What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building to learn

Jcy482

I don’t have a license yet and would say I’m in the category of people slightly more interested in building than just flying. Is it at all practical to build and the learn to fly in my plane? I was learning in a sport cruiser but someone crashed it so that came to an end. Is it possible to get insurance in a situation like I’m proposing? CFI isn’t a concern for me. I’ve got one.

I’d say it’s possible, but you have to think about the phase 1 flight period. You obviously won’t be able to fly this off yourself. That person will need to get insurance in your plane, and it will likely take some time to get all the bugs shaken out. Then, as you identified, your insurance will certainly not be cheap. I’d suggest you check around with insurers to get a handle on that before going too much farther. Couldn’t even guess what that rate would be.

I took lessons in my own RV-12 that I bought, second hand. It is doable, but I found being new to aircraft ownership, maintaining it, and learning to fly in it to be quite a full plate.

I would suggest you get your flight certificate first, be it Private Pilot or Sport Pilot, and have that under your belt with some hours logged, before you start building your own RV-12, unless you are exceptionally smart and gifted in all things aviation and mechanical, from child hood, on.

I built first, took lessons but never completed because of life events. I finished my plane, got it certified, and then 2 friends did the phase 1 for me. Without someone who will do that, it would be tricky once you were finished building. If you have your license when done, then you can at least ride with a qualified pilot.

Remember, just because you get your ticket does not mean you are qualified to do test flights.

Remember, just because you get your ticket does not mean you are qualified to do test flights.

I certainly understand this statement, but I'd like to flip it around: What does make someone qualified to do the required testing? Honest question, as I've read many warnings about testing but nothing on what makes someone qualified.

Phase 1 testing

I’ve done the phase 1 testing for many aircraft. The most perfect looking planes still have issues to iron out during phase 1. I cannot fathom a low time limited experienced pilot handling some of the issues I’ve encountered.

With the introduction of modern EFIS systems along with the various settings and warnings, until they are properly configured and adjusted each flight is truly test flying.

Autopilots can be dangerous at first. The first use of a high end autopilot once gave me a near concussion from hitting the ceiling of the cabin.

Many builders overly complicate their planes which adds levels of complexity. The light weight according to plans tend to fly best

Back