What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Trips into Mexico, and hopefully back...?

Has anyone flown to/in Mexico recently that can share information on the new APIS "system" (spreadsheet)? The current AOPA information seems to say small planes can email an APIS spreadsheet but I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with this in the last couple of months.

If you are referring to the Mexican EAPIS, you don't need to worry about it yet. I have flown down to Baja several times this year, most recently a few weeks ago and they do not know anything about it.

Ok thanks! Will be headed down to Guaymas next week. We flew there for the first time two years ago and were shocked to find how difficult it was to get through all the paperwork once we landed. Despite Guaymas being a port of entry, no one spoke English and none of the forms were in English. We are prepared this time with a translator app on the ipad (has offline capability, which is key). Plus, brushing up on some basic Spanish :)

Spanish 101

A few keywords needed upon arrival:

Cierre de plan de vuelo: Closing your flightplan (no FSS or FlightWatch- this is done at Despacho)

Despacho: Airport flight Dispatch.

Plan de vuelo: Flightplan.

Permiso de Entradas Multiples: Multiple entries permit.

Permiso de Entrada Unica: First entry permit.

El clima: Weather.

Comandancia: Local airport authority department.

Comandante: Chief, or person in charge of Comandancia.

Inspector: Inspector (assistants to El Comandante).

Pasaporte: Passport.

Migracion: Immigration department.

SAGARPA: Department of Animals and Agriculture.

Aduana: Customs.

Combustible: Fuel (note that Mexico uses Liters, not gallons, not pounds).

Torre: Control Tower.

Terrestre: Ground.

Seguro: Insurance.

Aeronave/Avion: Airplane.

Piloto al mando: PIC.

Licencia: License.

Llegada internacional: International Arrival.

Propietario: Owner (of the aircraft).

Sandwich de pollo: Chicken sandwich.

Con Tocino: with bacon.

-No visas required for US citizens-

No one at the airport (not even El Comandante) is allowed to retain your pilot license or medical certificate under any circumstances. They are allowed (and most likely will), however, get photocopies or photoscans of these, or any of your documents. This is very normal.

Upon arrival, you might or might not be greeted by Mexican Army or Navy, or both. One, or both, might or might not record everything on videocamera. This is ok.

Most tower controllers (torrero-double r) speak English. If no one at the Comandancia, or Terminal area speaks English, ask El Comandante to have "el Torrero" translate for you.

All of this should not be intimidating, it is only procedural, and most people are willing to help.

Expect people looking to take a picture next to your beautiful airplane. This is also normal.. Specially for the hard, under-the-sun working army folks.

Enjoy!:)

Thank you Miguel! Those key words will come in handy. Hopefully especially this one: Sandwich de pollo Con Tocino :D

Nah, I never mix chicken and bacon in Mexico.
Con Queso..... just put cheese on everything and have fun.
Tequila comes without color by the way... so it goes with everything.

We made it back from our trip to Guaymas Mexico without much incident. The only exciting thing that happened during the flight, which happened to us last time we went to Mexico as well, was that we had a hard time reaching ATC/FSS while trying to re-enter the US. We climbed up from 9,500 to 11,500 feet and finally reached FSS to relay for us and get us a squawk when we were about 2 miles from the boarder near KPRS. It really surprises me they dont have a radio tower closer to the boarder. The closest one was 40 miles from the boarder so trying to hail someone at a reasonable distance out was no joy.

Our experience at the Guaymas airport was much better this time since we knew what to expect. Plus the agents there spoke a little English this time which helped a lot. I made 3 copies of all paper work - aircraft registration, airworthiness, pilots license, etc and stuck them in a folder. The Customs process in Guaymas seems a little unorganized as you bounce from area to area and paying fees and doing paper work. Overall, it was a good experience.

We paid approximately the following costs:
$130 for a multi entry permit (good for the airplane for 1 calendar year I think?)
$30 for 4 days of parking
$7 for landing fee
$24 per person (not pilot/crew) entry visas
$5 per person exit visa (non pilot/crew)
$4.82/gal fuel
+tip for the nice guys who helped with baggage.

That's fantastic Brian. Glad everything went well. Thanks for sharing.
BTW, Keith and I came by last weekend and stopped by to see if you were there . . . (I should clarify Keith from CZL) , Obviously you had much better plans ;)

I'm just inspired every time I read about you and Brandi taking to the sky for your next adventure. :D You are stating to give Vlad some competition. :p

Guaymas airport is better the most

When we travel to Mexico we like clearing customs in Guaymas. They are more organized than most which makes it a lot quicker. usually less than 20 minutes,

when we clear customs at Hermosillo (about 60 miles north of Guaymas) it takes at least an hour and they bounce you all over the building.

Back