What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: West Virginia

New river/gauley river

Fly into KSXL. Summersville for the best white water rafting in the world (no joke)

March through August run the new river with one one the local companies such as Class VI, Wild Water, or ACE. I think that there are at least 4 class V rapids. It is the warm up to the upper gauley. Best water is in spring to early summer. Best time when the river is running 12 feet.

Late August through Oct they release water out of the Summersville **** for 22 days. Only on weekends. Upper gauley is hands down the best guaranteed white white in the world. The gauley has about 120 rapids in 26 miles. Upper gauley has 5 solid class V rapids and lots of class IV. Run the New River first to see if you can handle the upper gauley.

Class VI has some great food. At least they did 10 years ago.

Drop me a line for more details. Lived in WV from 96-01.

Assume rock climbing as well.

Cheers

Ken

KSXL needs to be added to my bucket list. I use to paddle the Nanahala and the Ocoee rivers. Summersville looks perfect.

Rafting

I have been going to the New River and Upper Gauley rafting since I was 18 years old back in 1982. The Upper Gauley, when the dam flood gates are open, is the best rafting in the United States without question.
The last time we did the Upper Gauley, in 2019, we were on a two week long motorcycle trip through West Virginia and Smoky Mountain National Park. Running up and down the canyons on a motorcycle is something everyone should do.

To update my earlier post, we flew to KSXL and used the courtesy car (there are 2) to explore the New River Gorge and WV mountains. It's a quiet, friendly airport. We'll be back in the Spring to see the flowers!

Jim Butcher

Back