What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Teach me how to CAMP out of the RV.

roofus4

I am taking the month of May off. I want to do a long trip in the RV, but in this time of Covid19, I’m worried about where to stay and whether any hotels or lodges would even be open. Camping comes to mind.

I’ve never considered it before now. I would be starting from scratch. I have absolutely nothing in regards to camping. I need ideas for everything! Tents, sleeping equipment, how to eat, how to pack it in the RV, and even suggestions on things like camping etiquette.

Then where to go? I live in TX. I’m thinking Idaho, Washington, or Oregon.

I know I’m asking a lot of questions, but thanks for your suggestions.

Edit:
I have an RV-7 taildragger
I will be solo (at least that is the current plan)

Last edited:
Wow. That will be such a great trip. I don't have any advice, just hope you take lots of pictures to post.

Here is my OSH packing list for camping. This is for my Cessna 195 so you'd have to scale to your RV. My 6 man tent is way to big for an RV. I don't always bring the food since it's pretty easy to get an uber to a store. However, in your case I'd bring a few days of food, beer and coffee just in case.

Aircraft tie down (claw)
Tie down ropes
Tools
Oil
Tent - 6 man
Pillow x 2
Sleeping bags
Air mattress
Air mattress pump
tarp
jet boil
jet boil fuel
small folding chairs
small folding table
Yeti cups
collapsible Yeti Cooler 30qt
coffee press
Coffee
Creamer
Spoons
Water
snacks
chips
cookies
towels
Soap & shampoo
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Flip flops
Running clothes/shoes
3 polo shirts
5 nice t-shirts
2 nice shorts
1 jeans
1 work short/t-shirt

It kind of depends on how old you are. My kids RV camp with a hammock, a sleeping bag, some Roman noodles and a lighter. My wife and I require quite a bit more equipment.

I wonder how safe is it to carry camping fuel or propane bottles in a RV. It would be nice to look into it to see how the pressure may affect the bottle?

During our mountaineering trip in Alaska, the bush pilot would not allow us to take fuel with us in the plane. They had some at the base camp that they would sell us there. Likewise on the pick up trip, we had to leave any/all unused fuel behind.

I wonder how safe is it to carry camping fuel or propane bottles in a RV. It would be nice to look into it to see how the pressure may affect the bottle?

During our mountaineering trip in Alaska, the bush pilot would not allow us to take fuel with us in the plane. They had some at the base camp that they would sell us there. Likewise on the pick up trip, we had to leave any/all unused fuel behind.

Get one of the camping stoves that burn anything, use 100LL. A little lead won't kill ya.

This is the wrong forum to ask this question. A Boy Scout or Backpacking might be a better place. I suspect that an RV6 thru RV14 will carry everything a very inexperienced backpacker might take on a trip. You don't have to be good at backpacking to be an awesome RV camper.

We could run a separate thread for topics like shelter, fire, clothing, cooking, packing, first aid, stoves.

I think the best advice I can give is to experiment in your back yard. When you think you have it down, go camping someplace near by. I mean cook, and purify water, and sleep. You will bring stuff you don't need, and leave home stuff you do need. Push yourself to get better and lighter and more comfortable. Leave cotton clothing at home, and take synthetics. You don't need a new wardrobe though. But if you must, you can find this stuff at the salvation army clothing store for pennies, not REI.

The second best advice I have is to schedule an Airplane Camping Symposium on Fox Island, MI where every camper demonstrates to everyone else his camping preferences.

For a comfortable sleep, a well made backpacking hammock with integral bug screen and a down under-quilt will give you a better nights sleep than your bed at home. With a simple rain fly you stay dry even if water is running underneath. Not so in a tent. But the Hammock needs two trees to set up up and you cant sleep with your buddy in your hammock. So a tent has its place and is a must in case trees are scarce.

A cast iron dutch oven is capable of cooking anything a chef can cook in a kitchen. There is nothing like being in the woods and eating like a king. Chicken Brownies, cake, bread, etc. But meat only stays cold so long. The best chicken I've had anywhere is so simple is cooked in a ditch oven. IT uses lemon, garlic, rosemary, salt & pepper.

A water purifier/filter opens up a whole new realm of camping in the bush away from people.

Refrigeration.....eggs not need to be kept cold. A big cooler filled with with beer and ice works for boats, but not so well with airplanes. The taste of Freeze dried back packing meals gets old quick. Dry Ice helps keep things colder longer and lighter with less space but it will freeze everything up, like milk.

I gotta shut up now.

