What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Day of Local Fun

Vlad

Well Known Member
A good friend of mine Greg is one of the very few who flies my RV9A from the left seat. I don't have brakes and PTT on the right. This past weekend he was off and asked if I am up for an adventure. Sure absolutely positively affirmative I love randomized plans :D

Temperatures were at freezing level in the morning but these guys didn't care.

I was still scraping soft ice from the wings and fuse worrying about starting my Laik without preheat and primer the balloon formation already left. Raising sun helped with deicing. Engine started on 15th blade.

What a beautiful morning. I fly to Slatington PA 69N to meet Greg.

A giant breakfast was consumed and we left Slatington for Waulkes Barry PA KWBW for cheaper fuel. Gassed up and got out. A tiny RC model airplane was trying to join us with no avail. Greg doesn't like drones.

When in college Greg volunteered with an organization mapping mountain bike trails. Do you see a trail down here?

How about here?

Still nothing?

Last edited:
No it's not here. We are nearing the Penn State.

A marvel build by Army Corps of Engineers.

Beautiful lake forgot the name. I remember there are no houses on it. Uncle Sam's property. Do you see how happy pilot in command is. He surely knows where he goes...

We have a camera mounted on the wing Greg promised to post unedited...

Perfect lunch was had at Burgatory in Pittsburgh while the RV rested with Corporate Air at Allegheny airport.

Then the journey continued. The tallest (and defunct) chimney east of Mississippi I was told. Mike Bullock knows it for sure he will correct if I am wrong.

A notable bridge we weren't low enough to read the sign.

Then we tracked a picturesque river.

We got so fascinated with views we were lost somewhere in WV.

Where these clouds came from? Everything was nice and clear.

Time to turn around and head home the day is winding down. It was a great fun to explore the vicinities. Greg is also a history buff and gave me a great lecture on local landmarks. Day is over Greg logged almost 6 hours PIC and I only .6 :D

Nice looking fall colors you found! A 6 hour day is pretty good. I've been struggling to do 4 hour days, but then I'm chained in a 50 mile circle! :)

My Back Yard

Vlad,
Stop by Lock Haven next time and we can do some sightseeing up the Pa. Grand Canyon. Yes, it was a beautiful day. I recognized Rt. 322 going up '7 Mtns" to State College. ....and the lake is an Army Corp flood control project built in the early 70's while I was in college just a few miles away-it's Raystown Lake. ...and then the Cheat River outside of Morgantown, WV where I lived and kayaked in my early days.
You saw the best of Pa.

Jim Diehl
7A
Lock Haven, Pa.

Vlad,
Stop by Lock Haven next time and we can do some sightseeing up the Pa. Grand Canyon. Yes, it was a beautiful day. I recognized Rt. 322 going up '7 Mtns" to State College. ....and the lake is an Army Corp flood control project built in the early 70's while I was in college just a few miles away-it's Raystown Lake. ...and then the Cheat River outside of Morgantown, WV where I lived and kayaked in my early days.
You saw the best of Pa.

Jim Diehl
7A
Lock Haven, Pa.

Hey Jim how are doing unpainted brother :D

Let's get together some weekend and look over old airmail route. How is Carl?

Nice

Nice pics and looked like a great day!!! But no food pics....i bet you just ate candy bars all day!!!:D

Great write-up Vlad, thanks for again for the opportunity for that adventure.

I was busy flying so I didn't take a whole lot of photos but this one isn't too bad :D

10694457_10102383649978273_5565744452916254345_o.jpg

Vlad, you have endurance... to the max.
Was it the harsh Russian winters that built up your stamina?

NY winters actually Nick ... and tough American realities :D

In this particular case all the hand flying was done by Greg. I even removed the passenger stick to make myself comfortable.

nice day of flying comrade....

i left the beautiful north
2790dc440e5e14d92cf870d56eb51540.jpg

heade south for the winter......
3c9ef938e288085e15a4c4e684851b2a.jpg

thru cotton fields....
4841e75eff566c7a51c0c67a1835b3ad.jpg

and over beaches...........
53d156352af58ed3083ca76308f586d0.jpg

climbed some light houses............
0bde567847a91a79da95f753859431c0.jpg

74fb7a13ff7b96647812ecbe0a29718a.jpg

and seen some sun rises...........
c0e6c6da1254de8ae49cdb3dfa60060f.jpg

will be keeping an eye out for you in florida.....and other rvators.......
f3876fb603ee2fb74333facb2b1015d6.jpg

adios for now.............
cf0d07530c66b26954c6de070c08b302.jpg
:)

i hope your rv flys forever..........

another VIRB video

So, as you can see in the photo from post #9 there is a garmin virb attached to the wing. Here is some of the video from that day:

http://youtu.be/QbOBG5kDqgU

The camera is mounted via the stock VIRB curved mount, drilled through the middle and countersunk for the tank screw, the adhesive tape and protective film is still on the mount for padding, but the mount is not permanently attached to the plane.

In the early morning the camera picked up some glare while flying into the sun, this has never happened to me before and I expect it is from the camera being mounted farther aft than in previous attempts.

Thanks for watching!

Nice

Hey Greg.....really great video!! The VIRB really seems to do a great job and I like the flight data displayed on the video. Thanks for sharing:)

Back