What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 9/9A project!

That is a huge milestone! You almost got yourself an airplane there mister!

Congrats!!

Thanks, It sure is cool watching it come together at last. Going from a collection of parts to a complete airplane.
I thought that would be the coolest x-mas present in the world to test fly it on Christmas morning.
That wasn't going to work, so I hoped for New Years, alas....

Congratulations !!1

...it is quite the moment, isn't it? "It's A-L-I-V-E !!!!" From a static lump of metal in your garage to a snorting, breathing, lumbering beast ...all in the push of a button. :D

It's no engine start, but...

Finished my rudder trailing edge today. After all the stressing, it was actually cake. I followed Vans' directions verbatim, and after letting it cure for two days while cleco'd to an aluminum angle, it came off nice and straight today. I sprayed both the angle and clecos with Boeshield T-9 spray and they all came out like butter. Also, my inside rudder skins were primed, but that didn't seem to cause an issue at all, I just scuffed them up and cleaned with MEK.

Gently back riveted halfway as instructed on the lowest air pressure setting, then flipped it over and had to turn up the air to finish them off with the flush set. Really happy with the results, the shop heads are almost identical to the factory flush heads, and zero twist or waves. Also, the gap at the edge seemed to close up a bit so it's a nice clean edge now.

Not a huge milestone, but this is two components I've completed now without botching anything major...I'm learning!

2dum2pk.jpg

Build update

Some recent milestones.

Panel wired and done: GRT 8.4 sport EFIS w/ auto pilot, Garmin Aera 510, Icom a200, Garmin Transpnder, Flightcom stereo intercom w/ipod and XM.
Have the EIS behind the panel with an oil pressure light on the panel. Also a dummy light for the fuel boost pump.

14p937.jpg

Fuse: Rebuilt 0320 E2D 160 upgrade. Sterba prop. Working on firewall forward, cowling 80%, canopy needs the fiberglass done. Decided to leave the gear off for ease of working. Still lots to do: Need to finish wings. Baffling, Emp still needs the fiberglass. Getting there, slow but sure.
Im sure this is the part you think your 80% done, yet 80% to go.

19mow6.jpg

Last edited:
back in the garage again

Feels good to be back to working on the 9A again!

The avionics wiring is done and tested, and just today I bonded on the windshield. Next is the fiberglass fairing around the windscreen. Then the cowl.

100_0514.jpg

100_0682.jpg

Looking good Dave! Don't dread the fiberglassing - that part is easy. Lay the strips down and let it set up. The worst part is the sanding/filling/sanding/filling/etc. and repeat 5 or 6 times as needed. ;)

Thanks Bruce. I have zero experience with fiberglass. I'm looking for the best builder site to follow for a basic windshield fairing. Lots of the ones I've found seem to do more complex stuff...

Not as bad as I feared ....

The front fillet for the canopy was not near as bad as I expected. Like Bruce said, it is a very "iterative" process. :) Just take it slow, always thinking ahead to the next step. There were a ffew things I did that made the job a little easier:
- painted a flat black contour on the inside that matched my eventual fairing line
- used West 407, the barn red filler material that's purportedly easier to sand than plain micro
- peel ply after each glass layer (that's huge in reducing the sanding time)
I'm sure others have even better tips ...

Dave,
Looks great. I will be bonding my front canopy this week. I remember the fiberglassing from the last plane. fill and sand, repeat many times. The scariest was the fairing between the front and back canopies, would it separate? I also interspersed carbon fiber on the fairing so that it would not break (as easily) when passengers accidentally grabbed to exit.

- peel ply after each glass layer (that's huge in reducing the sanding time)

As I read this, it appears you did multiple layups for the fairing??? Let each one cure, then added another???

I have done a couple of RV 10 windshields, and we just do all ten or so plys at the same time, then let the whole thing cure.

Yes, peel ply is good to smooth the final layer too.

My wording could have been better. I did all the FG layers at one time, but had succeeding layers of micro to eliminate "undulations" in the surface. I used peel-ply to reduce sanding required on some of the micro applications ... Especially around the sides of the layup area.

Smoothing with a spoon on top of peel ply

My canopy was bonded on with Sikaflex. After that, I sanded the plexi and used 409 Microfiller to create the basic shape of the fillet.

On a whim, I put peel ply directly on to the 'un-shaped' microfiller and used a big spoon on top of the peel ply to push the microfiller along and create the shape, working from the centre outwards. It was like squeezing toothpaste in a tube. Where the fairing is less concave around the 'notch', I switched to a cheap nylon tiling 'squeegee' that was lying around.

