What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Jig done, thanks Rudi!

msturgis

Well Known Member
It's been a long time coming! Feeling like I've made a big step forward after stepping away from the build for almost two years.

Big thanks to Rudi for having his jig plans online. A few changes made to fit my situation, but over all a great design. Still want to build some supports for each ends of the rear spar.

FYI, the photo doesn't do it justice, but the blue I painted the posts are going to be the main color of the plane. :D

wingjig.jpg

I too am planning to use Rudi's design, but I am torn with the prospect of drilling my brand new shop floor for the feet. Having straight Wings sure outweighs a few holes in the floor though.

Since I have yet to do the epoxy floor coating, I figure I can get the Wings done, remove the stands, fill the holes and expansion joints and paint away and the next owner ;) will never know.

I like the blue!

I too am planning to use Rudi's design, but I am torn with the prospect of drilling my brand new shop floor for the feet. Having straight Wings sure outweighs a few holes in the floor though.

Since I have yet to do the epoxy floor coating, I figure I can get the Wings done, remove the stands, fill the holes and expansion joints and paint away and the next owner ;) will never know.

I like the blue!

Im with you. Once you cut off the anchors and patch them, no one will know. Small price to pay in order to have a solid foundation for our expensive wings. I only had to drill two holes per post and they are solid as a rock

Rudi's plans call for 2x4 metal posts. I found some 3x3 at a local metal supplier for half the price. They even cut the posts to size for me.

Last edited:
Jig plans online

Where can I find a link to the Jig Plans Online?

Are you referring to the Vans plans or Rudi's plans? Vans are not online but are in the Preview plans for each M&M of aircraft kit that Vans Sells. if you are looking for Rudi's plans for the metal stands, here is the link to his website:

http://www.rudigreyling.com/rv_tip_stands.html

For some details about the hardware that I used, you can refer to my blog entries by clicking on the Wing stand label.

I already know how you know!

recommend some sort of padding on the right angles on the floor pieces

ask me how i know

I beveled the upper ends of my angles at the advice of other builders, and that helps a little. But as you point out, maneuvering around the stands while bulding the wings may very well result in catching a toe or two before the wings are off the stands and ready for the cradle. Steel is very hard and unforgiving to the human body!

I avoided the toe-stubbing issue and the holes in the concrete with this RV-3B wing jig. It also lets me build both wings together.

The adjustment bolts on the bottom of each leg are Bondoed to the garage floor. When done, that chips off.

Note the cross-wires in the top. They add rigidity.

Toe stubbing wasn't so much what I was concerned about as tripping and bashing my partly-built wings.

124c9xs.jpg

Dave

wing jig

Awesome idea Dave. I'm going that route. I may call when the time comes. Looks like it could be used as a paint booth if no wing were in it. I just took both HS apart for rebutting, dumpling, sanding and priming. Wings are a month or two away.

...but the blue I painted the posts are going to be the main color of the plane...

I used Rudi's plans and they worked great. Painted the left wing stand red and right green to help prevent stupid mistakes while building both at the same time.

IMG_1037.JPG

Got a little help with the left ones.

Snapshot_20091230.jpg

Plumb bob question?

Ok guys, I've been researching this thread and have followed the link to rudi's page and have a question -- why the plumb bob? What are we trying to get plum? I can't tell from the photo and I'm no where close to that step so I was just wondering ..... and how critical IS this jig in regards to this task? Is the vertical construction that much more precise?:confused:
Thanks!

Are you referring to the Vans plans or Rudi's plans? Vans are not online but are in the Preview plans for each M&M of aircraft kit that Vans Sells. if you are looking for Rudi's plans for the metal stands, here is the link to his website:

http://www.rudigreyling.com/rv_tip_stands.html

For some details about the hardware that I used, you can refer to my blog entries by clicking on the Wing stand label.

Plumb Bobs

You attach one at both ends of the wing spar so it hangs down to where the tip is relatively even with the rear spar. You check the measurement between the rear spar and each plumb bob at both ends. if the wing is true and straight and has no twist, the measurements at both ends should match. If the measurements differ, that means there is some degree of twist in the frame that needs to be corrected. This is where the adjustable spar supports come into play. You tweak those and your support for the rear spar until the twist is removed. The rear spar then gets clamped into place on another piece of angle that I have yet to install on my stands. (Waiting till I get the frame riveted to both spars so I can take measurements, drill more holes, etc.). of course I am only speculating that this process is the same process for the Wing on the RV-14 as it is for the others. it should be explained in the plans.

Last edited:
thanks Bryan....

did not have a clue....

You attach one at both ends of the wing spar so it hangs down to where the tip is relatively even with the rear spar. You check the measurement between the rear spar and each plumb bob at both ends. if the wing is true and straight and has no twist, the measurements at both ends should match. If the measurements differ, that means there is some degree of twist in the frame that needs to be corrected. This is where the adjustable spar supports come into play. You tweak those and your support for the rear spar until the twist is removed. The rear spar then gets clamped into place on another piece of angle that I have yet to install on my stands. (Waiting till I get the frame riveted to both spars so I can take measurements, drill more holes, etc.). of course I am only speculating that this process is the same process for the Wing on the RV-14 as it is for the others. it should be explained in the plans.

Back