Get one of the camping stoves that burn anything, use 100LL. A little lead won't kill ya.

The Colemand Gas Stove is my stove of choice for 30 years! Have you had luck doing this?

I use to use regular unleaded gas in mine and quite because of serviceability of the generator. I had gunk buildup in the generator. I suspect the lead fouls things. Now I just use the Coleman Fuel and have been running the same generator for the last 20 years or so.

They make bottles to carry the gas that look accident proof. I mean really tough. Gas burns hotter than Propane and has more calories per unit than propane. Another solution is a wood fueled camp stove. That takes some experience to get good at tit though. But light weight and no fuel to transport. Not a good idea for a novice I think.

Have a goal to be able to Start your fire with Flint and Steel...seriously. Its easy and the first time you have wet matches you'll be a believer. Flint and steel is lighter, cheaper, and more reliable than anything else I've come across including matches and a propane lighter wand. It wont blow up and it wont break.

Last edited:
Good Place to start . . .

I would look for an ultralight backpack setup list. That should fit in an RV.

Something like this https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/ultralight-backpacking-gear
Obviously tailor to your needs. Don't forget some kind of folding chair and something to cut and split wood
Unless you have a -10 then take everything you can imagine

I used an MSR Hubba Hubba NX tent at OSH this year and right out of the box. It stayed in place and did not leak a drop. I would get the larger version though, that can keep your gear inside and dry. A vestibule is ideal for getting shoes on and off protected. Having camped with the Boy Scouts nearly a hundred times in all weather, this tent was appreciated.

I also use a coleman liquid gas stove, but the back packer two piece style is better. My backpacking son uses the little butane bottles style. The fuel is heavier than the stove. Light is good, and b'packer gear is durable and light, and in the aviation unit $ category as expected. What you carry with for personal gear falls in the same category. Remember, isopropyl alcohol is a good deodorant. :)

I might move up to an air mattress though, sleeping on rocks is not as much fun as 50 yrs ago.

I am taking the month of May off. I want to do a long trip in the RV, but in this time of Covid19, I?m worried about where to stay and whether any hotels or lodges would even be open. Camping comes to mind.

I?ve never considered it before now. I would be starting from scratch. I have absolutely nothing in regards to camping. I need ideas for everything! Tents, sleeping equipment, how to eat, how to pack it in the RV, and even suggestions on things like camping etiquette.

Then where to go? I live in TX. I?m thinking Idaho, Washington, or Oregon.

I know I?m asking a lot of questions, but thanks for your suggestions.

My suggestion for a complete novice is to try car camping for one or two nights in your local national forest using the various lists posted in thread. Try and fit all your gear/food inside the trunk of your car as though it is the RV baggage compartment. If you find that you are missing something, put that in your list before embarking on an airplane camping trip. If you find things you don't use, then leave them out.

Personally, I used to backpack a lot so my camping supply list is very minimal and light weight compare to most people.

When I had a sr22 I dropped my backpacker friends off in the rocks here in co a few times and picked them up later on through hikes. They like the big Agnes tents and the tarp tents

Op didn't mention what rv he has so I'm working under the assumption it needs to fit in baggage.

Costco locally had the boxes of mountain house freeze dried food for about 80 bucks, that would be nice to have in a pinch.

+1 on the advice to try it out locally first. Everyone is different. As a long time backpacker I?d be happy with a sleeping bag (synthetic, not down, if there?s any chance of rain), closed cell foam pad, and a gor-tex bivi sack. The wife, otoh, wants a tent large enough to stand up in, air mattress, two burner stove.
BTW, someone else mentioned the -10 and airplane camping. In 2017 we flew to OR to see the eclipse, and camped at the airport. Carried the standing room 4 person tent, another very small tent for privacy around our port-a-pottie, two burner stove, sleeping bags, air mattresses, ice chest, etc. And 4 adults. Had to only take 50 gal of av gas, and watch cg with loading, but the -10 flew fine. This is one of the things it was made for! Felt sorry for all those stuck in traffic as we left to fly home. As to carrying gas: I?ve used the aluminum bottles made to backpack gas, never any issues in the plane or backpacking to 14,000?. Just keep in mind not to throw them in the plane unrestrained. In an ?off airport landing? you don?t want these things flying around the cabin.

From your profile, it looks like you have a -7? If so, plenty of room for most comforts for a few days, especially if it is just you. Lots of good advice, mine is to get a tent sized one person bigger than the occupants (3 man tent for 2 people, etc,), and get a quality one that will stand up to the weather. Enjoy your VSTLOA!

