What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glareshield Covering

RViator60

Well Known Member
Has any RV-14 builder installed a cover to fit over the Glareshield? I was thinking about my Piper with the imitation leather and eyebrow. I've come across a few companies making them for certified planes but not for experimentals. I have a few inquiries out to RV-14 interior suppliers, but wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Glare shield covering

I purchased a piece of naugahide from an upholstery shop and used contact cement to glue it down before attaching the canopy. Then a piece of edge roll pushed over the edge to give a nice finished look. Don't forget to add the black stripe to lower edge of the canopy that would mask the front edge of glare shield by the front. I dyed the fiberglass resin black.

140507 N507 PW flying
2020 donation made

Has any RV-14 builder installed a cover to fit over the Glareshield? I was thinking about my Piper with the imitation leather and eyebrow. I've come across a few companies making them for certified planes but not for experimentals. I have a few inquiries out to RV-14 interior suppliers, but wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Check with Oregone Aero and South Florida Sports.

or for 'experimental' class glareshields.....

...a $10 BBQ mat from Home Depot!
smooth Naugahyde side up, nice, but possibly slight reflection in the windshield.
...Fuzzy side up; the perfect surface, non-glare, and anything can be stuck to it with velcro 'hooks'!
;-)
note: you really don't need to glue the whole thing down, that's heck to remove if you don't like it, or need to cut a hole for gadget #7 on the dash. Just use something like two-sided carpet tape at convenient points around the perimeter.

Last edited:
Glareshield cover

Planning on buying a yard or two of hook and loop fabric. The soft felt side. That way, I can attach stuff to it using the hook stuff.

Planning on buying a yard or two of hook and loop fabric. The soft felt side. That way, I can attach stuff to it using the hook stuff.

Exactly what I did and it looks and works great. Also painted my Dynon 2020 antenna flat black.

Glareshield

Indoor/outdoor carpet and spray adhesive.
GPS antennae...flat black...but it still wasn't enough. Resorted to adding a piece of black felt to cover the GPS.

Get a set of ear seal covers to fit over the gps antena. The one’s for a David Clark work grate.

RD

I used a chunk of interior leather (pleather?) cut to fit, with edging and two computer fan covers holding down the center. No movement and no glare.

The edge trim and fan covers are available on Amazon: trim-lock edge trim. 3/16 works better than 1/8. If you live in the area, I have plenty of both and am not sure what to do with them.

Get a set of ear seal covers to fit over the gps antena. The one’s for a David Clark work grate.

RD

I sanded both of my GPS antennae with 400 grit sand paper. It makes for a nice flat finish that reflects no light.

Larry

Dennis, that's a great suggestion. I ordered a length of 3/32" Trim-Lok, some 0.05" PU faux leather, and a couple of fan covers from Amazon. I imagine I'll need to glue the edge of the faux leather to the Glareshield to slide it into the Trim-Lok. I'm hoping the thicker fabric will lay down without any face along canopy edge. If I lived closer, I would definitely have dropped by to see your installation. Thanks.

Fan Grills

I just made my own out of .030” aluminum to fit the computer fan mount screw pattern. Painted flat black and they look like they belong there.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Attachments

• 42B9A010-7BFA-4DEC-BABB-F4796165A084.jpg
    42B9A010-7BFA-4DEC-BABB-F4796165A084.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 190
Back