What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil pressure light

dan carley

Well Known Member
i'd like to install a low oil pressure light in my rv. can one be made or is there a kit you can buy? where would you get one?

thanks
dan carley
RV-4
N14FT

It's easy, Dan...

.....to simply tee into the oil pressure sending line and install a cheap pressure switch that's normally closed and wire the light to it.

Regards,

i'd like to install a low oil pressure light in my rv. can one be made or is there a kit you can buy? where would you get one?

thanks
dan carley
RV-4
N14FT

Here is the whole kit for $16.00:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Warning-Light-Kits,897.html

I have this setup on my RV-6. Whenever I get around to it I might change out the switch for a "15 lb" switch that will turn on the light earlier:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+317507&D=317507

The main reason I installed the warning light was so it would serve as a "Turn Off the Master You Idiot-Light". ;)

Just make sure you support all this stuff to protect from vibration. To just keep adding nipples, tees, sending units, etc. from the oil pressure port on the engine is a sure way to insure that your light WILL come on!:eek:

Guess I should modify that: If the sending unit breaks away from its grounding source, you'll still lose all your oil, but you won't have to stare at the light!

Last edited:
I used a "Low Oil Sensor" which fits into the sump, it comes on if the engine falls to 4 qts. of oil. I thought an early indication of loss of oil would be more important than waiting for a light which showed imediate low oil pressure. Of course I do have an oil pressure indicator on my EIS/EFIS. Something to think about.

Just make sure you support all this stuff to protect from vibration. To just keep adding nipples, tees, sending units, etc. from the oil pressure port on the engine is a sure way to insure that your light WILL come on!:eek:

It should go without saying that sensors and switches should not be mounted on the engine. My oil pressure switch is teed off the pressure line at the remote sensor on the firewall. The firewall-mounted remote sensor manifolds that many builders are now using make it very simple to add the pressure switch.

Bright Light

I installed a bright red light to let me know that I left my master on. All it is, is an oil pressure sensor. I never have left my master on, thanks to the bright light.

Steve Barnes the Builders Coach

Back