What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Job!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Mikey is sporting a stylish new look these days ? a new aluminum spinner, courtesy of Allan at Cummins spinners in Australia. (I?ve always wondered how the Valkyrie would look with a gold anodized spinner?but this one came silver, and since Mikey has silver in his scheme, he gets to try it on?.)

P1010785.JPG

I figured I?d share a preview of an upcoming KP article (which covers both the Fixed Pitch and C/S models) with the group here ? Allan sent us the spinner to try and let him know how it fit and installed. The answer is ? right out of the box!

Here?s what came in the box:
P1010731.JPG

It?s not yet polished (I need to find a good polishing guru around here), but it installed in just a couple of hour?s work. The blade slots were pre-cut and the edges rolled (whew ? does THAT save a lot of time!), and we re-used the existing backplate from the original fiberglass cone. It was pretty simple to match-drill the holes to the existing nut plates.

A new forward bulkhead was included in the kit, and it fit perfectly snug when the rear of the dome was even with the rear of the backplate ? the tolerances of the kit are amazing. Careful measurement gave us the position of the holes in the forward bulkhead, it took about ten minutes to install nutplates, and everything was assembled and ready to run. I stood outside while Louise ran it up, and there was no movement of the nose at all ? the alignment is perfect.

I can?t speak to the price of the unit, as we are testing it for the magazine, but if you want to go with an aluminum spinner instead of glass, this one fits and installs perfectly. And?.no pinholes to fill! :D

Looks nice Paul. I am still waiting on Craig to mark the ones Allan sent me for the Catto props.

Paul,

Fly it to aerocountry T31.

I will polish it for you and you can shave in it.

Boomer

The MT spinner has no pinholes at all...........:D

Exquisite.

Yours does look rather good though :cool:

For a more permanent solution you can have the spinner highly polished, then take it immediately and have it electroless nickel coated. After that there is no more tarnish/spots and it wipes down easily.

I installed one this summer, I love it. I made a new back plate just because I thought it would be better, but probably not. There where 2 very small nicks in the spinner, I thought they would polish out, but they did not, it still looks great. The install was EZ, and I had the spinner professionally polished.

I've got one of Allan's spinners for the Sensenich G/A prop that I'll be polishing up today.

As with Ironflight's, it fit right beautifully straight out of the box, but I did need to trim it slightly to ensure positive clearance from the cowl as my prop spacer is a fraction of an inch shorter than ideal. But that's my fault entirely, not Allan's, and I'd recommend his spinners without hesitation.

AWESOME!!!!

I was hoping there would be one of those for my RV when it comes time for it. It's good to know that patience pays off. It looks amazing!! Can't wait to see it in person someday!

Back