....I think the best advice I can give is to experiment in your back yard. When you think you have it down, go camping someplace near by. I mean cook, and purify water, and sleep. You will bring stuff you don't need, and leave home stuff you do need.

I'm here in East Texas if you want to test your skills. www.facebook.com/vacamooairport/

Once you get everything sorted out in your back yard and in the RV you could fly here since it's close and in a controlled friendly environment. Although we have toilets and showers, you don't have to use them for your test camping, but then you might and that will tell you where you want to camp in the future, with or without showers. It's all free too so it would give you an idea of what to expect and go back home before you take on a long far away trip.

Getting some sleep

I have some experience with camping and I would recommend using a Go-Kot and Thermarest pad over any type of on the ground air mattress or pad. Works on sand, gravel, rocks, tundra...you name it...I also recommend a 4 season tent, Northface VE25 or Cabelas Alaska Guide Model 4 person...

this is my camping list abridged...

Tent
Stove
Cooking & Eating Untensils
Bottles of Propane
Water Bag & Filter
First Aid Kit
Tarp
Water Proof Matches
Small chairs
100 Rope (Parachute cord)
Sleeping Bag
Hiking Boots
Rain Gear
Head Lamp
Binoculars
Day Pack
Jacket
Shirts
Pants 1
Underware
Gloves
Socks
Water Bottle

Personal
Tooth Brush
Tooth Paste
Comb
Soap
Book
Towel

Another thing to consider is that some tents require staking which might be difficult/impossible on a ramp.

You can go very light with some effort. My entire base load, everything except food and water came to 10 lbs, enough stuff to live in the woods for days at a time. This included the pack.

I'm here in East Texas if you want to test your skills. www.facebook.com/vacamooairport/

Once you get everything sorted out in your back yard and in the RV you could fly here since it's close and in a controlled friendly environment. Although we have toilets and showers, you don't have to use them for your test camping, but then you might and that will tell you where you want to camp in the future, with or without showers. It's all free too so it would give you an idea of what to expect and go back home before you take on a long far away trip.

Same here. We live on a private airport (2OK2) and have "facilities" right in our hangar. You could sample it out here. Camp right on the airport at your airplane.

Last edited:
Camping Gear = Survival Gear

Use the required Alaska survival gear for camping.

Gives an opportunity to check the condition and verify it is still usable. If I damage it, great, now know not to buy that item again, great excuse to try some other brand.

Here in Alaska it is possible to setup right at the tie-down at most places. Seward, AK during fishing season looks like a camp ground.

Orcas Island, WA KORS, has a camping area setup in the grass tiedown area. They also have a hot shower available. Courtesy car or bicycle available, short walk to town if those aren't available.

Real peaceful area, great view, really interesting airplanes to watch as well.

You could always fly to one of the hot springs in Idaho. Lava, Miracle, Downy, are a few used to visit. Nothing better than a natural hot tub to relax in.

If you know where to park, near Stanley, ID, in the Salmon River, there is a hot water spring that dumps into the river. You can float around finding different temps. Several huge boulders have been rolled into position to create a large area of slow moving water.

On the outside of that ring is another, you can float your beer in cold water to keep it cool. Probably can't do that any more!

To best feel the effects of the river, you need to be at the Stanly Rod & Gun Club on the 4th of July. Some call it the Stanley Stomp. It is the best river to be in on the 5th of July!

Mike

Orcas is a cool little airport. You kinda need a car there though. A bit odd to get in and out ifr since the Canadians split it with Whidbey. Sounds like a fun adventure. I'm jealous

Last edited:
Try camping at home first in the backyard. If you forget something or didn?t realize that you need it, it is easy to grab and make a mental note. Likewise, if you didn?t use it make a note as well. You will figure where you sit on the camping to glamping spectrum.

I just cleaned out my camping foot lockers last weekend.

Enu Double Nest Hammock with load straps and bug netting x2 (I prefer hammock camping)
Kelty Salida 3 person tent
Rain fly x2 (I use both if we are hammock camping for individual rain flys or one for under the tent as a ground cover and one for a makeshift shelter)
Self inflating 1? sleeping pads x2 (The brand has worn off but only if I am tenting camping
Mummy bags if it is cold out or two poncho liners each if it is nice out (60F+)

For cooking....
MSR Pocket Rocket x2 with two fuel tanks. (You can double them up if you have larger pots or cook two things at one time.)
I have a coffee percolator with two metal cups that I can cook in as well.
A basic cook set that is designed for camping stoves like the MSR. (Small Skillet, Pots, plates and utensils.

