What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel!

Panel installed

Here is my panel finally fully installed and powered up for the last time

rv8003.jpg

Notice the ergonomics

Dear RV builders. Heres a picture of my almost finished panel. Thanks for a great forum. :)

IMG_2279.JPG

Regards
Christian Thygesen
Denmark
RV-8 QB - status: paint.

.....of this panel. He placed the radio stack where the knobs are all reachable with his left hand while he flies the airplane.....a very valuable asset in rough air.

Regards,

It passed. No smoke!

Hi guys,

I got my panel put together and temporarily installed today. It all runs well on aircraft power so far and the gps is talking to the EFIS and autopilot. A local friend of mine, Rick Dabney, cut the panel for me with his homemade CNC milling machine. I'm planning a day/night VFR aircraft for now, and I'm using the following for my panel: AF3500; Garmin 496; Digiflight II; Icom A200; Garmin 327; Flightcom 403; and Flight Data Systems Audio Mixer. I went through alot of different versions in planning, but decided on this layout so I could have the gps screen up as high as possible and keep the backups close together for an easy scan. I also wanted to keep it somewhat symmetrical. It is so fun to see the panel installed after spending god knows how many hours planning it and dreaming about it. I can't wait to fly!:D

panelsmoketest1jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats Craig! That's a big step. Great looking panel--it appears to be quite functional with a good eye towards aesthetics.

Guy

Good Looking Panel

Craig,

That came out well. I'll have to come over to see it soon. My panel is still a couple of months away. Still fighting the baffles.

David

Thanks for the help!

Guy, David, and Stein,

Thanks for all the help with the project so far. Guy's panel helped me choose how I wanted to put mine together and he is great about answering questions and even long distance tool loans. David is a great local resource for all my electrical questions. Stein and everyone at Steinair have been outstanding. I'm glad I bought my avionics there and would happily recommend them.

Craig

Simple Panels?

Does anyone build simple panels anymore? By simple, I mean no glass, not so many engine gauges, and no attitude indicator. I have no need for an IFR platform, and plan on building a very simple panel, such as the only gyro instruments being the TC and DG. I'd really like to see some simple panels.

Blue skies,
Torch

Mine will be .... no vacume system.
ASI \ VSI \ ALT \ V-card Compass \ Trutrak ADI Pilot II \ Tach \ Vans Engine guages \ LRI \ Icom A200 \ Trans
M3 GPS \ 2.25" CDI\ AWM gps \FC-10 (Fuel Comp) \ GT-50 (G-Clock-Volt-Temp)

Still working to fill holes in panel and more wiring :D

Last edited:
Look to the past.

Does anyone build simple panels anymore? By simple, I mean no glass, not so many engine gauges, and no attitude indicator. I have no need for an IFR platform, and plan on building a very simple panel, such as the only gyro instruments being the TC and DG. I'd really like to see some simple panels.

Blue skies,
Torch

Here you go: ;)

First Light

Well finally. Flipped the master switch for the first time today. Every thing lit up and the smoke stayed on the inside!

It's better to be lucky than smart.

RV-8
N819WB

firstlight.jpg

Panel

Your panel looks great. Glad there was no external smoke! Good to see you at OSH - many nice people there building -8's. Bill

Thanks Bill. Your panel looks good too.
It was fun to finally meet you and all the other folks that have posted on this website.

Here are a few pictures of how my panel has evolved. I purchased my 8 A in March of this year. The builder had past away so I didn't want to question the widow as to why the panel was built the way it was. The airframe is very well built and the wiring couldn't have been done any better. Here is a picture of how I purchased the plane.
img8.jpg

I added the Icom 200 and the panel gizmo shortly after purchasing the plane. A few months later I added the second GR 4000 and flew it for a few months deciding the placement of radios and the best location for the GR 4000.
4032Q140.jpg

Here is the final panel, Everything I added is redundant with the exception of the auto pilot. I really like the slave GR 4000 I can continue to display the engine gauges while switching the slave over to a lean page. I also upgraded the Dynon 10 to a 10a and added a remote compass (a must). The only problem is I have to find a place to keep my maps.

