What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kudos to David Clark Co.

rjsflyer

Just wanted to give cudos to David Clark Co. for the great customer service I received from them recently. I had a problem with some noise interference in one of the earcups on an H10-13XL headset that I purchased almost 10 years ago. I packaged them up and sent back to the factory for service. I waited a few days to confirm that they received them and was expecting a call back sometime after that with the prognosis. To my surprise, I received them back a week later with new ear modules, head pad, ear gels and boom and the seals and plugs cleaned ALL AT NO CHARGE. Tried them out today, worked great. When I purchased them, I was a little hesitant to spend the extra money for them, but I have been very happy and with customer service like this, it has been worth every penny.

I've never seen a D/C that wasn't "under warranty".:)

That's what I had always heard, until I sent mine in for repair last year. They were out of the warranty period, and that's exactly what DC told me before they charged me $80 to fix them (mic wasn't working - they fixed that and replaced the gel ear cups). I was totally fine with that since they truly weren't under warranty. I think it's a great company, and their service is hands down better than most, but you shouldn't automatically assume they will always fix headsets for free. I'm not sure what their criteria is for when they do and when they don't. Maybe it just depends on the problem.

Brandon

That's what I had always heard, until I sent mine in for repair last year. They were out of the warranty period, and that's exactly what DC told me before they charged me $80 to fix them (mic wasn't working - they fixed that and replaced the gel ear cups). I was totally fine with that since they truly weren't under warranty. I think it's a great company, and their service is hands down better than most, but you shouldn't automatically assume they will always fix headsets for free. I'm not sure what their criteria is for when they do and when they don't. Maybe it just depends on the problem.

Brandon

I bought one of the H10-40's when they first came out. After several years the mic became intermittent so I figured since it was out of warranty I'd try cutting it open to see if I could fix it. I couldn't, so I bought a new H10-40. After another few years, it had problems too, so I sent it back to Clark for repair. I also threw the first headset into the box with a note asking for an estimate to replace the mic, and maybe install a new cord.
About two weeks later, both headsets were returned; the newest headset had been completely refurbished, and the old original headset was likewise refurbished. In fact, the only things I could detect that might be my original parts were the green earcups! All the modern upgrades including padded headpieces, new cords, new gel seals, and in fact the original headset never had earcup volume controls installed, but it had them when it was returned!
Both were marked "Repaired under warranty".

I mentioned this to a pilot friend who then told me a story about his experience with David Clark. His father was an O-1 Birddog pilot in Vietnam, and he brought his old grey USAF issue headset home with him after the war. Many years later the son decided that to honor his father, he called Clark to see what it would cost the refurbish the headset so it could be used in a modern plane. It had military plugs and operated on a difference impedance than a general aviation headset. The Clark rep asked him, "Isn't it under warranty?". My friend argued that it couldn't possibly be under any warranty, but he just wanted to pay to get it refurbished. The rep said, "Why not just send it to us and let us determine if it's still under warranty."
He sent it in, and it came back about a week later completely renewed with a tag that just said, "Repaired under warranty".

Back