2 light weight chairs we got from amazon that break apart to the size of a small umbrella.
1 light weight table similar construction. Table is 14? across or so.

Combat Medic Bag
K-Bar like knife
E-Tool
Led head lamp x2
Led table light
Small Goose neck fan x2
Goal Zero charger array x2

2 medium sized Yeti coolers (Food in one and beverages in the other). You open the beverages far more often and the food will stay cold much longer.

Everything but the tent and coolers fits into 2 backpacks with room for clothes and shoes.

We have used this for over a week at a time, but our sweet spot is a long weekend (3 nights / 4 days).

I am taking the month of May off. I want to do a long trip in the RV, but in this time of Covid19, I’m worried about where to stay and whether any hotels or lodges would even be open. Camping comes to mind.

I’ve never considered it before now. I would be starting from scratch. I have absolutely nothing in regards to camping. I need ideas for everything! Tents, sleeping equipment, how to eat, how to pack it in the RV, and even suggestions on things like camping etiquette.

Then where to go? I live in TX. I’m thinking Idaho, Washington, or Oregon.

I know I’m asking a lot of questions, but thanks for your suggestions.
Camping is both natural and acquired skill. So INTERESTING you never camped out and have no gear. :D OK. There are different types of camping, Backpack Camping, Motorcycle camping, Airplane Camping, Car/Truck Camping. I mention this because you will be LIMITED in weight and volume. I so wish I had a picture of all the camping gear I stuffed in the baggage compartment in my RV.

What temps will you be in? May it will be cool in the mountains and hot in valley. Pack for both.

Basics
Tent (light weight one or two person backpack or compact tent, rain fly is must) Don't go cheap but then again you don't need to spend $100's

Sleeping bag or sleeping roll (I like a small pillow, blow up pillow is marginal but better than nothing)

Blow up pad (because you will be sleeping on the ground)

Cooking. A small back pack stove is good. I use JETBOIL. It is all in one and has a container to heat water or even cook. For coffee I heat water and use a French Press. For food, that is a whole topic. Google it.

Ice chest - Use Styrofoam ice chest, light, cheap, efficient. Careful not to crack it and usually wrap in large garbage bag if it weeps or leaks. They are water tight but I re-used two of them for years and years. Eventually they broke down. I have plastic ice chest and I find the Styrofoam only ice chest keeps ice better than the store bought plastic ones.

Clothes - Pack light and right for conditions. Some materials can be hand washed and dry fast. Don't forget TP and garbage bags to fly out your garbage. Leave it like you found it.

WHERE - If you camp out with NO facilities, no power, water you will need to bring it. To charge your phone or iPad a solar panel is nice and Aux Li-Ion battery pack. Water? You will need to bring it if you can't get it Some places you land will have water, ride into town to get food and supplies. Temperatures? Gear up accordingly. First Aid? Bring things you need, sun screen, First Aid, ibuprofen.

FLY IDAHO (booklet)... Johnson Creek ID is my favorite. It is a long manicured grass strip in the mountains. READ ALL THE INFO ON HOW TO GO IN AND OUT OF THIS STRIP or ANY MOUNTAIN STRIP.... I has nice permanent clean outhouse, water and an "airport" car to go into a nearby small town of Yellow Pine to get food and supplies (not sure if this still applies). There is usually a care taker at the airport. No fuel.

Camp in your back yard! (or front yard if you don't care what neighbors think) - Learn to set up and breakdown your tent, sleep in it, make meals in your yard without going into the house. Better to find out now what you need and how to use it in your yard than at some remote air strip.

As a Boy Scout I camped out, often on week long backpack trek along Appalachian trail. Backpacking or mountaineering is the most stripped down minimal gear you can get. All my gear and food for week was on my back. I joke now anything under 4 star hotel is camping. However I love destination camping. However in an airplane you can do a little better than backpacking level of gear.

Motorcycling camping was more challenging than airplane camping, as far as available volume of stuff you can bring is less. I have a BMW with side and top bags I travel on, camp out over the years. That is where I got serious and bought very compact light good quality gear. I have VERY compact fold out chair and table. I have a high tech tent with rain fly. Really TENTS ARE TENTS. You do get what you pay for to a point. You will also NEED LIGHT for night time. So flashlights and LED lights are great. I also bring a LI-Ion battery pack to power my phone and other things. During the day I charge the battery pack off the plane/motorcycle battery or solar cell. I learned a lot going to a BMW motorcycle rally and camp out at Barber Motorsports Track a few years ago. I saw some pretty awesome camp set-ups motorcyclist came up with...

