What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-8/8A!!!

In flight Photo

Finally got a good photo in flight.

The Alaska Avaition Heritage Museum has a BBQ fund raiser every summer in early July. They have flybys of all kinds of aircraft during the event. Since the museum is located on Lake Hood the aircraft make low approaches over the Lake Hood water lane. Photo taken By Walter of EAA 42.

Great looking airplane!

Finally got a good photo in flight.

The Alaska Avaition Heritage Museum has a BBQ fund raiser every summer in early July. They have flybys of all kinds of aircraft during the event. Since the museum is located on Lake Hood the aircraft make low approaches over the Lake Hood water lane. Photo taken By Walter of EAA 42.

That must be an Oregon Duck, visiting Alaska in the Summer, on your tail. :)

Fantastic looking bird on both counts!

Look me up if you are down this way and I will do the same. Have room and car... Alaska is on my short list....

First Flight of RV8 VH-JSX

After 7 years of effort RV8 JSX lifted off the runway at Gawler South Australia on Sunday the 12th at 2:30pm in the experienced hands of Marc Michell a very experienced tail wheel pilot and friend. There were no real problems apart from a very slight low right wing and an EMS problem. The engine performed well with no cooling difficulties and an already impressive turn of speed.
I would like to thank all involved and my terrific wife Sue!
Jim
IMG_0019_zps4f80a363.jpg

Last edited:
Falcon 7x

Not my home, just borrowed it for the picture :D

But, the RV is just across the runway for lunch time flights!

New RV-8 flying in Denmark

After 9 years, 3 months I got my MISTRESS II in the air from EKBI for :32. GREAT! A little heavy on the left wing, otherwise nothing serious!

Pictures on Facebook! :)

Congratulations

Hey Tom - well done. Must feel good!
What will you be doing with the Cub?

Making steady progress on my 9A. Fitting the roll bar today on the tip-up canopy.

Best,

Tom

Congratulations to Thomas with his Van's RV-8 number 9000 :)

Van?s Confirms 9000 First Flights

Great news from Van?s Aircraft and a record to be proud of:

?We?ve been holding our breath for several days, and today?s the day? the official 9000th first flight of an RV happened yesterday ? in of all places, Denmark. Wild celebrations ensued throughout Van?s facility.

Thomas and his RV-8 Kitplanes/

Blain... the seats are the Aviator seats from Classic Aero covered in Ultra-Leather and heated for the Minnesota winters.

Beautiful

Congratulations Christer! The plane looks super and I know you will enjoy flying behind the G3X. Well done!

Chuck

RV-8

Really, really nice looking. Great job. I'm not sure if you had already left OSH by the time I arrived or whether I missed your plane but I sure would have liked to see it! Maybe next time.

waited 11yrs to post this

Back from Grady's today. Nice paint job. First flight last September. Now with 104hrs and all is well. Couldn't ask for more.

Last edited:
RV-8 N9324Z

Began build in January 2009; airworthiness inspection by FAA inspector Richard 'Dilly' Dilbeck (SAC FSDO) on August 26, 2015. First flight on Sunday, August 30, 2015, from Lincoln, CA (KLHM) where the airplane is based.

Engine: YIO-360-M1B
Propeller: Hartzell C2YR-1BFP/F74972
Avionics: Dynon Skyview 1000T with the other Dynon black boxes; Garmin GTN-650 navigator; Garmin SL40 Comm; ACK 406 ELT

By the way, the tail number was last used by a B-17 air tanker; I have resurrected the number for my RV-8 as a nod to B-17s past and present.

Too many people to mention here who helped but the VAF website was obviously the go-to help source for quick information on anything RV related. I have paid my dues and will continue to pay my dues...great resource.

Began build in January 2009; airworthiness inspection by FAA inspector Richard 'Dilly' Dilbeck (SAC FSDO) on August 26, 2015. First flight on Sunday, August 30, 2015, from Lincoln, CA (KLHM) where the airplane is based.

Avionics: Dynon Skyview 1000T with the other Dynon black boxes; Garmin GTN-650 navigator; Garmin SL40 Comm; ACK 406 ELT

By the way, the tail number was last used by a B-17 air tanker; I have resurrected the number for my RV-8 as a nod to B-17s past and present.

Too many people to mention here who helped but the VAF website was obviously the go-to help source for quick information on anything RV related. I have paid my dues and will continue to pay my dues...great resource.

Nice looking! Congrats on the first flight too. Would you please show a pic of the panel layout?

Love the NA-73 paint scheme

Congrats to you sir!
Time to burn some avgas!

Scott,

Very nice RV-8. The panel looks great!

I'm also at Lincoln. B-6 on the Southside. I'll be looking for you.

Scott, it's so great to see this post! I've been checking your site daily, because I knew how close you were. Congratulations, my friend! I was also going to email you about the latest B-17 update... another enjoyable read. Can't wait to see this aircraft in person someday, perhaps at OSH... meet up again in person and share a beer at the VAF Social or Vans Banquet. Also can't wait till I'll be showing you my finished RV-8.

Scott, it's so great to see this post! I've been checking your site daily, because I knew how close you were. Congratulations, my friend! I was also going to email you about the latest B-17 update... another enjoyable read. Can't wait to see this aircraft in person someday, perhaps at OSH... meet up again in person and share a beer at the VAF Social or Vans Banquet. Also can't wait till I'll be showing you my finished RV-8.

Sounds good on all counts.....

Another one leaves the ground!

First flight was last weekend but as with building I'm a bit slow!

IMG_8514.jpg

IMG_1531_1.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-27%20at%206.56.32%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-27%20at%206.58.09%20PM.png

Successful take off and landing! My definition of a good flight....let the fun continue! Thanks to all various airport bums at KSLE and Independence for encouragement and support and of course Van and all the great people he employs in Aurora!

Last edited:
Santa Rosa RV-8

My neighbor was heading to the airport behind me a few weeks ago and snapped this photo as I taxied out for an evening flight in early August.
znkdjr.jpg
[/IMG]

Trapper, what a beautiful ship!

You just have to come to the EAA 690 Pancake Breakfast. It is on the first Saturday of each month at Gwinnett County Airport in Lawrenceville, GA. I'll buy!

Thanks Dan & Steve. I'm not sure what 2TAF means but it is a Spitfire scheme. No such letter combination in the RAF: E, S & L are my daughters initials (which is why I only show 3 kills on the canopy). Steve, I appreciate your kind invitation and promise I'll take you up on it some day.

Guess I should lay out some stats:

First flight: 12Nov11/Long Build
Engine: Aerosport Power IO-375/203HP
Avionics: Dual 10" Skyview/Dual ADAHRS/Mode S/ADS-B/Garmin 430W/Dynon coupled A/P
Classic Aero Interior
TTAF/E: 225 as of today

Here's an early panel shot, pre-paint and with temp placards:

2njx174.jpg

Love the paint and remember you and your daughter from OshKosh 2013. It was my first year with the new 7a and I appriciated having somone to hang out with. Hope all is well.

Back