2h4yql4.jpg

When it set and the peel ply was removed, the resulting surface was perfect for the main FG cloth lay-ups, which consisted of the standard 9 layers, each one stepping out 1/8inch on each side working up from 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch wide strips. When all of these were applied (together), I put on fresh peel ply and used my spoon to do some more smoothing. As the profile was less concave at this stage, I simply used a bigger spoon.

Whether or not the spoon was responsible, I needed very little sanding and almost no micro to perfect the shape. The final finish was achieved using DanH's pinhole filling method (3/4 coats of pure epoxy applied with a squeegee).

Getting closer - hung the engine mount and I'm starting to work on the engine a bit. Not ready to hang the engine yet, but getting close. I pulled it out of the crate and was checking it out yesterday prior to ordering some parts for it. This is a 105TTSN IO360B1B with LS1 EI and Bendix injection, I'm going to put the Superior horizontal induction sump on it, keep the Bendix injection, mount an SD8 in place of the vacuum pump and use a Jihostroj governor for the WW200RV prop.

Here's a shot of the engine with one of my hangar-helpers looking on.

1000147f.jpg

Greg, Your build is looking great. I am getting ready to hand my engine too. I have been considering doing a couple layers of Fiberfrax and a second SS plate for fire protection - heat transfer. Maybe overkill and I am just considering it - not sold on it yet. I don't like the foil-to easy to damage and with a FP, an extra 5-7 lbs is not an issue for me.

Im not sure what the SD8 is to replace the vacuum pump is. I will have to look that up. Im still working on what I want for the panel. I see wires like crazy coming out of your panel area. Isn't the wiring fun!

Greg, Your build is looking great. I am getting ready to hand my engine too. I have been considering doing a couple layers of Fiberfrax and a second SS plate for fire protection - heat transfer. Maybe overkill and I am just considering it - not sold on it yet. I don't like the foil-to easy to damage and with a FP, an extra 5-7 lbs is not an issue for me.

Im not sure what the SD8 is to replace the vacuum pump is. I will have to look that up. Im still working on what I want for the panel. I see wires like crazy coming out of your panel area. Isn't the wiring fun!

The SD8 is a standby alternator, gives 8 amps nominal. I'm doing away with the engine-driven fuel pump and using dual electric pumps only, so my engine is electrically-dependent for fuel - so I am putting in a second alternator capable of pulling at least one fuel pump. If I lose the main alternator I've got Dynon screens with their backup batteries, so I'll just kill my avionics master to shed that load, let the Dynons go on their internal backup battery, and the SD8 keeps the fuel pumps going until I can get to a good spot to land. If the SD8 dies the main battery is still good for another 45 minutes. With both Dynon and MGL EFIS units I already have redundant flight instruments with gyro's, so I don't need the vacuum system.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. That sounds like a good way to go. I have considered adding FI to my engine, but not even sure where to start. I will probably just wait and think about it after I am flying.

I had no intention of working on my panel just yet - there are a thousand and one things that need to get done and that is just one of them - but this afternoon I picked up the actual panel piece and didn't have a good grip on it, it twisted and started to fall. I managed to catch it before it hit the ground, but in the process it took off a pretty good-sized chunk of skin on the left thumb.

After I got the bleeding stopped and the blood cleaned up and the thumb mostly bandaged up, I decided fair was fair - if the panel was going to cut me, then I was going to cut it back. So I did...

First two instruments are in, my backup MGL XTreme EFIS and my PMA audio panel. Final install will include dual 10" Skyviews and a 430W, as well as the Dynon comm radio (panel space reserved for it, whenever they finally release it).

1000184ln.jpg

Last edited:
Weight & Balance

Ok, things are really starting to move along. This photo has my plane up on scales. Yep, I am a fat boy! The scales came in at 1,140 lbs. That creates a Center of Gravity (CG) of 77.51. For a Vans RV9A, that CG number works out just fine. At my current weight I can carry myself, fuel fuel and just under 200 more pounds in the 9A. Yes, 'I' am on a diet. That will be the best way to carry more load. Shed some pounds off the belly, and fly with additional weight in the plane. I am now walking 10,000 steps a day and watching what I eat. Five pounds down so far!

IMG_0560.jpg

Lookin' Good!

Congratulations, Peter! You've motivated Rocky and I to build harder and faster! Also, it appears that I'll need to lose some weight, too!

Fit Bit Rocks

You using a Fitbit for step tracking? 1 think they figure 10000 steps is 5 miles, good job.

Yes, I have a Fit Bit Zip. It's my third fit bit, as I broke one and lost one. Fit Bit keeps me motivated to take my steps. Start with a long walk in the morning. The dog loves that one. Lunch and trips to the local grocery store are now walks.

I can do it, and it shows on the scale. With my plane coming in over weight, I need to shed pounds off of my belly to carry more. Simple as that. Good for health. Good for my load capacity in the RV9A :)

GreenPlane has a new pink slip

http://i48.tinypic.com/2jcactl.jpg[/IMG

Today after 7yrs we have an airplane, thanks to so many for the help.
I now have to get myself tuned-up before I begin the flying adventures of the new GreenPlane.