Car Camping? I have totally different gear, bigger, heavier, volume is not as limited. Airplane camping (RV) has limits, but with MODERN GEAR that is light and efficient, there are many clever designs to choose from; it is easy to keep weight and volume down but you will MAX OUT your RV 2-place bird. If you have a C180, C182, C210 or RV-10 it is closer to car camping, you can bring bigger tent, more food, larger chairs. Bigger heaver gear is cheaper than the super light compact gear. For example you can fly out to a bigger airport and town and get a ride to the store for shopping, they fly back to the remote strip.

You will have to research this "Camping" topic and buy on line at this time. If you get a chance to good to go to big outdoor stores like REI and look at gear it helps. There is so much to choose from. HOWEVER it is pretty PRIMAL... living outside like people did 1000's of years ago is natural. It's basically survival. Reminds me survival guides and books are good to know. That also reminds me be very careful if you don't know about navigating on the ground, have a compass, portable GPS. Phones often don't work in mountains. PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) is great but cost money; however you can use it for flying. Many first time (and experienced hikers) get lost in the woods. Term "orienteering" is the ability to use a map and compass to navigate (like "Pilotage"). Compasses with sights are used to sight off landmarks and then orientate it to the map and even triangulate. GPS is pretty reliable; however the ability to use map, compass and landmarks is a good one which may come in handy one day when Mr. GPS takes a dump. Also BE AWARE OF WEATHER the whole time you are on the ground. Any one who camped out at Oshkosh or Sun-N-Fun and weather blew threw can attest to that. Last watch some camping movie comedy gone wrong for fun.... it might happen. That is part of the fun. It is an adventure and you don't really know for sure what might happen. (Don't watch the Movie "Deliverance" Ha ha.)

Last bring some kind of self defense, be it pepper spray, bear spray, knife, club (check the laws). I don't usually conceal carry when I fly, because of all the rules which might risk a weapons charge. Some State or City Parks are forbidden to have guns for example. However I believe you can carry an empty gun in a locked case almost anywhere in your vehicle and even in the airport (as checked bag). The ammo is locked up and located separate it should be legal (check laws). When in a car, driving through Illinois my carry permit is not recognized in this state. So before going across the state line into IL, I unload my gun and lock it in a case in trunk. If you land where you can arm yourself, you can put your gun in battery (loaded and ready to fire). When I hike in places I know are good to carry, I go armed. You never know if there is some hungry wild life that might want to make you a meal. Surprisingly high number of people every year are attacked by Bears, mountain lions, coyotes, Moose (very dangerous), snakes, wild pigs. Again you are outdoors in their neighborhood.

Last edited:
There is a LOT of good info in the camping section, just nothing recent.

Select the Camping group from the Forum Jump at the bottom of this page.
In the "From The" box, change it to "Beginning" and click on "Show Threads".

This is what you shoudl see.

I have done a LOT of backpacking and RV camping and the one thing that you should avoid is the small canisters of pressurized gas (LP). I have seen the valve let go while backpacking in the mountains out west. I can only imagine what would happen, if that happened inside an aircraft. (I use a white gas stove that I depressurize before flight.)

NC08.jpg

I have carried the little green Coleman propane canisters into the flight levels unpressured with no issues. The pressure differential from altitude change is not more than leaving one out in the sun awhile. Lots of different threads like this https://backcountrypilot.org/forum/jetboil-fuel-cell-in-cockpit-19284

7psi is insignificant
While I agree, it shouldn't be an issue but after hearing that canister go off in my friend's backpack, no way would I EVER allow one in my plane.

There is no way to detect a defective valve prior to it letting go.

To each their own.

NC08.jpg
[/QUOTE]

WOW, great pic to remind us of the great times. I could use a little of that right now. LOVE camping in the rv, or flying south. This time last year was already on our way to the bahamas. Sad times. Would love to get back to enjoying flying and visting places/camping with plane etc. Good time will return

WOW, great pic to remind us of the great times. I could use a little of that right now. LOVE camping in the rv, or flying south. This time last year was already on our way to the bahamas. Sad times. Would love to get back to enjoying flying and visting places/camping with plane etc. Good time will return
We just went for a day hike in the mountains yesterday to see some waterfalls. Great day and a fun time had by the three of us. I love living in the Carolinas!

