What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cummins spinner

HansLab

Well Known Member
Any of you put on a Cummins spinner (Aluminum) or other brand aluminum?
Cummins doesn't provide the hole for the pitot - how hard can that be?
On my plane an aluminum spinner would certainly add something great!!

Attachments

• voorbijrijden.JPG
    voorbijrijden.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 304
Relocate

You can drill it but difficult to be exact. Just relocate an inexpensive pitot. I think I spent $35 and used the service panel. It was replaced in about an hour and then used a new solid spinner from Sensenich or in your case the Chrome or Aluminum spinner :D

Attachments

• 9A9322A6-41AE-49B0-A277-2F9ECF1B644B.jpg
    9A9322A6-41AE-49B0-A277-2F9ECF1B644B.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 192
Hey Hans - I saw you the other day at EHHO - really nice looking aircraft! I was with my daughter and she gave me a phd-level art history lesson about the inspiration for that paint scheme. Have to admit I just said "no idea what you are talking about, but I like the paint!"

I agree, a chromed spinner would be nice. There is chrome paint that will probably be a lot cheaper than a new spinner.

https://www.airbrush-services-almere.nl/airbrush-verf/inspire/inspire-chrome-shadow-chrome.html

This I s a long process but will find the center. Mount the spinner on the plane with the pitot tube removed. Put the airplane on saw horses. Remove one set of spark plugs, top or bottom. Rig up a method to hold a fine tip marking pen so it will be pointed at the approximate spinner center, a tripod is good for this. Rotate the propeller through several revolutions allowing the marker to draw a small circle on the spinner tip.
Note; the aluminum spinner will need some sort of bushing to keep it from wearing on the aluminum pitot tube.

Thanks for the heads up Mickey!! The story behind the scheme is as simple as the operational execution was: I needed a scheme that left as much as rivet-lines as possible. When painted one looses the straight effect of these lines. Apart from that I did want to cover all epoxy parts. Standing in a museum one 12-year old girl asked her mother why this painter used so much area for just a few cubes of paint... the rest is history.

" Note; the aluminum spinner will need some sort of bushing to keep it from wearing on the aluminum pitot tube" .
Don' t you think the existing bushing will cover this Walt?

Cummins ???

U may want to see if Cummins is still making these. I bought mine 5+ years ago. Recent posts here on VAF seem to indicate that Cummins has gone silent. Maybe someone can advise latest info ??

" Note; the aluminum spinner will need some sort of bushing to keep it from wearing on the aluminum pitot tube" .
Don' t you think the existing bushing will cover this Walt?

The stock bushing has been time tested so it would be my first choice. The stock bushing is designed to be the tip of the spinner. I’m not sure how “pretty” that would look on a polished aluminum spinner. The next issue would be bonding it to the aluminum, maybe pro seal or JB weld.

Chrome paint

Works like a charm!! Admit: the difference with a genuine aluminum spinner might be noticed once the plane is on its parking space and the spectator is 10ft or less close by.
But I am very happy with the results. Sprayed in 5 thin layers, used the original spinner. No fuzz with replacing the pitot, and just some $60,- investment. Great idea, thanks again!!

Attachments

• IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 125
U may want to see if Cummins is still making these. I bought mine 5+ years ago. Recent posts here on VAF seem to indicate that Cummins has gone silent. Maybe someone can advise latest info ??
After all I ordered a spinner at Cummins, only to find out that they don' t manufacture 10" spinners at all.
So that's no option.
Anyone another thought for a supplier?

Back