product. Certainly is reasonable price for the product. Been flying for a long time in AZ without tinting and the cockpit gets plenty hot in the summer. Anxious to try it out.

static film

I do the same as Bill Payton, electrostatic film from the local automotive supply store.
It has been a while since my last purchase but I am certain it was less than ten dollars to cover the top portion of the windshield as well as a patch on either side of the doors.
It has been several years and I see no curling up or other deterioration.
It will come off easily without leaving a residue or discoloration.
I usually don't go for the "cheap" stuff but in this case its hard to beat.

Greenfilm window tint

I am installing this product as I speak. 35% VLT, 85% IR, 99% UV.
Going on slider portion.
They have 70% VLT I am going to try on the windscreen as an eyebrow rather than the full windscreen. Much lighter same specs as above.

RV9A

I will report how it works long term.

Attachments

• 04AC3EF1-F7CE-4412-9BAF-186D7E71836A.jpg
    04AC3EF1-F7CE-4412-9BAF-186D7E71836A.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 143
Any feedback from your friends on how easy they were to install and their general effectiveness? Also, I guess they need to be removed for night flying so are they easy to remove and re-install as required?

Thanks.

Jet shades is now making shades for Vans RV’s
https://jet-shades.com/
Two friends of mine with RV’s have gotten them for the RV 7 one being a slider and the other a tip up.

Window tint

The true test of my window tint will only be revealed in the Texas Heat. Right now very little of that.

I would say it is not easy to install and takes some patience. Unknown is how functional it will be.
This is a non adhesive static application and can be removed at anytime and reused. The real difficulty factor for doing this is making the template and cutting to size. Patience for the application. If your not a DYI and have the cash, I would look at an alternative for ease of getting there.
Thought I may try this route until I hear some more results from users of Jet Shades as price is a consideration.

I have been flying with shades since I designed them since 2016. I would say it is super simple and cheap to make these but to each their own. My thread linked below sort of explains what is used.

My choice of tint was far lighter in color as I wanted mainly to block UV. However I did choose a tint that also blocked Infrared in order to keep the heat down. Note, the shade is a separate layer that exists between you and the canopy. I find that the IR goes through the canopy, and gets blocked (or absorbed) by the shade, and ends up making the shade itself warm to the touch. I have never done any temperature tests but simply assumed that the blocked heat is just getting re-transmitted, or redirected inside the cabin space. Still, it will block direct sunlight from heating the surfaces inside the cabin.

Another interesting thing was an increase in internal reflections, as the shades are made from flat material, therefore do not have compound curvature like a canopy. They do change the nature of the reflections in the cabin, but of course will depend on your setup. I am completely encapsulated in the shades in my RV-4. My panel is white, so I see a lot of reflections, but not a big deal because my focus is at a distance.

old thread: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=139983
:)
Maybe I will make some patterns for my friend,s RV-12, -6, and -8...hmm

Attachments

• Canopy_Shades.jpg
    Canopy_Shades.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 55
Printing on Static Clings

Not to hijack this thread too bad, is it possible and feasible to print text on a static cling sunshade? If so, where would you take it to have it printed on; any old printshop?

George

Not to hijack this thread too bad, is it possible and feasible to print text on a static cling sunshade? If so, where would you take it to have it printed on; any old printshop?

George

I'd be inclined to start with custom vehicle graphics shops. Other than that, print shops, sign shops...

Back