What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control stick wiring

krhea

Well Known Member
I am upgrading my control stick to tosten Cs-8 and am confused about the digital input output wiring. I am adding the MGL n16-V16 radio and a CS-8 stick grip. I built a small schematic at this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bp70rxmhbdipqm0/cs8%20stick%20.pdf?dl=0

I just cannot wrap my head around the ptt going to audio ground at the radio and the other ptt switchs grounding to power ground. Seems like i need to take the cs-8 apart and add another wire for the ptt trigger?

Thanks

Keith Rhea.
RV7
2019 dues paid.

Schematic looks like you should be using V16 pins 15 and 17, and not 14 and 17. Not certain re pin 17 Radio Recall?

I just cannot wrap my head around the ptt going to audio ground at the radio and the other ptt switches grounding to power ground.

You only have one switch that is PTT-------Push To Talk (transmit), and IIRC, that is the trigger. It has a separate ground wire.

The other switches are for controlling various functions that you pick. These are all tied to a single ground inside the switch. Some can be used for things like radio freq flip/flop, or A/P disconnect, or XPNDR ident------these only require a grounding of a lead to activate. For things like trim, you use the grip wiring to activate a relay.

https://tostenmanufacturing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/relaydeck_wiring.pdf

Last edited:
Simple answer: don't worry about it. The PTT just takes a sense line to ground potential, and any ground will do, for that purpose. The radio itself is almost certainly grounded to the instrument panel, which is grounded to the airframe in RVs. (You can verify on your radio by checking between the radio's ground pin and the radio chassis with an ohm meter. Any reading under a few ohms means that it's tied to the chassis.)

The critical grounding issues are related to high power noise makers interfering with extremely low level signals, like audio. There's no real 'signal' involved with the PTT; it either has a DC voltage potential on that pin in the radio (no active PTT), or no DC on the pin (grounded by the PTT). Noise is not an issue here.

Charlie

Simple answer: don't worry about it. The PTT just takes a sense line to ground potential, and any ground will do, for that purpose.

Keith, what Charlie says here is exactly what I did. Been working great and noise-free for hundreds of hours.

Back