What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door fit

paul330

Well Known Member
I have kept up with all the threads concerning the fit of the doors, which seems to be a bit of a #$%&......

I have to admit to still being a bit confused. Page 45-04 Fig 1 shows the door frame being trimmed parallel to the door so that it fits against the inside of the door. This makes a U-shaped channel which (presumably) the door seal fits in. So far, so good. But 43-3 Fig 1 seems to show the cut at the bottom of the frame being made parallel to the door sill, thus removing the channel leaving a 1" flat flange. Is that correct? Is the idea to remove pressure on the seal at the bottom to help with closing the door?

We did the McMaster door seal so thats a little different. I wanted to try to be helpful anyways so here are some of the figures referenced:

45-04:
Door1.PNG

43-03:
Door2.PNG

Others will chime in but I'll give it a shot - I think the idea is that the U-channel along the sides and top of the cabin edges help to keep moister out, where as on the bottom flange it isnt quite as important due to the seal pushing up against it and the tenancy for the water to be flowing downwards.

Thanks for posting the relevant diagrams - makes it easier to see what I am on about.

So it IS correct to have the U-Channel on 3 sides and the flat flange on the bottom? - I am using the standard seal. I hope so or I have some fibreglass rebuilding to do :rolleyes:

The "U" channel is a rain gutter ------ at least that is my understanding of it.

The seal makes contact at the outer edge of the frame, which is the side of the "U" channel, not the bottom of it.

Back