What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Charger/power supply

Fisherpd

I would like to know what charger/power supply folks are using. I'm looking for a charger that also can function as a power supply to run the avionics for testing/setup.

Earth-X advertises that the BMS in the battery means that you don't have to use a fancy charger, but the one they recommend is one of the more expensive chargers and it only supplys 5 amps for the avionics.
I would think that any 10-15 amp charger that is compatable with FiFePO batteries would do.

What are folks doing that has worked?

This will run your panel and keep your battery(s) charge while you are doing it.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mfj-4230mv

This is not a “connect and let the plane sit for a few weeks” appliance like so called battery minders/tenders/trickle chargers. I don’t ever use these as I’ve seen many good batteries die an early death by builders leaving them on day after day (I’m sure there are some chargers better than others, but I’ve never had a need for any of them). This is a real power supply so no worry about AC ripple getting into your avionics from a battery charger connected to the battery.

I have a jumper tucked under the panel that connects the power supply via a breaker to the plane. I use this for software updates and such.

Carl

The dxengineering charger is Power full. It has the capacity to charge the battery in no time.
Be sure to set the voltage limit to something below 14.0 V.
More than 15 V will kill the battery.
The lithium batteries are sensitive to over voltage and over charging.
It is IMPORTANT that the charger automatically turns off when the battery is fully charged 14.0 V (based on volts).

https://earthxbatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/ETX900-Product-Spec-2.pdf
https://earthxbatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/ETX_Manual_111017_AA1.pdf

Good luck

To protect the battery I have bit the bullet and purchased both the battery charger that EarthX recommended as well as a 15 Amp power supply. The power supply is only used when doing avionic work, never to charge the battery. This is not the lowest cost route, but I believe the correct one.

This one is what I use when performing avionics upgrades and conditions when I need to run the avionics for an extended period. I’ve got dual Dynon HDXs plus autopilot knob panels and it has no trouble powering them and keeping the battery charged. This package also includes a pigtail connector that permanently attaches to the battery and is easily accessible through the oil tank access door.

OptiMate TM-291 Lithium 4s 5A 10-step 12.8V 5A Sealed Battery Saving Charger & Maintainer https://a.co/d/jkjQW2D

To protect the battery I have bit the bullet and purchased both the battery charger that EarthX recommended as well as a 15 Amp power supply. The power supply is only used when doing avionic work, never to charge the battery. This is not the lowest cost route, but I believe the correct one.

What's the one EarthX recommended?

I’ve used this one

CTEK 56-926 LITHIUM US | Fully Automatic Lithium Ion Phosphate LiFePO4 Battery Charger | 5.0Ah - 60Ah

From Amazon. I’ve never needed anything else and have left the HDX on for quite some time messing with settings and stuff. Since the 12 avionics comes as a plug n play not sure why you would need a power supply.

Thanks for the input

The Optimate line are the ones sold by Earth - X. The biggest one is $181, which seemed a little high, but it included the power supply function. I hadn't thought it through, but I really don't need to power the aircraft without a battery in place.
I will just leave the battery in place with a charger. If I do pull more than the charger will supply, the battery will make up the difference for a few hours anyhow, and will re-charge it when I turn the aircraft off. All I really need is a automatic transition to maintenance mode appropriate for the battery chemistry.
Electrical noise from the charger should not be a problem as the low impedance of the battery makes it a excellent filter.

Thanks again for the input.

I would like to know what charger/power supply folks are using. I'm looking for a charger that also can function as a power supply to run the avionics for testing/setup.

Earth-X advertises that the BMS in the battery means that you don't have to use a fancy charger, but the one they recommend is one of the more expensive chargers and it only supplys 5 amps for the avionics.
I would think that any 10-15 amp charger that is compatable with FiFePO batteries would do.

What are folks doing that has worked?

The ***9.5A*** Optimate that they (EarthX) offer should do the job.

I have used one for quite some time with no issues. Multiple EFIS displays plus a navigator.

Back