What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eastbound to Missouri

YellerDaisy

Well Known Member
I made the trip from New Mexico to Missouri this past Saturday to spend Thanksgiving with my family. It was a great flight of about 800 nm on an excellent day for flying! I just missed some sort of RV get together in Alva, OK - several RV's were launching just as I was landing for fuel. That was a bummer - would have been neat to have had a chance to visit a bit.

The full write-up is here on my blog: http://jdfinley.com/2012/11/19/go-east/

We were there...

Sorry we missed you at Alva. You're right, the food was good. Did you stick around to watch the P-51's? They had them pulled out of the hangar as we were leaving. I heard their radio chatter about photo passes as we entered the pattern back home.

Sorry we missed you at Alva. You're right, the food was good. Did you stick around to watch the P-51's? They had them pulled out of the hangar as we were leaving. I heard their radio chatter about photo passes as we entered the pattern back home.

No, bummer... missed that too! Was a pretty quick stop - fuel and bathroom. I must have tunnel vision or something.

Hi I read your writeup and it was great

Thanks Don. Looks like I may get lucky and have a good weather window for the return flight tomorrow. Even the wind doesn't appear to be too bad - stay low until mid-Oklahoma and then climb. Probably no 200+ GPS speeds but not sub-100 either - gotta be thankful about that. However; given all I've eaten this week, I'll probably going back twenty pounds heavier! :-(

I made the 800 nautical mile return home to New Mexico this past Saturday. The full report is here on my blog.

The visit with family was great! Thanksgiving is always an awesome time getting to visit with a huge chunk of my family!

I spent the first half of the flight as near to the deck as possible to avoid winds and then went to 10,500 for the second half to, of course, avoid wind! Taking off at near 1000′ MSL elevations is an exhilarating experience. My O-320 RV-3 is not overpowered at home (5000′ MSL) but down low? well? it?s still not OVERpowered but it is certainly FUN! :D

The flight east took just over five hours, the return flight took a bit over six hours.

DSCN3628.jpg

DSCN3643.jpg

DSCN3656.jpg

DSCN3676.jpg

DSCN3647.jpg

Daisy ran great the entire trip and I had a blast. For those unsure about the -3 being up to long cross-countries, it is. Do it!

Back