What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

Wiring

Rob and Stein,

Everyone loves to see cool wiring. Can you guys both post pictures of the BACK of the same panels. I love to see the organization back there.

Actually over $2,000 less than a new Lycoming and Hartzell from Van's.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

Totally insane in my opinion. This is an experimental homebuilt not an airbus

With that being said, im trying to build a budget concious airplane. I know many many folks on here money is no object so for those guys, you sure cant beat the cool factor of that panel. :D For me persoanlly however, that is totally insane and so over kill for an RV its laughable. At nearly what 35k?

Light fast fun and simple, that is the name of the RV game for me. i gues unless your building a 10.
Its mostly a money thing for me. I cant even begin to comprehend spending that on a panel. None the less, still very very cool, neat and shiny for people with bottomless pockets

I have flown the RV-10 for over 800 hours with the console mounted plugs and If I were to do it again I would move them back to the panel.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10 1000+ Hours

Rob - I'd appreciate learning from your experience on the console vs panel mounted plugs, if you don't mind. We're building a Glasair Sportsman and haven't yet committed to a headset jack location. Given the Sportsman and RV10 both have doors, the exit from which could easily be fouled by headset cords (a concern for me), what advantages do you perceive the panel mount location to have over the console?

At the moment I'm considering installing our jacks on a closeout panel virtually behind the pilot and passenger's heads (about a foot behind their heads when seated). I'm thinking this will keep the cords out of the way and yet keep the jacks accessible should one need to swap headsets.

Again, I'm happy to learn from the experience of others, so please fire away!

This is an easy one....

I just happen to have one of those in my hangar somewhere.

16045407251_34efa132b7_b.jpg

We are currently installing a new Advanced Quick Panel in the Sportsman, how is that for experience.

The stock TWTT location works great.

Front Seats
16045408041_2edd2fb732_b.jpg

Rear Seats
15425080064_c04d50bb6f_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

This is an easy one....

I just happen to have one of those in my hangar somewhere.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

:) Sorta figured you might have one hanging around, Rob! :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing the photos. I've got to do some more "fit checking" as I'm thinking of mounting the headset jacks a little more outboard so they won't be in the way every time I reach for something in a seatback pocket.

BTW, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Advanced Panel in the Sportsman. From the photos I've seen, it will include an Avidyne GPS navigator. I'm curious to hear of any experience with this device, or even the new King KSN770. Having played with the IFD-540 I'm impressed by its user interface. That sneak-peak photo of the Advanced Panel sure looked slick. Makes me want to toss out my hand-wired panel and start all over again!

Totally insane in my opinion. This is an experimental homebuilt not an airbus

With that being said, im trying to build a budget concious airplane. I know many many folks on here money is no object so for those guys, you sure cant beat the cool factor of that panel. :D For me persoanlly however, that is totally insane and so over kill for an RV its laughable. At nearly what 35k?

Light fast fun and simple, that is the name of the RV game for me. i gues unless your building a 10.
Its mostly a money thing for me. I cant even begin to comprehend spending that on a panel. None the less, still very very cool, neat and shiny for people with bottomless pockets

I agree with many of your thoughts. When I started my first 7, I was advised the project was divided into 3rds. Airframe, Engine/Prop and Avionics. Pretty accurate barometer. This panel appears to fall into the 1/3 concept.

What I find interesting is the trend to go "bigger." I will be willing to wager that 90% plus of those desiring such a panel have not flown behind much glass. I always recommend that before you hit the "lock" button on that panel selection, get out and fly as many glass panel planes as possible. Evaluate the size differences. I did this with my new 7. I had a chance to fly off many hours in my neighbors 7 with 10" AFS. I didn't really like it. I felt like was sitting in the 3rd row at the theater:) What worked for me was the 8.5" screens. Perfect for my 59 year old eyes in both visual acuity, symmetry and CRM (Cockpit Resource Management).

The helicopters I fly at work have the Garmin 500 and are perfect for our mission. Much larger and they would be distraction, especially at night with NVG's.

I would think that Rob may have an economy panel in the works. I have no knowledge of this but would make smart business sense. The thought here is that many are not comfortable with the extensive wiring needed to do a panel. For many the additional cost eliminates some of the BS factor and is completely worth the cost. I would definitely go this route if building again. I'd do some OT to cover the costs to save time and headaches in the wiring!!