Tips

When we fly south we love flying over the hills. We have spotted some great little town on rivers and small lakes up in the hills and even a few little strips right close to the little towns. We are very low maintenance but love small towns and people as long as a decent meal and decent hotel. Any tips for the transient pilots on good overnight stops off the beaten path in the Carolina's? Any camping spots or cute towns would be ideal. When heading to islands we are usually in a hurry to get Canada to Ft lauderdale or Ft Pierce first day, but we always see great places underneath us we wish we x'd for a stop. Any tips welcome. Cheers, Rick

When you look for a tent, consider one sized for one more person. Solo camping, get a two person, two of you will need a three person tent. Buy a quality tent. We use a Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 person tent backpacking for the two of us.
Foam sleeping pads are not thick enough for my old bones. Get a good air pad. Also if you have never used a sleeping bag, get on rated for temps much colder than you plan to encounter. A 10* bag will keep you alive at 10* but you won?t sleep. Don?t get a mummy bag if you like to move while sleeping.

When we fly south we love flying over the hills. We have spotted some great little town on rivers and small lakes up in the hills and even a few little strips right close to the little towns. We are very low maintenance but love small towns and people as long as a decent meal and decent hotel. Any tips for the transient pilots on good overnight stops off the beaten path in the Carolina's? Any camping spots or cute towns would be ideal. When heading to islands we are usually in a hurry to get Canada to Ft lauderdale or Ft Pierce first day, but we always see great places underneath us we wish we x'd for a stop. Any tips welcome. Cheers, Rick
Finding a place to camp is always a challenge and takes a number of phone calls.
Some of the strips I have taken the -9 into would be marginal for an "A". The two lone exceptions are the one where that picture was taken and of course Triple Tree.
Contact me the next time you head this way and I might be able to hook you up.

This is always nice but you have to get permission and the owner has to make sure the cows have dug holes in the middle of the runway. Also, there are a lot of ticks, snakes, wild boars, etc. to be aware of. The on shore breeze can and has push you into the trees, so the landing and takeoffs can be a bit interesting at times.

While I agree, it shouldn't be an issue but after hearing that canister go off in my friend's backpack, no way would I EVER allow one in my plane.

There is no way to detect a defective valve prior to it letting go.

To each their own.

If it went off in a pack it's probably most likely to some mechanical interaction with the valve and not the pressure, imo

If it went off in a pack it's probably most likely to some mechanical interaction with the valve and not the pressure, imo

You are right, it was probably the valve that let go as the canister had been used. There is no way to verify if the valve is good or bad on those canisters, there is no way I would ever let one of those ride in my plane and I STRONGLY recommend against carrying one in any plane.

Even the airlines, which pressurize to ~8,000' won't allow them onboard, why would you risk it?

(We were above 11K when her canister let go, which is well within the pressure altitude of our planes cruising at 8,000 feet. I depressurize my white gas stove every time I put it away and double check it when putting it in the plane. Also, of our hiking group, my old white gas stove is the only stove that has worked above 14K feet and below -6*F. Those canister stoves freeze, plug up, or just fail. Very cool idea and work most of the time but I want a stove that works ALL of the time.)

Holy smokes! You guys are awesome! That?s a lot of info to digest. Thanks for all that. Now I?m worried I don?t have enough time to put all this together by May. :eek:

Yes, I have an RV-7, and I plan to go solo.

I have 2 ?Smoke System Helper? aux fuel tanks behind the seats. So my cargo area is about 4? shorter, front to back, than a normal RV-7. That might be a bummer in this case, but I wouldn?t trade my aux tanks for anything. I do have the unoccupied right seat though too.

I?m 45 yrs old. No kids. Unfortunately, my wife of 18.5 yrs passed away back in July. She was a hiker, but very much not a camper. We always did hotels. That?s why I?m starting from scratch with the gear. It?s kind of a new beginning to my new life. A great opportunity to expand my horizons.

I think, to keep things manageable for a novice camper, I?m going to look for airports that are camping friendly with some amenities on the field, like Johnson?s Creek. At least water and outhouse. I want to do some hiking, but more of the ?day hiking? type. May I need to find places that do have some sort of access to rental cars? Not sure how that works in this time of Covid-19. Sounds like food and water will be the heaviest items.

I appreciate your lists of items too! Those are super helpful. So many things you don?t think about. I?m learning just how advanced this whole camping/backpacking thing is. Some of that gear is amazing.

I also appreciate your advice on not getting lost, and preparing for that kind of flying as well. Sounds like I may have to buy some books.