Congrats Jerry

You guys(gals) getting your pink slips are making me look really bad. I'm still hoping for this year. Congrats Jerry.

FAA Inspects N942PT

After 9.5 years, N942PT has gone from project to certified airplane. FAA Manufacturers Inspection District Office (MIDO) in Wichita, KS brought three inspectors for a 2.5 hour inspection on Good Friday 3/29/13. That is equal to 7.5 man hours of inspection and questioning. Two inspectors looked over the plane while the third covered documentation. Non-stop questions. All three have military backgrounds and wore the faces to prove it. I will give proper thanks to the many talented individuals and family members that made this possible after first flight when I report to Van's.
Special Airworthiness Certification is now in the plane. Phase I testing in the near future.

2f0anb4.jpg
[/IMG]

2vdlgz5.jpg
[/IMG]

20s7qww.jpg
[/IMG]

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
N942PT
VAF Dues Paid

After 9.5 years, N942PT has gone from project to certified airplane. FAA Manufacturers Inspection District Office (MIDO) in Wichita, KS brought three inspectors for a 2.5 hour inspection on Good Friday 3/29/13. That is equal to 7.5 man hours of inspection and questioning. Two inspectors looked over the plane while the third covered documentation. Non-stop questions. All three have military backgrounds and wore the faces to prove it. I will give proper thanks to the many talented individuals and family members that made this possible after first flight when I report to Van's.
Special Airworthiness Certification is now in the plane. Phase I testing in the near future.

2f0anb4.jpg
[/IMG]

2vdlgz5.jpg
[/IMG]

20s7qww.jpg
[/IMG]

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
N942PT
VAF Dues Paid

It's been about a year since my partner and I finished our RV9A project after 7 1/2 years of building then another 6 months of changing out the FADEC to dual lightspeed.
For all of those on the cusp of completion or in fact any stage of construction or even wondering whether too or not, listen up!
WOW!!! That sums it all up in 3 letters.
What a fantastic feeling of accomplishment with eyes to detail for so long, You are in the sky, my goodness, I built this flying machine and it is performing flawlessly just as advertised.
We have well over 100 hours of fun on this flying machine, constantly checking and tightening and adjusting not to mention concentrated looking. Like I said. WOW this is more fun than the law would normally allow except for cleaning off the bugs,. Now that is a pain and makes you wonder why?
Oh, if only all our problems were this trivial.

Wing went on for temporary this Saturday. Needed to get the fairings drilled so I can get the wings painted while waiting on an engine. I'll order the engine while at SNF next week.
3480vue.jpg

2f0anb4.jpg
[/IMG]

2vdlgz5.jpg
[/IMG]

20s7qww.jpg
[/IMG]

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
N942PT
VAF Dues Paid

Good Looking plane
Congrats on the pink

After 9.5 years, N942PT has gone from project to certified airplane.

20s7qww.jpg
[/IMG]

Pat, congratulations on producing a nice RV and adding it to the fleet.

Looking at this picture, it looks like you might have a problem dragging the left brake as you use the left rudder due to the fact that the brake pedal is not at the same angle as the right brake pedal.

Easy to fix..... just remove the lower bolt holding the master cyl and file or re drill another hole lower in the ear till the pedal tilts toward the firewall and matches the right pedal.

P.S. You will love that manual trim.

Last edited:
Brake pedal angle

"Looking at this picture, it looks like you might have a problem dragging the left brake as you use the left rudder due to the fact that the brake pedal is not at the same angle as the right brake pedal."

Thanks Gasman, I will take a closer look at this next time to the hanger. Not sure if this is due to a macro lens on the camera or if the pic shows more than the eye (probably). Will adjust if needed before first flight. I enjoy this site since good people help each other. Thanks for catching this in the pic.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A N942PT

2013 Dues paid.

I wish I could say it was headed to the airport but it isn't.
Just headed to storage so I have room in the garage to paint the wings/aileron/flaps.
9u0mbt.jpg

ARROW Completed. FAA Inspection Done.

It?s been seven years. March of 2006 I got the crazy idea that maybe I could build an airplane in my garage. Last Friday, the FAA said job well done, go fly. My airworthiness inspection was completed and I now have all the proper paper work that enables me to legally go out and fly. ARROW is completed and in the plane.....

A - Airworthiness Certification. FAA inspector handed that over at the completion of the inspection.

R - Registration. The first step in the process. I sent off three forms and the FAA sent back the registration doc that registers my plane as N35PM, Model: RV-9A, Manufacturer: MCCOY PETER J, Serial Num: 91335. This is important as all subsequent paper work must match this exactly.

