What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing doubler kit rv-12 #14-11-03

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i would like to know if the loose rivets in the wing skin have occurred for any 12's flying. i am wondering what others have found.

yes, smoking rivets or any other sign they aren't tight. i am still building. if anyone turns up these rivets number of hours would be good to know.

About 215 hours on a 2015 build... and we were just looking... Nothing showing smoked rivets, yet, but we almost always fly early in the day, in glassy air, avoiding any type of turbulence. Probably a low hour bird.

I'd ask some of the places that are S-LSA owners that rent and teach out of them for higher hour birds.

I have early SN RV-12 120058 now with 522TT. Airplane is flown off of rough grass runway and most often in pretty good summer convection. I have hit my head twice on the canopy with shoulder straps sinched tightly.

I check for loose rivets at Annual Condition Inspection and also when cleaning bottom of plane. No loose rivets at present so I'm delaying the SB.

950 hours since March 2012 and no Smokey rivets. I bought the doubler kit and keep it in my tool chest in case I ever need it.

thanks to all for the feedback.although i am building i am about done and the wings are closed up. i think i will let this go until it becomes a problem. if the holes to drill out were still open it would be a no brainer. i will set the doubler kit on the shelf and hope it stays there.

Bob,

It?s inconvenient now. It?s REALLY inconvenient later. In your situation I?d do it now.

In my situation I don?t want to screw up my paint job until necessary.

Rich

I strongly encourage you to incorporate the safety mods during construction -- even if it means drilling out some rivets. Such procrastinated things have a way of never getting done at a later date. Besides, the mods will enhance your future resale prospects.

Last edited:
This is relatively easy to do. Can be done in one day. Using a modified center punch to remove the rivet mandrel aids greatly in the rivet removal process.

Last edited:
My plane is finished, painted and flying so I have the doubler kit on the shelf, just in case. So far so good, but if I was still building I wouldn't hesitate to drill out a few rivets and install it. Your decision though.

If you do this SB pay attention to the handful of rivets where rivets pass through the tabs on the rib caps. The tabs must be supported from underneath before driving the rivet shaft through the skin otherwise you will bend those tabs. The SB addresses this.

Mark those locations on the wing upper surface before you happily start driving rivet shafts through the skin. I think there were about 4 rivets on each wing you have to address.

yea, you guys are right. the woodworking books call it ''workmanship at risk''. looking back though i have done the other mods, improved canopy latch, ast mod, hor. stab and others without a hitch. the rivets are always the big ''if''. the spring center punch helps a lot. this doubler mod is with relatively thick material. as tom pointed out the thin tab getting bent is a possibility and vans points it out. wish they had pointed it out on a few other mods.
so as soon as i get the wing extension mounted with plate nuts i will flip the wing and do the right thing. thanks for the input.

Back