What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N112DR First Flight

Crafting N112DR

Well Known Member
The first flight of N112DR on March 14, 2020.

The aircraft was slightly right wing heavy and the AHRS was not keeping a level attitude, also I need to adjust the AST trim indication. Anyone know if the stall horn is supposed to stay on for 5 second after recovering from a stall?

Please see first flight video here https://youtu.be/cdGVcMkeDjw

To see the chase plane video flown by Dave G, please visit the RV12 Pilot YouTube channel. The Test pilot was Dave H.

https://youtu.be/95g3gSxR9eY

oHW.jpg

Anyone know if the stall horn is supposed to stay on for 5 second after recovering from a stall?

Congratulations!

About the stall warning; it's not normal. The moment I unload the stall warning stops. Your artificial is also doing "funny" things especially during recovery

Congratulations!

About the stall warning; it's not normal. The moment I unload the stall warning stops. Your artificial is also doing "funny" things especially during recovery

Ya not sure if it's getting stuck or its a software function. Looking into, As far a the artificial goes I'm leaning towards maybe the Magnetometer not being calibrated correctly. But I really don't know.

Ya not sure if it's getting stuck or its a software function. Looking into, As far a the artificial goes I'm leaning towards maybe the Magnetometer not being calibrated correctly. But I really don't know.

Did you do the rosette procedure, in setup mode, to orient the device to magnetic north, before flying? you point the plane N, E, S, W with the GPS 2020 unit on, watching the satellite readings to get a good signal, to reorient the magnetic portion.

See instructions, for GPS 2020 antenna. Maybe that helps.

BTW, either weirdest looking optional tail dragger wheel ever, or a Go Pro located unusually far aft. ;-)

Last edited:
Did you do the rosette procedure, in setup mode, to orient the device to magnetic north, before flying? you point the plane N, E, S, W with the GPS 2020 unit on, watching the satellite readings to get a good signal, to reorient the magnetic portion.

See instructions, for GPS 2020 antenna. Maybe that helps.

BTW, either weirdest looking optional tail dragger wheel ever, or a Go Pro located unusually far aft. ;-)

Yes did everything per the G3X/G3X Touch Installation Manual, and yes that's a GoPro tail wheel.

Never been a Dad, but first flight seems to be the closest I will be ever be to watching my new born. Congrats, it?s quite an accomplishment only a relative few can boast about!👍

On your horizon issue, I would rerun in the configuration screens

1. The pitch / roll offset procedure
2. Also do the engine run up vibration test

Did you use the correct bracket for the magnetometer (compass) in the tail ?

The ADAHRS is located in the pilot side back of the baggage area (at least it is on mine unless a recent plane changed moved it). Have you confirmed that is firmly screwed down into its mounting plate and the mounting plate is secured securely in the baggage area ? I would verify all of this and then do the two things I mentioned above and after all that repeat the compass rose procedure.

On your horizon issue, I would rerun in the configuration screens

1. The pitch / roll offset procedure
2. Also do the engine run up vibration test

Did you use the correct bracket for the magnetometer (compass) in the tail ?

The ADAHRS is located in the pilot side back of the baggage area (at least it is on mine unless a recent plane changed moved it). Have you confirmed that is firmly screwed down into its mounting plate and the mounting plate is secured securely in the baggage area ? I would verify all of this and then do the two things I mentioned above and after all that repeat the compass rose procedure.

Thanks and yes, I will do all the above.

Back