What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7. On the ground at French Valley. F70. Electrical Gremlins

mr.sun

Well Known Member
Safely landed today, Saturday, no flaps. 0 volts on SkyView. Sent wife into town for New Odessy battery. Anyone close by with tools and a good electrical knowledge?
Over at Jet Center in one of their last hangars. Trying to get home to wa.
Greg 360-265-5621

I am in NJ, so not much I can do, but I will help as best I can with troubleshooting.

Why new battery - is the old one dead? If so, it points to al alternator, voltage regulator, or field wire issue. Just make sure it is the battery, and not a issue like a master switch or master relay.
What alternator do you have, and is it internally or externally regulated?

RV7 on the ground with electrical gremlins in French Valley, Ca

Changed out the battery because of shut down issues with the 2 yr old EarthX. Figured I would take that out of the equation even though I got no EarthX fault. Field breaker pops even with plug disconnected at alternator. Found and bypassed some burnt wires. Found chafing at metal mixture cable under panel. Still looking for that field wire short.

Back to the airport now after a Motel 6 stay..... Glad I carry a toolbox.

Good News

Looks like Greg in on the way back to WA after swapping out the Alternator with a Plane Power to get him home. Stay tuned.

-Marc

RV7 on ground at French Valley. - Gremlins identified

After a number of wire repairs and Marc showing up with a spare alternator, we made the flight back to the Seattle area today just fine. Didn't launch until after lunch and landed about dusk. Filed IFR, found the typical PNW IMC and had only a small amount of icing. I will replace all the temp repairs and splices soon, but a huge help and thank you from the VAF crowd. Thanks Doug and thanks Marc.

You're welcome Greg. FYI, what Greg did was replace his B&C alternator with my old 70 amp PP alternator. Since the PP has a built in regulator, Greg bypassed his regulator. The pulley was larger on the PP but we were able to get it installed and the belt on (barely). Something to think about if you're AOG someware with an alternator/regulator problem.

-Marc

You lost me at "IFR", "IMC", "icing", with "temp repairs and splices" that need further remediation due to "burnt wires"...

After a number of wire repairs and Marc showing up with a spare alternator, we made the flight back to the Seattle area today just fine. Didn't launch until after lunch and landed about dusk. Filed IFR, found the typical PNW IMC and had only a small amount of icing. I will replace all the temp repairs and splices soon, but a huge help and thank you from the VAF crowd. Thanks Doug and thanks Marc.

You lost me at "IFR", "IMC", "icing", with "temp repairs and splices" that need further remediation due to "burnt wires"...

Me too! You got some tolerance for risk there....

RV7. On the ground at French Valley. F70. Electrical Gremlin

I was real happy to find the source of the gremlins, they have been lurking for a while. I found that a wire had abraded on the top of one of the steel cables in the lower section of the panel, Mixture, I think. just from over 1000 hrs of movement. I've replaced some components I didn't have to, I suppose, and will be replacing more wires to get rid of splices. After startup, full load run, shut down & inspection, two more startups & full loads, I was happy with my efforts.
The first part of the flight home was VFR with flight following. 2nd part was "easy" IFR and all worked flawlessly. I did, however, minimize loads to what was necessary and the volt & ammeter on the Skyview was rock steady.

Lesson When seeing fluxuating voltages up and down with constant loads, start inspecting things carefully. Also, when looking for gremlins under the panel, have a headrest and plenty of light sources. Preferably a wife/co-pilot to hand you stuff and be prepared to cut off a lot of zip-ties just so things can be seen better. Also be watching for long term abrasion issues.

I hope Seattle weather is lousy for a while. I'll be in the hangar working.....

Greg,

Can you elaborate on how you think the electrical system was compromised by a mixture cable? Was the mixture cable abraided by structure or by a wire?

Bevan.

Back