R - Radio Certification. n/a. This is an old one from the days where you needed an FCC radio operator permit. I have one from back in the 70?s, buy it is no longer required.

O - Operating limitation. FAA document that describes what my flight profile will be in phase one flight testing as well as phase two flying. I get to fly 40 hours in a highlighted orange box over the desert North of Apple Vally, CA.

W - Weight and Balance. I weighed the plane and set the max gross weight. This paperwork outlines the center of gravity (C.G.) and the weight profile of various combination of passenger, baggage and fuel loading.

So now the big question. When will I fly the first flight. The answer is when I am ready, the engine is running smooth and sound, the weather is clear with calm winds, the airport is quiet, there isn?t a crowd of people standing around.... The first flight will be done soon, but not before all the conditions are just right. After seven years, I am not in a rush. When everything falls into the proper configuration, I will fly the first flight. Might be next weekend, might be the weekend after that. In any case, I am no longer waiting on anyone but me to decide when it?s time to go fly!

IMG_0416.jpg

Congratulations!!

I
So now the big question. When will I fly the first flight. The answer is when I am ready, the engine is running smooth and sound, the weather is clear with calm winds, the airport is quiet, there isn?t a crowd of people standing around.... The first flight will be done soon, but not before all the conditions are just right. After seven years, I am not in a rush. When everything falls into the proper configuration, I will fly the first flight. Might be next weekend, might be the weekend after that. In any case, I am no longer waiting on anyone but me to decide when it?s time to go fly!

Congrats on getting the plane done.

I commend you on the attitude above, right way to look at it.

Good luck with the fledging.

Congrats! Yes, fly when you're ready.

I drove mine on the ground for quite a bit because I was having trouble scheduling the FSDO. I even did a few runs down the runway while lifting the nosewheel. This all made me quite comfortable with the plane when I finally flew it for the first time.

Good luck!!

Woo-hoo...!

Pete, thunderous ovation!

I suppose little or no chance of bringing it to the RV Fly-In at KCNO on 4 May, for all the right reasons you've already mentioned. At least bring yourself, though. Hook a ride with one of the other RVers coming this way. A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

Thanks again for the wing stand.

A great big congratulations. I know the feeling. It took me 7 years and 5 months to finish mine and I had some expert help from Jay Pratt or it would have been even longer. I was also fortunate to have Roy Geer make the first flight for me. I hadn't flown regularly for a while and it just seemed like the right thing to do. I love my 9A and you will too. :)

Pete,
Congratulations!!!! Mine is ser. # 91300 and it first flew last July. You will truly enjoy it. Have fun with the Phase I, it will go by faster than you think. Other than the fuel checks!!!!

Good luck!!!

Pete, congratulations.
You do not know of me, but I do of you, since I followed your website since I started my building. I started on April, 2006, with RV9A 91372 (plane #9-975) and made my first flight on April 2011. I followed your site and Mike Schipper website (who was already flying at that date).
So, let us know if you will be happy of your first flight.
Ciao.
Camillo

Congratulations, Pete. It will probably not happen until next fall or winter, but I hope you are able to fly it up for lunch in Big Bear the next time we invite the So Call gang up.

Fly safe!

WAY to go, Peter!!!!!

Last August 31, I was exactly where you are today. My approach ;) to first flight was also just like yours. Only when I felt ready, and when the only person around was my Spousal Unit. I did 1.4 hrs of taxi tests to check all the running gear before first flight ... that was necessary for me to achieve a reasonable confidence level before First Flight.
Again, big-time congratulations!

Keep'm coming!

N539RV SN 9-1330
Now 2.5 yrs flying and 266 yrs with OSH 2012 under my belt. I've flown lots of different planes over the past 45 yrs and can tell you the -9A made me fall in love with flying all over again!

How Saahweet it is!!

Pete, We have traveled very similar paths and ended up at the exact same place - no hurry and you will absolutely know when it is right. I also suggest a lot of engine run time prior to the decision to go. It will make the flow from engine run to taxi to take off a smooth and logical one with much less anxiety.

Don't be surprised if the big event is somewhat anti-clamatic. Hopefully it comes and goes as a matter of course. Good luck

Ground run time

If your engine has not been broken in, then you need to keep ground run time to a MINIMUM! First flight run it at least 75% power and FULL RICH for the FIRST hour.

Very impressive Peter! Did I tell you how useful your website was during my build? We started almost simultaneously then you was ahead, then behind...
Great work on cowling! Let the fun begin...

WAY TO GO!!

Pete,
Congrats and a job well done. Good luck and have fun in phase 1. Also, a big thank you for your website. It has been a valuable resource for me in building my 9. If you ever make your way up to Minnesota, give me a shout.

Back