What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick Magneto experts - Please help w/question

BSwayze

Well Known Member
I recently pulled the right magneto off my engine, to put it up for sale. It's a Slick 4370. I see what I thought was an impulse gear assembly on the front of it. But one gentleman here saw my post in the classifieds and told me the impulse mag is always the left one, not the 4370 on the right side. I'm obviously new at this. I don't know these things. I'm hoping someone can give me more information. What do I have here? What is this thing? Any part number or model number?

My main purpose is to try and get some idea of what it's worth, so I can offer it at a fair price to a potential buyer. But I'm also wondering if this is useful for our RV's, or better for some other aircraft. ??? Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. Here are some pictures:

P1040249.JPG

P1040252.JPG

P1040097%20(Small).jpg

P1040250.JPG

P1040251.JPG

Thanks again, for any comments! :)

I'm not an expert but it appears you have a standard 4730 with some kind of an adapter. The gear is usually installed directly onto the shaft.

On what was it installed?

That's not an impulse coupled magneto. Depending on the hours on it,,,it is pretty much core value only. Maybe $100,,,,$150 at most. You will get the most out of it on eBay.

adapters

They were installed on engines with vibration issues mostly caused by different propellers. They are very expensive new but I have not sold any used so I don't think it would carry much extra value. You may check to see if that was why they installed that adapter assy!

Jesse
970-874-7575

Pillow blocks

That adapter takes the little pillow blocks for pulses of the engine and prop
combination, as has been said. My 69 Cherokee 180 has them. I'm not sure it cured the mag failure problems, five mags failed in 2460hrs(Slicks). Just for grins figured the cost of mag operation, cost, rebuild, failure and it's $2 hour...tough to figure.

Mags

1000 hours on an 0 360 out of a Cherokee 180 with same Sensenich prop as Cherokee, Bendix mags one failure at about 800 hours due to an obsolete gear installed by Bendix in remanufactured mag, no other issues. 3300-3500 r/m much of the time. never overhauled the mags, only checked the impulse coupling every 100 hours.

Thank you all, for the comments so far. I really appreciate it. Anything further that one of you might add, please do!

I'm not an expert but it appears you have a standard 4730 with some kind of an adapter. The gear is usually installed directly onto the shaft.

On what was it installed?

Ray, it came off of my Lycoming O-360 that I bought from a local guy. I'm putting pMags on the engine, so that's the reason for all of this.

Magnetos

Thank you all, for the comments so far. I really appreciate it. Anything further that one of you might add, please do!

Ray, it came off of my Lycoming O-360 that I bought from a local guy. I'm putting pMags on the engine, so that's the reason for all of this.

The man to talk to about magnetos in your part of the country is Bill Davidge, out of Scappoose. He can be reached at 503-793-0332

Bruce,
The Lycoming part # is LW-15416 which is no longer available. It has been replaced by AY-68N23130. Yingling list it for $6340.73. !!! If you find a buyer I'll sell mine for half that and buy two P-Mags

Tom

Once again, guys, I just want to say THANK YOU! The response has been overwhelming and I never cease to be amazed at the collective knowledge of the group here. I especially appreciate the service bulletins that a couple of you posted. They tell me everything I need to know. But I also appreciate the phone number for the local guy in my area. Thank you, Jaknjoan!

Back