What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing at Fallbrook, CA (L18)

rightrudder

Well Known Member
Here's the latest vid, shot with my new $65 Polaroid Cube camera. 1080p HD, at 30 fps. I'm pretty impressed with the quality and the nice vivid colors...note when I turn from the runway to the taxiway and the sun lights up the side. Better than I expected for the $$$$$. Field of view is narrower than a GoPro, but the image looks considerably sharper than a GoPro Session, and pretty close to the more expensive models.

I sparked up another $18 and bought a waterproof case that allows it to attach to all GoPro mounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUwoaEasrSI

http://www.polaroid.com/cube

Last edited:
Nice video. I lived in Fallbrook in the late '70s, even went to the high school there a couple of years. I only flew in there once in a C-152. I did my flying out of Oceanside (we ran the flight school there in '83).

It looks like a great town. I've driven by it numerous times on Highway 76, but have never explored any further. Gives me a great reason to fly back to meet my friend who's hangared there, and go into town for lunch.

Fallbrook is a Gem

I was based there off and on for 10 years, but moved to Arizona early this year. Fallbrook Airpark (L18) and the incredible weather are the only things I really miss about California. Its just 2100' long and always fun to land there. There must be 8 or 10 RV's there or under construction. The local pilots are very friendly and always willing to help someone out if they need it.

The sunsets are awesome and the night sky is too because there isn't much man made light to kill the view. Best part of the airport is that it is a family/spectator friendly airport. Very few left in California. Park your car 50' from the runway, eat lunch, let the kids and the dog play. Enjoy the views and judge the landings :D Nobody makes you stay behind the fence because there is No fence. I'll miss that.
Ron
RV-4

You're right, the friendly vibe is amazing. I wish I took some video of some of the people attending...mostly drive-ups, but there was a beautiful new Cub and a very slick Navion that had flown in. I met ex-RAF squadron leader Peter Griffiths there, who works in a management capacity at Fallbrook and French Valley as well. He flew F-4 Phantoms back in the day, and now has a Corvair-powered Pietenpol based at French Valley that I simply must check out.

And Marty, who flew a P-47 in the South Pacific in WWII. Sharp as a tack still! He was proud of the fact that he flew something like 80 combat missions and was never hit (though engaged by the enemy). And Tom Wilson, a good friend and long-ago magazine associate who writes for Kit Planes and has a Starduster bipe with far, far too much power.

My son lived in Fall Brook and had an airplane at the airport back in 2011. I stopped there for an over night after flying in from St Louis that day delivering the RV-7A to Jerry Cockran in Oregon.

I had flown with him out of there a number of times in a Peterson modified 182.
Great little airport and experience, November 2011.

Was an interesting trip through the corridor at LAX and up the coast to Oregon. Had to spend a night in Bend due to weather and discovered Deschutes Brewery, still doing their beer which is available in St. Louis. :)

Sounds like a great trip, David! I've yet to do the LAX corridor...I might try that en route to Camarillo for lunch.

Hi Marc,

Thanks!

It's on the underside of the horizontal stab, just inboard of the fiberglass tip. If you mount it there, just make double sure that there's no interference with elevator movement.

The mount itself is one of those stick-on GoPro mounts....kind of a slide-in receptacle. The adhesive is VERY strong, so I won't be removing it any time soon!

Last edited:
Back