What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Traffic jam on Foxtrot

lernez

I was number one on taxiway Foxtrot, looking forward to scarfing a delicious meal at the Waypoint Cafe at Camarillo, when ground comes up with, "207A, hold at Alpha...Expect a 5 to 10 minute delay."

Twenty minutes later, this rather large 4-engine beast came rumbling straight at me. It was very impressive...

2afg4up.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed your photo link. Hit the "Quote" button and take a look at what the system wants to see.

Cool photo! When you said "four engined beast" I first thought about Air Force One, but it's on the other side of the world today, and if it had been coming in, the delay would have been closer to 20 hours than 20 minutes.:rolleyes:
2afg4up.jpg

I was number one on taxiway Foxtrot, looking forward to scarfing a delicious meal at the Waypoint Cafe at Camarillo, when ground comes up with, "207A, hold at Alpha...Expect a 5 to 10 minute delay."

Twenty minutes later, this rather large 4-engine beast came rumbling straight at me. It was very impressive...

2afg4up.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for the fix. I still don't understand what you did. If you want to dumb it down and not take up the forum space, reply to [email protected].
Thanks again!
Steve Lerner
RV-6A

Great shot!

I had that same airplane chase me around the pattern at Sun 'n Fun last year when I was doing flyby in the RV-1, but I didn't have the chance to take a picture. I was in Crosswind at the end of my last pass when the tower told me that my traffic was "A" B-29 on a forty-five entry to downwind, and that I would be ahead of him. I said I could fly a short base, but they said they'd just extend his downwind.

I figured that cost them more fuel than the RV-1 burned on it's entire North American tour last year.... (I cut the base close)

Thanks for the fix. I still don't understand what you did. If you want to dumb it down and not take up the forum space, reply to [email protected].
Thanks again!
Steve Lerner
RV-6A

You put the part that starts with http: and ends with .jpg between a
B] and a [B]
. Anything more or anything less usually ends up with a broken link. tinypic generates a link with this already done that you can copy and paste into your post.

Great picture, I haven't managed anything like that .......yet. I always live in hope. The closest so far has been - just before a 90degree bend in the taxiway, view obscured by a hangar:- "Golf Zulu, hold, I've got a Hurricane coming the other way and he's not talking to me"!:eek::eek::eek: But sadly no camera with me.

Me an' Fifi

Here's the shot from inside of the cockpit of 207A. If you look closely at the top of the canopy front, you can see the top of the ipad sticking out, trying to get a shot of Fifi.

The first shot was taken by John Barco who was in his Turbo Arrow IV, stuck in the number two position on the taxiway.
2zdo9qr.jpg

Great shot!

I had that same airplane chase me around the pattern at Sun 'n Fun last year when I was doing flyby in the RV-1, but I didn't have the chance to take a picture. I was in Crosswind at the end of my last pass when the tower told me that my traffic was "A" B-29 on a forty-five entry to downwind, and that I would be ahead of him.

Good grief, what a great moment to be a controller! :eek:

Great shot!

I had that same airplane chase me around the pattern at Sun 'n Fun last year when I was doing flyby in the RV-1, but I didn't have the chance to take a picture. I was in Crosswind at the end of my last pass when the tower told me that my traffic was "A" B-29 on a forty-five entry to downwind, and that I would be ahead of him. I said I could fly a short base, but they said they'd just extend his downwind.

I figured that cost them more fuel than the RV-1 burned on it's entire North American tour last year.... (I cut the base close)

Great Picture.
Geez Paul, that thing could have sucked you through it's intake, spit you out the other side, and nobody would have even noticed you where there!

In Butte MT in 2011...

I was sandwiched between these two.

This guy in front:

35jgu10.jpg

And this guy behind me:

25svmt2.jpg

Glad his guns were secured. :)

A couple of decades ago, I flew over to the South Bend Regional Airport in my Grumman Yankee because I heard that "FIFI" would be there. It's a small enough airport that when the tower asked where I was headed after landing, I told them that I was there to see "FIFI," and they just had me taxi right over next to it!

My little Yankee was parked just outside a yellow rope barrier, practically under the wing of "FIFI." As I was crawling out of the cockpit, I noticed a young boy, probably 3 or 4 years old, just staring at my plane. His grandfather was trying to get him to look at "FIFI," but he seemed entranced with my plane. I think it was just because it was HIS size of airplane.

I passed under the yellow rope to see if the boy wanted to get a closer look at my Yankee, perhaps to even sit in it, when I overheard Grandpa telling young Joey that the big plane "is an F1-F1 ... they had them on Tinian when I was there in the war." Seriously. "F1-F1." :D

Little Joey didn't want to sit in my plane, but he did accept my offer to take a walk-around.

F1-F1. :D :D :D

Back