018.jpg

[QUOTE

Here is the final panel, Everything I added is redundant with the exception of the auto pilot. I really like the slave GR 4000 I can continue to display the engine gauges while switching the slave over to a lean page. I also upgraded the Dynon 10 to a 10a and added a remote compass (a must). The only problem is I have to find a place to keep my maps.

018.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Why the dual EIS? Where did you put the second engine?

Panel musings

No pictures yet, it's all in my head.
I posted this to my blog tonight, it's written so my family can read it who are not aviation types.
I am interested in the group's opinions on my panel thoughts, I am just getting started thinking about this, and since I am still on the empennage I have plenty of time to refine my thoughts.

I spent tonight building a spreadsheet with everything that needs to be in this plane.
This is to get an idea of the cost, which is obviously fairly scary.
But also determining the choices I'll need to make for the electrical components and any items I might need to factor in during the earlier parts of construction, such as wiring runs.
Right now my plan is to have a dual electrical system, and avoid any vacuum driven instruments, and not install a vacuum pump at all.
As for panel layout, I am currently looking at a variation on the 'standard six-pack'.

The standard six pack is how instruments are typically laid out in production aircraft and is how most instrument rated pilots learn to fly on the gauges.
It has six primary flight instruments in 2 rows, going from top left to right, we would have:

* Air speed Indicator ( aka the 'ASI', not powered )
* Artificial horizon - typically vacuum powered.
* Altimeter ( not powered )

Then on the 2nd row, we have from left to right:

* Turn Coordinator - typically electrically driven, this is used to determine 'standard rate' turns for Instrument ( IFR ) flying and also shows 'the ball' which shows if the aircraft is flying straight or 'skidding' or 'slipping'.
* Directional Gyro (DG) - This shows direction, like a compass, but stabilized with a gyroscope since a normal compass has lots of idiosyncracies ( spelling? ) when actually changing direction or under accelleration forces, this is typically vacuum powered.
* And finally on the lower right, the vertical speed indicator which shows the rate of climb or descent ( feet per minute here in the US ), not a powered instrument.

In my preferred layout

* The artificial horizon is replaced by an Electronic Flight Information System (EFIS), which may also include engine monitoring capability, the one i am currently investigating is the Advanced Flight Systems AF-3400.
This instrument will, on it's own, give me everything all of the other instruments listed above give, plus more, and as such will be placed top center of my instrument panel.
* The DG is replaced with a combined HSI/DG.
A HSI, is a Horizontal Situation Indicator, it shows gyro stabilized direction plus the needles for the navigation radios VORs, Localizers and Glideslopes, and GPS courses.

Outside of the standard six pack panel layout, on the right hand side will be the navigation radios & GPS unit, currently looking at a Garmin GNS430W and a Garmin SL-30 NAV/Com, and a Garmin GTX-330 Mode S transponder, with traffic and upgradability to ADS-B.
Also investigating 2-axis auto pilot.

This full setup will give me plenty of redundancy both in terms of flight instruments and navigation aids, while still fitting into the limited space afforded by the Tandem ( as opposed to side-by-side ) seating in the RV-8.

Powerplant wise, I am looking at a 180 HP Lycoming IO-360 (Fuel Injected), with Unison electronic ignition, coupled to an MTV15 2-blade composite hydraulic variable pitch prop.
I prefer 2 blades over 3 for efficiency cross country, Composite in case I have a prop strike as it is less likely to cause major engine damage in that situation, and hydraulic variable pitch for efficiency and aerobatic capability, also planning for inverted oil and fuel.

Clearly, all of this is costing many $, so compromises are to come i am sure, but now i have a good idea of what i am looking for.

Colm
http://oreillyrv8.blogspot.com/

GRT EFIS Tilted For Better Viewing

I recently upgraded my GRT dual EFIS to high resolution screens. I wasn't happy with the loss of detail caused by viewing the screens at an angle, so I fashioned an extension to the panel which tilts the screens to provide a more direct view. Now the colors and detail are easily viewed. Plus the panel now has the look of an F-16!

paneltilt1.jpg

I bent some .040 6061T4 and riveted a 1/2-inch angle to attach to the panel with three #8 screws. I TIG welded the .040 where the bends meet between the two angles to make a smooth finish. Nut plates are used to capture the EFIS faceplate screws. Access behind the panel sure is easy now!

paneltilt2.jpg

While viewing angle is not perfectly perpendicular to the screen, the tilt is sufficient to bring back all the color and detail that was lost when the screens were mounted flat on the panel.

also.. what switch(s) did you place forward of the throttle quadrant but under the panel? I'm assuming your MAGS? I like the idea of placing them out of the clutter to avoid any possibility of accedentally turning the mags off in flight. Looking for a good set of locking toggles????