Here's a photo of my panel that demonstrate the size, symmetry and functionality. The panel is a custom composite panel leather wrapped wit the same leather that will be used for the interior and seats. Center stack is a Garmin 750 and SL 40. The transponder and audio panel are remote mounted. Extensive redesign of the panel and sub panel were necessary (slider) to make it work. The results are an extremely solid structure that is more solid than stock. Because this is a slider, with limited access after completion, everything was designed with access and serviceability in mind. Service loops were incorporated into the EFIS harnesses. Removal of the EFIS provides access to everything!!!

tapkis.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Here is a picture of an Advanced Quick Panel for an RV-7 getting ready to ship.

15852589977_eb9d9f6041_b.jpg

Configured, tested and ready to install with the following equipment:
Two AF-5600T Touch Screens, D6 EFIS, Autopilot, AF-Com, GTN-650, Remote Mode S ES Transponder, Multi screen ADS-B Weather-Traffic, 406 ELT,
Lighting controller with Wig-Wag, Flap Positioning, Auto Trim, Advanced control module, Remote USB data jacks for easy database and logbook updates.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

Where's the audio panel Rob?

AFS IFR Panel - PAC15 Audio Panel

Where's the audio panel Rob?

The Advanced RV-7 IFR panel uses the PS-Engineering PAC-15 remote audio panel. I have had this installed in my RV-10 for over a year and it works great.

14508457135_5444054b5e_z.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

Where's the Thumbs Up or Like Button!

Thanks Rob, really appreciate being behind your displays.

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc

My instrument panel

126d1ll.jpghttp:

Planing to add a King KSN770 GPS/NAV/COM unit towards the end on January after the FAA inspection

Last edited:
What's the red button in the upper left?
Good catch Derek! The red button momentarily disrupts power to PMags (via a VPX-Pro switch) to test internal PMag alternators during run-up. I debated long on including this as the switch and wiring pose another potential point of failure. In the end, I felt testing PMag aux power before every flight outweighed the risk of the additional complexity of the switch. The PMags will continue to run without external power so the test wiring/switch poses less risk than many other electrical components. Testing PMag aux power could be done by disrupting the circuits though the VPX-Pro/AFS interface but this would be a hassle to do every run-up and I was afraid this test would end up being skipped.

Last edited:
Good catch Derek! The red button momentarily disrupts power to PMags .....

Ahhh, good idea. I have the same switch, in the same spot, wired as a AP Disc. / CWS. Turned out to be bad location for that use:(. Should have put it near the throttle, or on the stick.

Wow Mark---thats fabulous!
How about telling everyone on here who the vendors are--so we can send kudos to them as well.
Tom

Mark, that panel is beautiful. Congrats.

Does that arrangement give you full forward motion for the stick?

could it be TOO nice???

....I'm just saying, it's a thing of beauty!
but.....Kind of like dating a supermodel, I just don't think I could sit in there.
Maybe if I wore a captains suit complete with bars and tie.
.....and took off my shoes! :)....and worked out a lot.

(actually, the cost of the Carbon panel ain't bad, when you consider the ease of using the inserts, & removing displays etc.)

Best panel I've seen so far and I've been stalking this site for a while.

Like the symmetry of the layout with dark background, very easy on the eyes.

It flows well with the rest of the cockpit, which is also well appointed, like an expensive car. I really like the symmetric wood burled grips.

Overall, well done!

Hope to build some day. May I shamelessly copy everything?

Good catch Derek! The red button momentarily disrupts power to PMags (via a VPX-Pro switch) to test internal PMag alternators during run-up. I debated long on including this as the switch and wiring pose another potential point of failure. In the end, I felt testing PMag aux power before every flight outweighed the risk of the additional complexity of the switch. ...

Does that drop power to both P-mags at the same time?

Looks like a new benchmark for panels...

:eek: That panel along with the interior looks amazing! Very clean and effective. Just as good (probably better) than most production panels I have seen. Kudos on setting a new benchmark (IMO). :eek:

good looking panel

and I like the engine control knob spacing. you can get you hand on all three for takeoff. I cut my sticks shorter.

Last edited:
"Wow Mark---thats fabulous! How about telling everyone on here who the vendors are--so we can send kudos to them as well. - Tom"
-----------------

Tom - Great idea, the vendors really deserve the kudo's here. We are fortunate to have such a great selection of products and support for our obsession!

