What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2nd Annual VAF ski trip

morganjp

Well Known Member
Attn Colorado RV drivers:

2nd annual RV driver ski trip to Beaver Creek is coming soon.
Jan 17 - 24

Still a couple of bedrooms left at $70 per night if any locals want to come ski for a day or two or the whole week. Or come join us for a day.

Call John Morgan @ 770-823-1713 if interested.

I'm interested.

John,

Per my call, I'll check with the wife to see if we can join you guys, at least for a few days of skiing and lying..:)

Would be interested....but...

I would also like to bring our own equipment.....

So are there folks who have done mods to carry skis? I think the gear and "essential" clothing is not a W&B issue, if you have a reasonable net wt, but packing skis would be a space challenge to say the least.

If there are solid mods to pocket 2 pair of skis in a tube through the bulk head AND be safe with the potential of falling into the elevator controls...I am all ears. (Note mod of existing plane and minimal permanent weight add).

I did not search archives as I am relatively new...so if moderators want to kick this to a new thread, or this is something "well know and developed" feel free to either point me to the existing knowledge base, or start a new thread.

A hot topic for spouse and I who love to ski and fly and children at a stage to allow a weekend get away so that we can revert to newly weds again;)

Wish I could

I will be there again in spirit. We are gearing up for 3 weeks in Roswell, NM. If anyone is going to be out that way, stop for a day and Ill give you a guided tour of the T-6B!

There is a 3 year rotation, so I should be cleared to join for the next two years!

Ski Safe and post pics!

Darin

To clarify a bit, we are not flying our RVs to go skiing. We are flying commercial to Denver and taking a Suburban etc to the mountains. The trip is about skiing and talkin airplanes not flying them. I have no intention of getting anywhere near the Rockies in Jan in my RV6A. Wrong mission!!!

John Morgan

PS. As of now we have 4 men and 4 women ( 2 don't ski) for the week plus the possibility of a local family of 4 for the first 2 nights only.

Wish I could make time/money for it. I don't ski or snowboard enough anymore. The pic on the Front page was taken at Whitefish Mountain where we spent 3 days with the kids and grandkids. GREAT family and friends fun time.

Enjoy your week.

I will be there again in spirit. We are gearing up for 3 weeks in Roswell, NM. If anyone is going to be out that way, stop for a day and Ill give you a guided tour of the T-6B!

There is a 3 year rotation, so I should be cleared to join for the next two years!

Ski Safe and post pics!

I'll be on a work trip to Kirtland/KABQ that weekend if USAF can get their act together. Unfortunately my employer will not let me take my RV, even at my expense.

I can fix USAF's Pavehawk fleet but not fly my simple little airplane to do it...

Where are they skiing? Do you know? Snow looks good! I'm asking because we are headed out that way in a month.

Where are they skiing? Do you know? Snow looks good! I'm asking because we are headed out that way in a month.
Ummmm, Post #1 states:
Attn Colorado RV drivers:

2nd annual RV driver ski trip to Beaver Creek is coming soon.
Jan 17 - 24

Still a couple of bedrooms left at $70 per night if any locals want to come ski for a day or two or the whole week. Or come join us for a day.

Call John Morgan @ 770-823-1713 if interested.

Beaver Creek

...but the snow is good all over Colorado. In fact, it's dumping out my office window, as I write this. The group is planning to visit several resorts while in Colorado, since there's about 30 to choose from!

Ummmm, well I guess my bifocals need upgrading. :D
Glad the snow is coming down. I've been going to Colorado to ski for many years. The last 10 to 15 years have been really dry ones which has had an effect on the snow. Gives us something to look forward to!!

The second annual VAF ski trip is now history. Snow conditions were great with mild weather and a 7 inch dump of powder mid week. Skiers were Dave Syvertson ( RV 10 builder Houston) Gordon Fowlkes ( RV 10 builder Atlanta) with his Wife Laura and son Jon, John Morgan ( RV 6A driver Atlanta) John's daughter Kimberly and friend Jennifer from Boston. Laura's cousin Deb from North Carolina came along to help with the cooking and all important shopping!
Mike Rettig ( RV 10 builder from Denver ) joined us the first night for dinner and pool then skiing at Breckenridge on Sunday. We also skied at Vail twice, Beaver Creek twice and Copper Mountain.
All said it was a great trip with the rookies skiing the blues with confidence by the end of the trip. More pool shooting and less RV talk this year so we need more RV builders next year. Next years date is the third week of January again so make plans to join us. Nick Ahlen says he is coming back next year, so he says.

John Morgan

PS: I declare myself king of the pool table but I will probably get an argument from Mike and Gordon!

Wish I could have been there!

Gordon, didn't know you were a skier.

Wish you could schedule it when my kids are out of school.

With the 10 done, we bought Summit passes this year. Was out Thanksgiving week (snow was very sparse). Will be back for spring break, was planning on another long weekend in the middle, but the doctor said no skiing for 3 months after I took a fall at keystone and lacerated my spleen and kidney. (all well now)

7 hours and 1 fuel stop to Denver in the 10 with a headwind, 5.5 hours back with a 40 knot tail wind. Great service and good rental car rates at Front Range Airport.

Back