...That?s why I?m starting from scratch with the gear. It?s kind of a new beginning to my new life. A great opportunity to expand my horizons.

Sorry to hear about your wife's passing!

https://www.campmor.com/ is a good source for equipment. Their prices are reasonable and they have good customer service.

This Coleman Explorer is a good white gas stove and will give you years of trouble free service. Also purchase an extra fuel bottle for it.

For sleeping, I like to use a Z Rest. The reason is they don't pop. While not as comfortable as a self inflating sleeping pad, they don't go flat. (I punctured mine two days into a 13 day hike and replaced it with a Z Rest.)

Good luck and please post about your adventures.

REI.com is a good source for a wide variety of things.

A search for ultralight backpacking will bring up many interesting and useful things, but they are often minimalistic, so be careful.

I prefer the air mattresses to the thinner foam ones, even though the foam ones are often lighter. The extra thickness is a comfort to my old bones. Although I used to be fine sleeping with no pad at all, I seem to have aged out of that.

The dual fuel stove is a good idea. I have an older multi-fuel stove that ran fine on jet fuel or 100LL, but prefers white gas. Look around. Avoid older stoves like my ancient Svea, which works fine but is unrelentingly finicky.

The comment to get a tent one size larger than the number of people in it is an excellent suggestion. So was the comment to get a four-season tent. Look for ease of setting up; this is surprisingly important because you might be tired and it might be close to dark when you arrive. Free-standing is good. Don't plan on using it on the ramp as the hard surface will rapidly abrade the bottom, especially where the poles are. If the tent has provisions for stakes (highly recommended) get an extra one or two, and longer is better than shorter. Titanium is a good stake material.

A vestibule is a good thing for a tent to have. It gets you out of the rain (of course it'll rain at some point) while you're taking your shoes off.

One night I set up a new free-standing tent and then someone offered me the use of a hangar. I spent the night in there, leaving the tent set up but unoccupied, not my brightest move. The next morning, after a storm had passed through, I found my tent 1/4 mile away in a gully, intact but resting on its site. Winds happen.

After rain or a heavy dew, the tent is likely to be wet. Have a plan for that.

Dave

Also consider the thoughts that the tarp tent people offer. Although they may be unsuitable for some of the conditions you encounter, they aren't all bad.

You have wings.... so a custom tarp tent, with a wing for support, might work out.

I've had good luck with solar showers, but then again I have a high wing airplane.

Dave

You are right, it was probably the valve that let go as the canister had been used. There is no way to verify if the valve is good or bad on those canisters, there is no way I would ever let one of those ride in my plane and I STRONGLY recommend against carrying one in any plane.

Even the airlines, which pressurize to ~8,000' won't allow them onboard, why would you risk it?

(We were above 11K when her canister let go, which is well within the pressure altitude of our planes cruising at 8,000 feet. I depressurize my white gas stove every time I put it away and double check it when putting it in the plane. Also, of our hiking group, my old white gas stove is the only stove that has worked above 14K feet and below -6*F. Those canister stoves freeze, plug up, or just fail. Very cool idea and work most of the time but I want a stove that works ALL of the time.)

How about something like these canister caps?
https://www.toyboxtech.com/1lb-prop...SsZNZzCafGdOmdpkyGDZwq1Sj1ROtLrRoCrbwQAvD_BwE

Good point

For a comfortable sleep, a well made backpacking hammock with integral bug screen and a down under-quilt will give you a better nights sleep than your bed at home. With a simple rain fly you stay dry even if water is running underneath. Not so in a tent.

Indeed. I can verify that when your tent is sitting in ankle-deep standing water after at least three Old Testament-level thunderstorms, things inside will tend to get a bit.... damp.

I'm talking about you, opening weekend of Oshkosh 2019!! And I had a similar experience at "Sploshkosh" 2010 before that!!! The latter was when I learned the true difference between "water proof" and "water resistant" tents. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Central NC hide-out/camp out

I live adjacent to 8A7 Twin lakes in central NC, just south of Winston-Salem. We have ample areas to pitch a tent on the airport (rural area in farm country) and neighbor even has nice ponds he will let you fish. I can usually accommodate a couple overnighters in our house, or you can camp on our property..have spare cars, and local transportation is no problem..several VAF peeps have been here. Fuel on field and usually an empty open hangar if needed, 7 RV-s on the field.