Aerosport Products - Great quality and service!
Carbon Fiber Panel
Custom Labeled Switches

Classic Aero Designs - Excellent quality and great service!
Leather interior and carpets

Advance Flight Systems - Great products and excellent support!
AFS 5600T (touch screen) EFISs
AOA, Dual AHARs, ARINC, Engine Sensors

TrueTrak Flight Systems (Solid product, Excellent support)
AFS Pilot - 2 axis autopilot

TCW (Like the product - Good support!)
IBBS-12v-4ah Backup Battery for EFIS

NAVWORX - unit DOA on installation (sat on shelf for a year) but Navworx promptly repaired at no charge (product appears well made and is light weight)
ADS600-B ADS-B Transceiver

Sandia Aerospace - No experience on service or support (product appears well made and is a feather weight)
STX165-R Remote Transponder

Garmin - Strong products but the GTN is heavy and ridiculously expensive on maps and data (Garmin, please listen - we are not United Airlines!)
GTN-750 Nav/COM/GPS
GMA240 - Audio Panel

Custom Aircraft Grips (Nice wood, excellent carving but had to re-finish)
Carved Wooden Stick Grips

Vertical Power - Love this product, great documentation and support!
VPX-Pro Electronic circuit breaker system

MGL Avionics - No experience on quality and support (appears well made and is very light weight)
V6 COM (backup radio)

Hopefully that covers it. ALL - thanks so much for your comments... it means a lot coming from this community! - Mark

Last edited:
Does that drop power to both P-mags at the same time?
Bill - yes, that's why the debating. I've considered limiting the test switch to one PMag (EZ reconfiguration with the VPX). However, they will continue to operate on internal power in the unlikely event of a switch failure so there is still redundancy. Torn on this.

Last edited:
Magnificent panel!
I am interested in your fire extinguisher and mounting bracket source. It looks great also.
Thanks,
Dean

Magnificent panel!
I am interested in your fire extinguisher and mounting bracket source. It looks great also.
Thanks,
Dean
Dean - The carbon fiber fire extinguisher mount came from Bone Head Composits. They make skydiving helmets but also have a few RV items. Suspect the owner has an RV. Very high quality item but like most carbon fiber products, not cheap (about $180). It does double duty as an arm rest and as an assist in extracting oneself from the cockpit. It was also lighter than the OEM mount that came with the fire extinguisher! It was clearly designed for an RV6,7,9. It replaces the small hump between the seats (made from z shaped extrusion) and uses existing floor screws to mount. You simply need to fabricate a small plate to cover the remaining gap over the tunnel in front of it. The fire extinguisher itself is a one pound aviation unit from Aircraft Spruce. Hope this helps. - Mark

Last edited:
Finally done. Pardon the empty hole, I had to send the Trio Pro-pilot back for repair. I'm really happy with the layout of the equipment and switches so far.

IMG_20150116_161502997_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150116_161508800.jpg

IMG_20150116_161513345.jpg

IMG_20150116_161659275.jpg

IMG_20150116_161702516.jpg

GRT HXr, 430W, A210, GTX-327, Trio Propilot, GRT Mini-B, PSE 5000EX, 2 fuse boxes (Master buss and E-Buss), backup (alarm) battery wired to the E-buss for avionics brownout protection during startup and emergencies, dual alternators (N-D (Honda) and an SD-8) and an emergency feed from the Oddysey battery to the E-buss, for when it all goes REALLY wrong.

Last edited:
Nice Job Chuck!

Great layout. You'll probably see a few more copies of this down the road. For some of us, we could probably use an annunciator light next to the lower placard.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Very nice, is that the 12.1 HXR?

Thanks! Negative, it's the 10.4, but it's stuffed into a standard height panel, because I didn't want to sacrifice any maneuvering room.

Great layout. You'll probably see a few more copies of this down the road. For some of us, we could probably use an annunciator light next to the lower placard.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Thanks. Maybe I should print another one in yellow or red and put it above the HXr... :)

I just have to ask... Is that cabin heat cable from a vintage Ford?

I think it's from a cherokee 180. I didn't build the plane, but that's what the engine was on, I got rid of all the old cherokee switches and breakers when I did the panel, but figured I'd leave the cabin heat knob for posterity.

Panel by Vic Syracuse (Baseleg Aviation)

Here is my panel that Vic Syracuse just finished for me. Great job Vic! There's another post here that shows the before and after shots.

Final%20Panel%20Photo-XL.jpg

I think I'm done with the panel except for a pesky PWM switch that keeps breaking. All hand cut, painted,
labeled and wired myself. Moving the fuselage to the hanger this week to meet the rest of the parts for final assembly. :)

mxgfSwneINUwKFa70F6r13_MiTyWWXNSdVYhrSJz-Zz7=w702-h468-no

Back