What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kids and RVs

Dave Taylor

Well Known Member
Just curious how many folks get their kids involved in the build. Tabetha has been helping me for the past few years. Sure, everything takes longer but she enjoys it so much it is well worth it! Here is Tabetha when I got the tail kit.

Here she is tonight helping out. She is finally strong enough to use the cleco pliers.

Show us your pics of kids helping out with the build.

Last edited:
This one is now 8...
DSCN5578.JPG

The older one is now almost 12 and thinks she is 21...
DSCN5579.JPG

DSCN5724.JPG

DSCN5731.JPG

We did a bunch of flying in the garage!
DSCN5732.JPG

1st trip to the new hangar...
DSCN7156.JPG

This is the youngest. She is now 4...

DSCN7690.JPG

vrc48z.jpg

DSCN9091.JPG

Here we all are about a year ago for reference. They grow up fast!
photoa.JPG

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my litttle guy helping with the FAB on the new engine.\
IMG_1071.JPG

And here he is "enjoying" a flight, out cold, or as he said, "Daddy, I wasn't sleeping, I was looking outside."
IMG_3750.JPG

(Yes, his booster seats fits up front with the stick in place.)

I love having my kids in the shop...

My son Chase loves to help deburr junk parts...
DSC_0017.jpg

Here's what happens when dad takes the deburring tool and says it his turn:)
(I should have ponied up for two of those little yellow tools:D
DSC_0018.jpg

My son Levi, who has had the most active role in helping build, is helping me inventory my wing kit.
DSC_0016.jpg

What a great idea for a thread..... who can resist showing off their kiddos....

Jillian - age 3 helping me with the empennage in 2008
2im5dar.jpg

Jillian - age 7 first RV ride
2e21j5g.jpg

Josh - age 6 helping me proseal in the static ports (was great having a kiddo to climb back there)
118kvg6.jpg

Josh - age 9 getting ready for his first RV ride.
27zgm00.jpg

Little baby Kenna came out to test out the Classic Aero seats last weekend, then she was inspecting my panel labels. Probably gonna need some seat wedges!:)

fnrfb5.jpg

29p3edz.jpg

Back in early 2007 on the tail kit, my son Brad assisted me quite a bit. The first photo is Brad assisting me with clecos on the rudder. The second photo is Brad showing his younger sister Renee how to do blind riveting.

Time sure does fly. Renee is now in her third year at The Ohio State University and Brad is now flying T-38s at Sheppard AFB. It's taken me right at six years to finish the RV-10. I hope to be flying by the end of March. Building the RV-10 certainly has been a family affair.

FP16112010A0002W.jpg

FP16112010A00033.jpg

Christmas Elves

It's always nice to get what you asked for for Christmas. Both kiddos and two nephews helping at the same time.

IMG_1910.JPG

Kids and RV Projects

All,

As a father with two young boys (4yrs and 9mo.), I am begining my RV-7 project with a mindset of inclusion. My 4 yr old has a page from the preview plans hanging in his room so he can "study"!!

The pics are all very inspiring. I will post some of my own once the project gets going....!

-John

I need to show my wife this thread. She was ok with a future build *if* the kids are interested when they get older (Elise is 2½ and Steven is 8 months; looking to start in a few years after a number of other housey / family projects).
I took her [my wife] to see my old RV-8 project (sold to a local builder when I divorced the previous) and she has taken a look at the amount of work and the level of workmanship required and now has doubts that it would be a good idea to get the kids invoved at all, which could mean a big road bump for my plans.

Family Flying

She is still a little young, but when she sleeps out in the shop with me that does help ;) So, instead of a "helping me build" picture, we did just take her up on her first flight Sunday morning!
(She was asleep before the wheels left the ground :p)

blogger-image--1702174451.jpg

blogger-image--1253578973.jpg

blogger-image-953119197.jpg

Kids as my helpers

My youngest wants to fly and his friends at school didn't believe him when he told them he was building an airplane so it is not too difficult to get him involved.

FutureBarnstormer_zps6aaafc38.jpg

Enlistedhelp_zps67cca05f.jpg

I think it is important that they learn basic skills and how to use tools. One of the best memories I have of growing up is my Dad teaching me work working. Those skills (and memories) are lasting a lifetime.

RoseytheRiveter_zpsbab418aa.jpg

DSCN0930.jpg

I love the kids threads - what great family bonding time. It amazes me, though, how many parents let their kids work on airplanes without safety glasses! (Mike, you're doing it right!)

Working in a big airplane factory, and having an optometrist in the family, I've seen some pretty gruesome eye injuries that resulted from a lazy attitude about protective eyewear. Please please please, grab your kids, take them to the store, and let them pick out a pair of "cool" airplane safety glasses to wear whenever they're in the shop. And set a good example by always wearing yours as well!

(End of soapbox)

make it a family project and it'll get done!

From first HS stab part completed:

HS_first_steps.JPG

to checking out how the wings are coming together:

LeftWingInboardEndMainSkinsOn.jpg

To first flight into Oshkosh:

Oshkosh(2009)FirstNight098.JPG

to earning his own private pilot license in a Citabria:

JustinCheckride.JPG

I could go on, as the inside of my RV is also decorated with numerous Sharpie drawings done by my youngest daughter during the 12 plus years of building....

So yes, definitely get your family involved!!

No matter their age, they are always your kid

My son home on leave from the sand back in 2009 helped hang the engine.
RV-7build365.jpg

Today he got his first ride in an RV.
81f35b9db220a7735f9f1dcaa9ed6e2c_zps107bf0a8.jpg

Oh Yeah, It's a family affair

Well, my 9 yr old deburrer is now 23 and a diesel mechanic in Albuquerque (go figure).

Building an airplane is a family affair. The sooner the builder realizes that the better off they will be. :)

10ztoah.jpg

Don't forget to get the wife involved as soon as possible. I learned that my AFTER first go around.

b9g8sn.jpg

Last edited:
All the kids work

Everybody works
cropped-Poster22.jpg

Unpacking the wing kit
midsize-011-2.jpg

The oldest
046.JPG

The younger
s1600

2011-04-02_10-42-40_280-740624.jpeg