What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Real world performance numbers for Alternative RV-12 Engine Installations

ifixf15

For all of those RV-12 owners who are currently flying behind a Non-factory supported engine installation. Please post your actual performance numbers. Weight (total and/or FWF), Fuel burn, Climb rate, etc. Please reserve the commentary to other threads, just numbers of CURRENTLY FLYING installations.

Tom

RV12 Jab 2200

Empty Wt: 745 lbs Updated EW due to addition of A/P servos, fire extinguisher, and carpet

Jabiru 2200 engine
Wood Prop
Dual Landing Lights and Strobes
Wheel Pants
Painted
Primed Interior
Dual GRT EFIS
GRT EIS 4000
GRT Autopilot
Dual Comms (includes 1 SL-30)
Transponder
406 ELT
Interior - Seat Cushions & footwell carpet only

Performance with T/O wt @ 1315 lbs, (T/O OAT 27C)
ROC 750 fpm
Cruise @ 2500 ft MSL: 75% pwr (2950 rpm) @ 108 kts
Fuel Flow (gph): T/O 6.2, Cruise 3.6 - 4.8

photo1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Just a brief update on the Jab 2200:

The engine now has a 100 hours on it. The only problem that I have had to date was having to replace the left magneto drive shaft gasket due to a minor oil leak. My inflight CHT and EGT's all run well within limits. However, due to the tightly cowled engine, the CHT ground operating limits (302 degrees F) can be easily exceeded. Even at my uncontrolled field with virtually no traffic, I have to boogie to get off the ground without exceeding those temp limits. The engine is very straight forward to work on. I cruise at the midpoint of the cruise rpm range (2950 rpm) with a typical fuel flow of 4.2 gph. The upper and lower cruise fuel flow range is from 3.6 to 4.8 gph. I flight plan for 105KIAS but depending on loading and cruise rpm, it will cruise from 100 to 112KIAS. It is a very smooth running engine.

I am looking forward to taking my first long cross country flight in the -12 in September.

I edited post #2 to reflect changes in the updated EW of the aircraft.

Regards,

Last edited:
Tom, your configuration is about what I'm looking to do. The folks at Van's questioned me when I ordered a duplicate landing light for the left side (but I like lots of light...). The fact you installed two LL's caught my attention. What is your total current loading? Do you find any amperage limitations with the Jabiru alternator?

What altitude are you cruising at 108KIAS at?

Tom, your configuration is about what I'm looking to do. The folks at Van's questioned me when I ordered a duplicate landing light for the left side (but I like lots of light...). The fact you installed two LL's caught my attention. What is your total current loading? Do you find any amperage limitations with the Jabiru alternator?

What altitude are you cruising at 108KIAS at?

The 108kt cruise was at 2500ft. I normally don't cruise above 2950 rpm although max recommended cruise is 3100 rpm and max continuous is 3300 rpm.

Wrt to electrical loads, unfortunately I do not have an amp meter installed but thinking about adding one during the next inspection. With the recent addition of the GRT A/P servos and the fact that I have a dual efis and com configuration, I haven't had any load / voltage issues. The Jab alternator is rated at 20 amps.

This aircraft was built by Jabiru USA. They also build an entire line of Jabiru aircraft and was told that the alternator would have no problem handling the present load configuration on my aircraft. They produce similarly configured aircraft.

Regards,

Last edited:
Jab EFIS Screen Shot

I've recently received a few calls about Jab. Here is a screen shot on the engine parameters during my return flight from Dallas yesterday. Max recommended cruise RPM is 3100.

This was the first long trip that I have taken with the plane. I am very pleased with the engine.

EFIS1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back