What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Caption Contest?

WSBuilder

Well Known Member
This little fellow, I named him Rory (for the baby boomers) took up residence behind my RV-4 wings, which are suspended from my garage ceiling. Friendly as a pup, he takes food from my hand and sprawls on the shelves or on top of the wings to watch me build. He only looks menacing in the pix; he's chomping on cat food.

2816bnb.jpg
[/IMG]

I hate to be a downer but I helped some vets do a study on raccoons. A majority of the raccoons carried "Baylisascaris procyonis" which is a parasite that can be very dangerous and deadly to humans. The only real way we were able to destoy the eggs was with a flame thrower. I was able to listen to an expert on the subject and I still get an ill feeling everytime I see something like this. Please be very careful with this situation.

Raccoon Skywalker:

Will you shut up and listen to me! Shut down all the garbage smashers on the detention level, will ya? Do you copy? Shut down all the garbage smashers on the detention level! Shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level!

Careful

Wild racoons often carry rabies as well. ditto be careful.

Caption: "But I'm the perfect size for bucking those tail cone rivets."

Hey You, Rivetboy! what's it take to get some fresh sardines around here?.......i swear hard to find good help around here....wait 'til he finds all the little compartments of cat food in these aluminum things."

I had 2 of them for pets when I was a kid. Give him an egg if you want to see something funny. They poke a hole in either end and suck it down like a beer.

ugh . . .

Relocate (if you're soft hearted) it before it invites friends (more coons, fleas, ticks, etc) or any of the previously noted diseases along. And find and close the hole he used to get in!

My avatar is my local woodchuck/squirrel killer. 3 in 2011. 1 (I think) in 2012. Your (and my) dismissal of single critters won't affect the global cycle of nature. ;)

As for a quote: "Morituri Te Salutant!"

Rick 90432

Last edited:
Gotta agree

with Randy - those 'pirate looking guys' are meaner and with more teeth than just about any other animal their size. Gotta wonder where they 'dispose' of the cat food - not near my airplane or inside of my garage, etc.! Suggest that you put him outside and let him earn his living stealing cat and dog food from your neighbors, etc.

I'd name him GONE.:eek:

Gone, Git, or Scat

Earlier poster cited raccoons carrying "Baylisascaris procyonis"

"...In North America, B. procyonis infection rates in raccoons are very high, being found in around 70% of adult raccoons and 90% of juvenile raccoons... Eggs are produced by the worm while in the intestine, and the released eggs will mature to an infective state externally in the soil.

"...Human infection of B. procyonis has been relatively rare, with about 13 cases reported since 1980. However, disease caused by this parasite can be extremely dangerous, causing death or severe symptoms. Reported disease has primarily afflicted children and almost all cases were a result of the ingestion of contaminated soil or feces... Out of the 13 cases, 5 were fatal and the remaining victims were left with severe neurological damage. Even with treatment, prognosis is poor... Animal studies have shown that treatment is more favorable before the larvae have migrated to the brain; however, migration to the brain was shown to occur only 3 days after ingestion, leaving a very small window of opportunity.

It is possible that human infection is more common than diagnosed and most cases do not reach a clinical stage.

"...has become a concern for its potential use as an agent of bioterrorism. The fact that this parasite's eggs are easy to acquire, able to live for years, extremely resistant to many disinfectants and heat, and cause serious infections in humans with poor treatment options could make it a dangerous weapon..."

This all came from Wikipedia - YMMV

You really need to get that thing out of there! Safety, disease, and I doubt he is litter box trained. Since you are feeding cat food, I will make an assumption that you do have cats. If this is the case, your little buddy could lay waste to your favorite kitty in no time if cornered.
Go to the local SPCA and get a Havaheart trap. Bait it up and go to the capture mode. Then take the guy for about a 20 mile ride out into the country and let him go.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorders Abundant

I too have availed myself a Wiki education and have taken to heart all the advice (I can stand) on the elimination of the cute rodent and appreciate all the information and concern evident. Consider him dispatched.
Now, please return to clever and amusing banter.

