What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFD 540 TOGA Button?

majuro15

Well Known Member
I'm finishing up my AFS quick panel and need some help with the IFD 540. I know the IFD can do a TOGA button that will essentially sequence the missed proceedures before actually reaching the MAP and give vertical/lateral guidance. My buddy's Mooney has it with his IFD 540. But I can't find anything about how to wire it. Does anyone know the pin assignment for this button?

Thanks!

I checked Rev 12 of my IFD540 Installation Manual and there are no connector pin assignments for a TOGA switch input and no discussion of such a capability. The Avidyne IFD540 Forum has one reference to a TOGA function and it basically says the 540 does not support it and recommends using the FPL L4 LSK to switch Enable Missed or set Auto Enable Missed Approach on the User Option page.

"Alternatively, the system can be configured to automatically enable the published missed approach for an active procedure by selecting the Auto Enable Missed selection in the User Options page. When this is selected, the system will automatically sequence to the published missed approach when crossing the MAP." It appears you have to use the L4 LSK to accomplish what you want to do before the MAP.

I gather the capabilities of whichever autopilot you have integrated with the 540 also has a lot to do with how the steering works in different modes.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

My ifd550 seamlessly sequences to the map and gives steering commands, I have the auto enabled set in setup. At that point you can stay missed or retry approach.

Yes, seems like TOGA or simply Go Around isn't a function of the IFD like it is Garmin products. The AFS autopilot doesn't have an input for Go Around like the Dynon does either, although the AP will fly the missed with the auto sequencing enabled on the 540.

I guess I need to find another function for my stick button!

I'm used to flying a G1000 (although I'm not a fan of Garmin) so thought the TOGA was a standard button needed with all setups.

Back