What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon "bearing source", searching forums

jthocker

Well Known Member
I'm having a little trouble searching the forums for info. For instance, I'm trying to find some info on why I can't get my RMI pointers on my "legacy" Dynon system to show the Active and standby VOR's in my Garmin 430. If I put bearing source into the search box, I get bearing, and source indivual hits. If I put "bearing source" into the box, I still get "bearing" and "source" individually.

If anybody (maybe Brantel or Bob Mills) can help on the bearing thing I'd appreciate it.

My new upgraded panel now has Garmin 430,Garmin 796, Dynon D180, D100, HS34, AP74, Trig transponder.
D180 is the current Bus master with the remote compass and OAT linked to it.
430 is GPS 1 and 796 is GPS 2
430 feeds the HS34 via ARINC 429 and also into RS232 ch1
796 feeds the HS34 via RS232 ch 2
trig feeds the 796 via RS232 ch 1 RX

Everything works great via the HS34: Nav source 1 green line from 430
GPS 1 magenta line from 430
GPS 2 magenta line from 796

With 2 active VOR's in the 430 I can center the green needle on each one, but when I press the "bearing source" button, the yellow and orange "fields" highlight, but nothing enters there.
What am I missing?

It was a much simpler life with an SL40 and a 496!!!!!!

I will ask my aeroplane partner - he just set up ours when we fitted the HS34 - had similar issues and I'm sure he will know - or email him, his name is Mark Browning and he is registered here.

Jon,

The 430/430W does not have a mode where you can monitor two VOR's like you can with the SL-30. You can only get one at a time. The SL-30 is the only nav radio that has that feature.

To change the source for the bearing pointer, press the brg source button and then turn the value knob to rotate thru the available sources....

The Vaue Knob! I think I read that somewhere, but my brain must have skipped over that. Too many manuals now to sift thru! Thanks Brian, I'll try that!

I knew Brian would have that in "RAM". I had to dig into my "hard drive", and in the time it took me to commute to work, Brian had it!

One question for clarification: When ya push the bearing source and turn the value knob, will it cycle through GPS 1, GPS 2, and NAV1, or will it toggle between NAV 1 and NAV 2? I'm thinking the former, as turning the value knob won't actually change the active VOR freq in the 430...right?

And without the SL-30, the orange needle (STBY VOR) will never show...correct?

Just makin' sure!

Sounds like a nice setup John! Any pics?

Merry Christmas!!
Cheers,
Bob

Bob,

If you have the 796 and the 430 attached, the bearing should go:

GPS1, GPS2, NAV1, OFF

As you turn the value knob.

As Brian correctly states, you'll never see SBY1 unless you have a SL-30 connected since the 430 doesn't output data from the standby NAV frequency.

Here ya go Bob!

After doing a Skyview + Dynon D6 install with the same radio stack (430/100EX) in a friends RV8 and then Greg Reese's G3X install with a 430/100EX. I decided that what I really wanted was, a larger moving map, and dedicated course, hdg, and altitude select knobs for IFR. The legacy Dynon stuff fit the bill better for me, since I already had the D180 and AP74.

Really nice John...well set up. Looks like it'll be great to fly behind!!!
Nicely done!

Cheers,
Bob

Well I can report that the value knob did indeed cycle thru the Bearing Sources just as advertised. Also very cool was inputing a flight plan into the 430 to a close by airport, taking off engaging nav on the AP74 and then watching the AP fly the whole approach including procedure turn, and also monitoring the approach on the 796 displaying the approach chart. I am thinking that the 200 bucks for the Garmin Flite charts on the 796 might be the way to go for me now, instead of Foreflight for 150 bucks a year. (75 +75), on the IPAD.

Sorry for the late reply.....i agree with Jon the 430/430W does not have a mode where you can monitor two VOR's. Pleased to see that you have had success with it.
We had a number of issues with our GNS430, Dynons and HS34 not talking to each other all resolved with the set up of the 430 and Dynons pretty much straight forward. If you need any specific help with the set up just let me know.

Have great New Year

Mark

DSC03348.jpg

Last edited:
Well I can report that the value knob did indeed cycle thru the Bearing Sources just as advertised. Also very cool was inputing a flight plan into the 430 to a close by airport, taking off engaging nav on the AP74 and then watching the AP fly the whole approach including procedure turn, and also monitoring the approach on the 796 displaying the approach chart. I am thinking that the 200 bucks for the Garmin Flite charts on the 796 might be the way to go for me now, instead of Foreflight for 150 bucks a year. (75 +75), on the IPAD.

Nice panel! I was thinking along the very same lines for my new 8A. Q: does the AP74 / 430 setup fly the vertical on GPS approaches, or do you have to control altitude?

The Dynon AP does not currently couple to the vertical on any approach (yet :rolleyes:).

It will however hold a pre-set vertical speed when moving from the current to a different selected altitude. I have tested it with normal glide slope angles and it will pretty much stay right on target all the way down if you just move the altitude bug to the decision height. This is not the same as a coupled approach however....

Last edited:
Back