What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Loehle Out of Business? Anyone have extra Wonderfil?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I just tried to call Loehle to try to get some wonder-fil and the number on their website is disconnected. I know people have had less than stellar experience ordering from them so perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised.

Any happen to have some left over Wonderfil they don't need? Happy to buy it off you.

My advice is to not use this stuff.

At first glance and use it seems to be a miracle product.

I can say though that after I primered and painted over the top of this stuff that I would not use it again.

Here is why:

On very small pinholes it most likely will work fine but if it goes into anything larger than a small pinhole, you end up filling up the pinhole with this product.

The problem is this product turns into a dry powder like stuff when it cures. You end up with a void that got filled with a powder. This powder can end up turning loose and you can end up with paint that is not attached to anything but the top layer of the powder.

The directions claim that the primer and paint will combine with the powder and become one epoxy blob and last forever. I call BS on that because the primer or paint does not soak into this powder when sprayed.

Use this stuff with caution I say....

I just tried to call Loehle to try to get some wonder-fil and the number on their website is disconnected. I know people have had less than stellar experience ordering from them so perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised.

Any happen to have some left over Wonderfil they don't need? Happy to buy it off you.

Better to use the epoxy wipe method Dan has found successful.

Loehle Air Craft Paint

I wanted to respond to your note here on the forums so that others may know about this company.

I have read posts published by folks frustrated with this company. They may be justified I don't know but here is my experience. I have been looking to paint my rv-7 for about a year. I want to do it myself and believe i can do it. Mike Loehle has gone overboard sharing his knowledge to help me grow confident in believing I can do this. I have flown down to his shop twice (most recently this past tuesday)and been greeted with supreme kindness and expert knowledge. 30 + years worth. He has provided me with extensive documentation on painting RV's. He's personally shown me around projects in process and completed projects. On my last visit a fellow airport bum came up to me while talking with Mike Loehle and paid him a very nice complement by saying he was good to do business with. This was unsolicited but it was nice to hear others opinion in front of who they were speaking about.

I don't have any affiliation with Loehle except to say I'm going to use his product to paint my airplane. He's got some clear opinions about how to use his wonderfil and that it must be used with his primer to achieve best results. He impresses me with his knowledge and desire to serve general aviation. He's a small business owner who paints airplanes for a living. I've found this to be the product and shop for me. Just thought I'd share a positive story. So often we share not so nice ones.:D

Mike is right!

I had much the same experience with Loehle Aircraft as Mike Stansbury,
although I have not met either Sandy or Mike Loele.
There were a couple of hick ups with paint deliveries but as Mike said they are a small shop and they are very busy. And most of us customers could agree that their communications mode could be improved.
The primer ,wonderfill, paint and clear coat are a pleasure to work with.
It was formulated to allow as much time as you need between coats, unlike PPG and other brands that want you to apply subsequent coats within 24hrs.
Give them a try. Here is what I did with Loele Aeropaint.

IMG_2131.JPG

Wheel pants and fairings are done just waiting for a rainy day to put them on.

Loehl

I was perusing the NTSB crash database the other day (for work, really!) and I saw that Loehl crashed a factory P-40 demo airplane 10/3/2011 in TN, due to possible control issues. That could set them way back, you know what I mean?

Rick 90432

I had a good experience with them as well, they were a little slow, but there product and knowledge was good. I used the wonderfill and primer on my fiberglass with really good results. In fact I flew the plane for sometime with just the primer on the fiberglass and it appeared to be bonded very well. I still have some wonderfill, so feel free to contact me and we can work something out.:)

I didn't know about the crash, I hope nobody was hurt....

Prettt good stuff

Similar product...probably the same product that Loehle relables is made by AzhoNobel who is a LARGE and well known Aircraft finish company. Actually aircraft finishes are a small part of the business. Product is Aerofine Pinhole Filler.

I have used Loehle and would use this in it's place. It does work and works very well if used as directed. Must use a epoxy based primer over it. We used to handle it at our paint stores but changed product lines a couple of years ago.

http://www.anac.com/Brochures/AkzoNobel_Aerofine.pdf

http://www.anac.com/TechnicalDatasheets/AkzoNobel_Aerofine_Pinhole_Filler.pdf

Hope this helps! Web search should find you a supplier.

Bill S
7a

I've always had great service from Loehle. About a month ago I placed an order for Wonderfil directly with Sandy over the phone. She told me the order would go out the next day. A week later a attempted to call to get status as well as email. All I got was voice mail or no answer on the phone and no response to email. Two weeks later I did get an email from Sandy stating they had a shortage of chemicals to manufacture the product. Skip another two weeks and I was able to reach Sandy on the phone. Same status with no idea on what the ETA may be.

I'm planning on canceling the order today. Fortunately, they didn't charge my credit card.

I usually like to support small business and am usually forgiving to minor glitches in the ordering process. However, I am very intolerant when folks don't communicate and think their problems go away by ignoring the situation.

No response to emails, a phone that doesn't always roll to voice mail (ie unanswered), and not managing inventory are just not something that is not going to increase business or customer satisfaction. I'm voting with my feet and taking my business elsewhere.

Bob

Did you cancel the order and what did they say?

I was going to seriously investigate using their products for painting my RV-8 but the continued customer service issues are big warning flags to me. Probably go in a different direction.

Did you cancel the order and what did they say?

I was going to seriously investigate using their products for painting my RV-8 but the continued customer service issues are big warning flags to me. Probably go in a different direction.

No repsonse yet, like I was expecting anything differently

Last edited:
i recall akzo has a pinhole filler that people were supposing was equivalent.

I've only found it in gallon size for $200.

As i was going to use it on my carbon fiber products and not rest of fiberglass, i'll forgo it unless somebody knows of smaller volume pricing.

i recall akzo has a pinhole filler that people were supposing was equivalent.

I've only found it in gallon size for $200.

As i was going to use it on my carbon fiber products and not rest of fiberglass, i'll forgo it unless somebody knows of smaller volume pricing.

I was going to do the same. Fortunately, the pinhole problem doesn't appear to be a big issue with the carbon fiber products from Aerosport Products. I'll probably just use a primer filler to catch the few that I've found.

Back