Ken

also.. what switch(s) did you place forward of the throttle quadrant but under the panel? I'm assuming your MAGS? I like the idea of placing them out of the clutter to avoid any possibility of accedentally turning the mags off in flight. Looking for a good set of locking toggles????

Ken

Actually, that is a sub-panel for the smoke system. I don't have mags, but I do have locking switches on the right side of my panel for each Lightspeed electronic ignition. Got the switches at one of the venders of surplus airplane stuff at Sun-n-Fun.

Here's the beginnings of the panel for Rick Boone's RV-8 , which I'm helping him build. It'll be removed and painted the same dark gray as the rest of the interior as soon as we get all the wire lengths and routing/dressing details finalized. Should be a nice clean and elegant panel when done.

rv8panel.jpg

N747JG PANEL

Here are some pictures for the RV-8 'Show us your panel' section. My panel has dual Grand Rapids EFIS 1s with EIS, a Garmin SL-40 radio, Garmin GTX-330 mode S transponder which displays traffic on the EFIS, Bendix King GPS, PS Engineering PM1000II intercom, Xm weather, 2 axis Trutrak autopilot, AOA, a custom built warning light panel, custom flap switch with position sequencer, and modified side consoles and throttle quadrant.

Jim Gray
Evergreen, CO

j9uaud.jpg

2qn8vq0.jpg

311xtop.jpg

2ihun1x.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Jim, the final product really turned out nice - great job! Your attention to detail is obvious (the map slot for the back seater, the rollover bar padding, the custom throttle quadrant install on those nice extended armrests, etc..). Don't you wish your work airplane were outfitted that well?!?! :)

Cheers,
Stein

Jim,
That is the nicest RV I have ever seen, I think the layout is perfect.
Great job on the details.

We gotta talk

Jim?.. We gotta talk! I didn?t know another -8 builder lived so close! I?m also curious about what else we have in common after seeing your tail number. GREAT looking panel. You just re-motivated me.

Bob Markert
N747BM reserved
RV-8 SLOOOOOOOW build; sealing tanks
Littleton, CO
303 882-7410

centered panel or not?

looking for opinions...sorry no pics yet

Do I place a 10" Wide EFIS panel but offset to the right about 5" (when in split screen mode the PFD will actually be centered) to allow enough room for the radio stack on the left, or

Do I use a 7" EFIS that is centered ( in split screen mode the PFD is actually about 1-2" off center left) with radio stack to the left again...

Thoughts?

CoPilot Instrument Panel

2jcyavo.jpg

This is my CoPilot Instrument panel for a Dynon Skyview 7" screen.

Brazilian Mahogany veneer. Will include some bracing from the bottom of the panel to the forward side seat back support bars. Clearance at the top is 3.5" from the panel to the Pilot seat and almost 6" at the bottom. The Skyview panel is only a little over 2" deep..plenty of room.

I'll cut the pilot harness slots later on.

The edge of the hood will include some plastic channel to fill the slight gap and provide a thicker more rounded edge.

Pilot Instrument Sub-Panel

2qiab7a.jpg

Same Brazilian Mahogany as the copilot panel.

on the left is the air vent, master, left and right mags, and the ELT control panel. On the right is the pitch trim indicator. Nothing else will go on this panel.

The main panel with have on the left: GMA340, GNC300XL, GTX330.
Center: Skyview 7" display, under the display is the VP-50 switch panel.
Right: Dynon D10A as my back-up EFIS. No other switches. I'll post a pick of the whole thing after I receive the Skyview from dynon as I can't install the mahogany until I have a the D10A flush mount plate.

Hey,

I am on my way to Sydney, Melbourne and points west if time permits. I am building an RV 8 and would love to hook up with some one down under who is doing the same or a Vans design.
If any one interested in meeting us-wife - please send info.
Thanks,
Ed Clegg
[email protected]
Love your side panels. Did you make those, or purchase them? And what is an AOA Pro?

Back