What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mark Landoll passing

RVbySDI

Well Known Member
It is with great sorrow that I post here the passing of Mark Landoll. Mark had a great passion for aviation. He contributed greatly to the aviation community during his lifetime. Many of you may be aware of Mark through the purchase of his "Landoll Ring". He was an inspirational builder, designer, aviator. Mark was a member of our EAA chapter for several decades. He contributed greatly to my personal aircraft construction and aviation knowledge. He will be forever remembered.

Mark Landoll Obituary:
https://www.oklahoman.com/obituaries/pokl0251235

Heaven waits

Sad to hear, a great acquaintance of RV days of old.
Mark would frequent fly-in's in his RV4 complete with a "Landoll Logo" on his rear canopy and a baggage compartment full of his lightweight starters/alternators and balance rings he sold literally out of his back seat. This was back when most of us had wood props, tail-wheels and before most current suppliers even existed. It truly was a grassroots group then and Mark was a class act, truly missed already. Prayers for his family.

Blessings my friend!
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Sad news

I only knew him through his harmonic balancer. I still have the old ad for them on bright yellow paper! I'm pretty sure they were typed on an old manual typewriter (younger set: Google that:D) with hand-drawn pictures and photographs pasted on before it was copied. :)

He was one of those quiet people who were in a unique corner of our part of the World grinding out things others may not have thought of. He had some innovative ideas and his ingenuity and dedication to the aviation community will be missed. There don't seem to be many coming up in the ranks that could replace him.....but we will keep watching...:) Different times.....

Rest in Peace, fellow aviator. Our lives were richer having had you in them....

Attachments

• img769r.jpg
    img769r.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 300
95 years, one wife for 62 years, 6 airplanes built and many Oshkosh visits. That's a life well lived!!

Mark

Got to talk to Mark late last year in my quest to get a new production run of the balancers he designed. Got his phone number from his daughter....he was very accommodating and asked me to write him a letter outlining what I needed by way of information ....yes a hand written old style ,"put in the mail " letter ...no emailsfor Mark .Been a while but I am of a generation that remembers how to do that ....so off went the letter. Waited about three weeks , called back and he managed to give me the history of his balancers and his wonderful life in aviation. He remembered just enough that I did manage to track down the company he sold the production rights to and me a nine others just took delivery of the brand new balancers.
Was an absolute pleasure to deal with such a fine gentleman who was happy to help out and share some of the history of his experience and life in aviation. Only wish I could have made his aquaintance years ago and in person . We need more like him. Rest in peace Mark.

Mark

Mark was one of the first generation RV guys and I considered him not only a great guy but also a good friend. We met at many flyins in the early -4 days. Seems like-if I remember the -6 hadn’t been designed yet. I had his alternator and harmonic balancer on my -4 and when I upgraded to a constant speed prop I sold the balancer-big mistake. Rest In Peace my friend . Larry Vetterman

I never got to meet him, but he was one of the legends in the experimental world. I still run one of his datsun starter adapters on my RV-4.

rest in peace, blue skies and tailwinds sir!
rv-4 N2RB

Back