What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Atlanta Airspace Change

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
Effectve today, the airspace around Atanta has changed significantly. Several layers of the Class B have been lowered, widened, or otherwise changed. If you are used to working around the edges of the old airspace, odds are, those routes will be through the new airspace.

Update your databases, get a new sectional, understand the changes.

The folks at Hartsfield are not sympathetic to airspace busts.

ATL Airspace

Kyle, I looked around on the west side at about the 30nm radius didn't see much change where i make the circle around. That was on Air Nav on line, assuming that was up to date. Can you indicate where you saw the change in the floor? Looks like the floor still at 8000 at the 30nm radius except for a new triangle shaped 5000 floor block around the Newnan area. I seldom travel the southeast side of the circle. Sequestering I guess? DRR

Atlanta Class B

So, do I assume my latest Jeppeson download for my Garmin 420W for period starting 7 March 13 has the latest airspace change?

Jepp Download

So, do I assume my latest Jeppeson download for my Garmin 420W for period starting 7 March 13 has the latest airspace change?

I just talked with Jeppesen on phone and tech rep said yes, the change to ATL airspace is in the latest download dated 7 Mar 13.

I updated WingX yesterday and this morning the Class B indicated on the charts was correct, BUT the Airspace Tab in WingX showed the wrong outlines. A quick update in the database section of the Airports DB fixed it.

Make sure ALL your databases are updated. Changes happen quickly.

ATL Class B

Yep, see it now on the new VFR terminal chart I picked up from VPC today. Where you could fly under 8000 and remain clear on the west side. You now need to fly under 4000 in portions of that same route.

Yep, see it now on the new VFR terminal chart I picked up from VPC today. Where you could fly under 8000 and remain clear on the west side. You now need to fly under 4000 in portions of that same route.

Yeah, my path to the South used to be directly South at 3,000'. That put me 500' below the airspace and about 2,000' AGL. The new airspace will push me down another 500', which is too low for my comfort level. There are plenty of areas along the West side where you are above a forest with no viable landing sites. I'll be detouring West a bit from now on...

Over the top

Coming from the Nashville, TN area, I find it much easier just to go over the top at 13.5. At RV speeds it takes less than 15 minutes to cross the entire Class B area, and it's fun to watch all the airliners below you doing their thing.

Back