What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buy the Cow After Tasting the Milk?

WSBuilder

Well Known Member
Given sufficient funds (realistic, not Warren Buffet/lottery winner/fantasy), how many partly-completed builders would buy a flying RV until their project was done? Do you think you'd finish your project if you did? Would it diminish the satisfaction of the build or the excitement of flying it? Would you buy the same model? Would you get similar or less creature features?

Last edited:
how many partly-completed builders would buy a flying RV until their project was done? Do you think you'd finish your project if you did? Would it diminish the satisfaction of the build or the excitement of flying it? Would you buy the same model? Would you get similar or less creature features?

A buddy and I wanted to. We needed to sell our Alon Aircoupes to go in together to buy an RV and build flying time while building our -9As, but we can't sell the Alons...market is dead.

Frankly at this time it might make a lot more sense to buy instead of build, if your interest is mainly flying. When I started my build used RV-4s were selling for more than I planned on putting into my -9A, but now, even recent -7 and -9 models are selling for no more than materials. Sure, it may not be set up the way you want, but you're flying years sooner.

Given sufficient funds, how many partly-completed builders would buy a flying RV until their project was done?

I can't speak for the population of builders but in my case I'd buy an RV-3 to fly while I'm working on my 9A. It isn't money so much as it is my commitment to staying married that's stopped me.

Do you think you'd finish your project if you did?

Yes. But there's a point worth mentioning here and that's the 3 and the 9 have different missions and I'd like to do both kinds of flying. If I were to buy a 9 while I'm building a 9, well I'm not so sure about how that would affect my ability to finish.

Would it diminish the satisfaction of the build or the excitement of flying it?

I don't think there's much that can diminish the satisfaction of building but it clearly isn't something for everyone. It is hard for me to express how much I've learned about aircraft, especially GA aircraft, as a result of this build. I've owned a Cherokee for more than 10 years and while I did a competent preflight when I bought the plane, when I look at it now, I see and understand sooooo much more.

As for the excitement of flying it, I assume you mean the plane you build. I can't imagine flying another RV will be the same as flying one you build yourself. I can see where you'd be much better prepared for flying the RV you build yourself, if you have many hours in another RV.

Would you buy the same model?

No. I've already answered this one, I think.

Would you get similar or less creature features?

Definitely fewer. If I were to get a 3, it would be a minimalistic day VFR plane. I really have not thought too much about it but I could imagine a panel consisting of a TT Gemini PFD, an SL40, and GTX 327 and the mandatory gauges. If the Gemini EMS met that requirement, that would suit me.

The 9 I'm building will be very well equipped; night IFR legal and have enough redundancy to satisfy me.

that's what I'm doing, highly recommend it, really helps you decide what you truly want in your slow build

the RV-4 is a fantastic value for this reason too

Build it

For me the building was much more fun than the flying.

Sure there were many painful redo's. But really the I enjoyed the time spent in the shop, thinking and planing how to do the next few steps was the best. I did have a pretty nice shop/garage, heated and window unit AC.

I've been think about selling and starting again, seriously building is the best part (for many people).

I did

Since 2003, I have been (mostly not) building an RV-7. It ranks down the priority list after family and work. I have mostly finished the tail and wings. I have a QB fuselage, but I am a long way from a completed airframe, let alone a completed plane.

When my Cherokee 180 was hail damaged, I took the insurance proceeds and purchased a flying RV-6A. I am very happy with my decision. Even though a -6A is undersize for someone 6'4" tall, having a plane that flies 50% faster than a Cherokee on the same or less fuel burn is worth it. Only 12% of my trips in the Cherokee had more than two people in the plane.

Larry Tompkins
544WB -6A

Last edited:
Build and fly

I got my ppl and bought a Cessna 120 , bought a tail kit for an 8 finished the tail and purchased a slow build fuselage . Put over 200 hrs on the Cessna. Sold Cessna and bought a Skybolt at a good price , when my 8 is ready for it I will use the motor from the Skybolt and sell the airframe . It has taken a little longer this way but I now have 350+ hours of tailwheel / acro time /and high performance sign off .I have also figured out what I enjoy , and will build my 8 to fit my "mission profile " .I also met some really good people at the airport , get to fly some different planes , stuff you don't get to do holed up in your garage building for years.

Emotional RollerCoaster

I simply cannot imagine not having the RV-4 project in the garage. I love the building process. It's not that I don't have other projects. I have a row of motorcycles for restoration and the inherited family jet boat needs a new inner hull. I also have my Super Decathlon to fly upside down to entertain me and enjoy the camaraderie at the strip. I could have just as easily bought a flying -4 instead of the SD, but I was "saving" myself for mine. I think I'm just feeling impatient for it while I have available resources: a nice problem to have. I'd have better spousal support for an old Mooney since she "feels like baggage" in the back seat of a tandem and we'd enjoy taking some friends or offspring on trips now and then.
I appreciate hearing others' opinions/rationale to mull over.

Another vote for owning while you build. I spent about a year without a flying plane in the hangar, & my wife says I was really hard to live with during that year. It's not that I would have flown a lot, it's the fact that I couldn't fly.

Having said that, I wouldn't go into debt to do both at the same time. (Personal limits on toys)

Charlie

Plenty of cheap , fun airplanes to fly when building , Luscombes, Cessna 120/140 , Baby Ace etc.. For less than $20k , sell it when you are ready for interior , paint, and avionics. Plenty of building to due before you spend "the big bucks "

Back