My Caption Entry..

"Build an airplane you will..Hmmmp!? Fly it yourself you will...Hmmmp!?..... Do.. or do not.. there is no TRY."

Move it

I concur with those concerned with safety. These are nasty little critters. Please remove to the woods or someplace.

In my job flying medical helicopters we once flew a guy that got a nasty bite from a raccoon. He thought he was okay but the wound infected and he had a heart episode. Later had to do the rabies vaccinations. Ouch!!!

But, as long as the picture is there....

"Oh no, they're firing up the BBQ!!"

Animal studies have shown that treatment is more favorable before the larvae have migrated to the brain; however, migration to the brain was shown to occur only 3 days after ingestion, leaving a very small window of opportunity.
Well, I guess that 'splains why I became a pilot. Brain infection. Who knew that's where "the spark" comes from.

caption...........

"With landings like those, a little disease is the least of your worries!" :cool:

or

"I'm the RCN and I'm here to help!" :eek:

Last edited:
Update

For the city folk concerned with disease and the country folk familiar with lacerations, Rory was relocated this evening to the woods around my airstrip where he can play with all the bobcats. It took longer for me to bait the trap than for him to climb into it.

good grief

I never knew Racoons were so dangerous. I'm glad we only have poisonous snakes and spiders! (and a few other things :D)

Jim

Internet Hysteria

I never knew Racoons were so dangerous. I'm glad we only have poisonous snakes and spiders! (and a few other things :D)

Jim

It's not so much the raccoon. It's their poop, when eaten that's so deadly! It's a wonder the human population hasn't been wiped out!

Huh!??

It's their poop, when eaten that's so deadly!

Does anyone else have a problem with "poop" as the object and "eaten" as the action in the same sentence? :confused:

Think I'd rather cuddle one of those snakes I mentioned earlier.:D

Jim

Jim
Me neither. But he looks sooooo cute.

If you want to get rid of him, try your normal trick with a lump of cat food, but in your other hand, have a pair of scissors to cut the string holding your wing to the roof. The soon-to-be-hat would cushion any damage and you get rid of your coon problem.*

*If you try saying you have a 'coon problem in Australia, you're liable to be branded racist, and/or arrested. Probably about the only time I can get away with saying it is here and now. :D

Does anyone else have a problem with "poop" as the object and "eaten" as the action in the same sentence? :confused:

Think I'd rather cuddle one of those snakes I mentioned earlier.:D

Jim

I believe my syntax was correct. If you read some of the (unsolicited) dire warnings posted about raccoon disease potential it referenced 18 U.S. documented cases (young children and retarded persons) over the last 30 years or so, of human infection by a specific ascarid (flesh eating larvae) as a result of (presumeably) unknowingly injesting raccoon feces. Of course raccoons, which are not typical in the American diet, are not the only animal known for nematode invasion. Pigs are renowned for having them, thus the frequent admonishment to properly cook pork. In fact, the worms are typical in any animal that has its mouth in the dirt most of the time.
And yes, raccoons also host infectious bacteria and are known for carrying rabies and for possessing an impressive set of teeth. I actually appreciate peoples' concern for my welfare, not knowing my experiences and capabilities regarding wildlife, but I found it humorous coming from wacko's who construct flying machines in their living rooms and fly them. Some probably ride motorcycles, and smoke, and drink alcohol, and skydive, and drive in traffic, etc.
It's all about risk management, isn't it?

Me neither. But he looks sooooo cute.

If you want to get rid of him, try your normal trick with a lump of cat food, but in your other hand, have a pair of scissors to cut the string holding your wing to the roof. The soon-to-be-hat would cushion any damage and you get rid of your coon problem.[/SIZE]

Silly Aussie....Then my hand with the cat food would get crushed, too!:D

Back