A while ago I mined similar posts and developed this Camping Kit

Shelter
1. Tent: waterproof and tall enough to stand (e.g. REI Grand Hut 4 with a 75" height)
2. Ground tarp (could impregnate with bug repellant)
3. Stakes / Tie-down pegs for tent and tarp
4. Cot (compact snap together)
5. Air mattress (e.g. Thermarest)
6. Pillow
7. Sleeping bag
8. Quart bag of ant poison granules (under and around tent)
9. Hanging fan/light(battery powered)
Personal Comfort
10. Bug spray (100% DEET)
11. Sunblock/Sunscreen
12. Chapstick
13. Ibuprofen
14. Ear plugs: sleeping
15. Eye shades: sleeping
Personal Hygiene
16. Soap
17. Shampoo
18. Razor
19. Shaving cream
20. Toothbrush
21. Toothpaste
22. Floss
23. Deodorant
24. Baby wipes
25. Toilet paper
26. Towels
27. Band-Aids
28. Antiseptic cream
29. Small plastic bottles with caps to hold shampoo and liquid soap
30. Hanging shaving/toiletries bag with a hook to hang in the shower
31. Suction cup hooks for the showers to hang clothes, toiletry bag, towel, etc.
Clothing
32. Hat(s)
33. Footwear: two pair
34. Footwear: Shower thongs / flip flops
35. Socks
36. Underwear
37. Shorts
38. Long pants
39. Wind pants
40. T-shirts
41. Long t-shirts (cotton)
42. Windbreaker
43. Thermal underwear
44. Swimsuit
45. Swim goggles
Food
46. Vitamins
47. Medications
48. Snacks: in a jar or re-sealable container/pouch.
49. Breakfast
50. Lunch
51. Dinner
52. Water bottle (e.g. Yeti)
53. A good bottle of whiskey
Cooking
54. Propane-powered coffee maker.
55. Propane stove
56. Insulated coffee cup/thermos
57. Utensils
58. Pot/pans
59. Dish soap
60. Scrubbing sponge
61. Cutting board
Other Equipment
62. Flashlight/LED light
63. LED head lamp, for using a port-a-potty at O-dark 30.
64. Lantern (LED)
65. Lawn chair
66. Camp chair - light and small folding backpacking camp chair
67. Charger: Cell phone
68. Charger: Backup (lithium battery pack)
69. Charger: Solar
70. Generator: Small
71. Backpack(s)
72. Mesh backpack (for security checkpoints)
73. Blanket (for evening movies).
74. Clothesline and clothespins (dry wet stuff)
75. Hand towels - easier to manage than big ones.
76. Garbage bags: Some kitchen size some larger

That's why I said "something like." :p
I don't have a need so I didn't search further, but if none are available they would be pretty easy to make with a lathe or have made.

Are these the right size/thread?
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...frl_UICLPd6_rDNatBi_DHmYfFUl99wBoCnIcQAvD_BwE

I have no idea, I don't use canister type camp stoves. My preference has always been to use a white gas stove (Coleman Peak, in my case.) You can depressurize them after use.

MRE's

Took my -4 to OSH last year and camped 4 days, my buddy had his F1 Rocket also. Didnt go overboard on gear since OSH has anything you forget, but the micro folding chairs and lightweight inflatable mattress/sleeping bag size, were mandatory.I honestly think traveling alone in my -4, I could have hauled a bunch more than needed. As travel food, my buddy had a case of MRE's, and it was my first experience with them..pretty darn good !! All self contained including heat..just add water. perfect when WX keeps you in the tent or hungry on a gas stop. I will ALWAYS carry them from now on.

Took my -4 to OSH last year and camped 4 days, my buddy had his F1 Rocket also. Didnt go overboard on gear since OSH has anything you forget, but the micro folding chairs and lightweight inflatable mattress/sleeping bag size, were mandatory.I honestly think traveling alone in my -4, I could have hauled a bunch more than needed. As travel food, my buddy had a case of MRE's, and it was my first experience with them..pretty darn good !! All self contained including heat..just add water. perfect when WX keeps you in the tent or hungry on a gas stop. I will ALWAYS carry them from now on.

MREs might be hard to get right now

Indeed. I can verify that when your tent is sitting in ankle-deep standing water after at least three Old Testament-level thunderstorms, things inside will tend to get a bit.... damp....

One of my sleeping bags has a Gore-Tex bottom. One frigid morning just below the Continental Divide, I learned its value, as the tent had about 2" of water in it. I was cozy and dry inside that wonderful sleeping bag.

Not cheap and worth every cent.

Dave

Back