What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAB certification

Scott Hersha

Well Known Member
Question for the group:

Our EAA Chapter (974) was given 2 homebuilt aircraft kits by former members. Our Chapter is considering building one of these as a chapter project and either keeping it to form a chapter flying club, or selling it to raise funds for the chapter. The question that has come up and that I?m asking is, who?s name goes on the airworthiness certificate as manufacturer? Some in the chapter have suggested that we should list EAA974 as manufacturer. Can that be done? Or does it need to be an individual? I?m not interested in who, if anybody, gets a repairman certificate, just who?s name goes on the Data Plate.

Thanks

Our EAA Chapter (974) was given 2 homebuilt aircraft kits by former members. Our Chapter is considering building one of these as a chapter project and either keeping it to form a chapter flying club, or selling it to raise funds for the chapter. The question that has come up and that I?m asking is, who?s name goes on the airworthiness certificate as manufacturer? Some in the chapter have suggested that we should list EAA974 as manufacturer. Can that be done? Or does it need to be an individual? I?m not interested in who, if anybody, gets a repairman certificate, just who?s name goes on the Data Plate.

The owner/builder of an amateur-built aircraft can be a corporation or LLC. An officer of the corporation will sign all the FAA documents, using his or her title in the corporation. For example, the "One Week Wonder" RV-12iS that we built at Oshkosh a couple of years ago was registered to "Experimental Aircraft Assn Inc" and that is what is shown as the manufacturer/builder on the registration and the data plate. An officer of EAA signed all the paperwork for the application. Same with the AirCam that we recently finished.

However, on the FAA Form 8130-12, Eligibility Statement, you will have to list the names of the individuals who actually worked on the project.

If you are going to keep the aircraft in a flying club after you finish it, it would be simplest to form the flying club corporation, and have them own the aircraft and be the builder right off the bat. It would save you 5 bucks and some paperwork because you wouldn't have to transfer the registration from the chapter to the flying club after the aircraft is finished.

Back