What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Mode S Transponder Software Upgrades at Oshkosh 2016

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello,

We will once again provide free software upgrades for Garmin Mode S transponders used in Experimental aircraft at Oshkosh.

Just bring your GTX 23ES, GTX 330, or GTX 330ES transponder in to us at the Garmin tent at Oshkosh and we will install V8.02 software into your transponder while you wait. It only takes about 2 minutes to accomplish this update.

After being located at the entrance to Hangar D for many years, last year we moved to a new location across from the EAA Welcome Center and the Ford tent. If you look at the Airventure ground map, this is grid K13. From homebuilt camping, just follow Knapp street South to Celebration Way (the main entry street) and turn left

Sorry, but we are not equipped to perform sign-offs for certified aircraft, so please only bring us transponders that are installed in experimental aircraft.

Hope to see you at Oshkosh!

Oshkosh2015.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
GNS-480

Any chance you might be able to do firmware upgrades (ads-b gps position source feature) on a GNS-480?

Any chance you might be able to do firmware upgrades (ads-b gps position source feature) on a GNS-480?

Hello Alfio,

We won't be doing software updates on GNS/GTN units at Oshkosh, but this posting shows the software needed for your GNS 480 to be used as an ADS-B position source, and a link to the service document.

Your Garmin dealer should be able to update your unit. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Steve

When did v8.02 come out? I had my gtx330 converted to a 330es in January.

Guy

Hello Guy,

Service Bulletin 1578 to install GTX V8.02 was released in early Dec. 2015 for all aircraft. We were installing V8.02 for EAB customers last year at Oshkosh since EAB aircraft owners don't have to wait on STCs. Your GTX 330ES was probably upgraded to V8.02 in January.

You should be able to confirm this from the power-up screen.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Are you able to work on units brought from overseas?

If I bring my 330 in my suitcase can I get it converted to ES?

Pete

Are you able to work on units brought from overseas?

If I bring my 330 in my suitcase can I get it converted to ES?

Pete

Hello Pete,

We had to chuckle at the thought of you traveling all the way from England to Oshkosh with your transponder. :)

We don't perform ES upgrades at Oshkosh, but I checked with the service group and learned that Garmin Europe performs these upgrades, so you shouldn't have to send your GTX 330 to the U.S. to have this upgrade installed.

Thanks,
Steve

Back