What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help for a TALL pilot

mcblinn

I'm New Here
Good afternoon. This is my first post.... I'm very interested in the rv-14, but I have a problem. I'm 6'6'' with a 35'' inseam. Half the people I talk to say no problem, the other half say no way. Would love to be able to "try one on". I'm in central Florida. At the very least, I would like your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Welcome Michael,
We have a few RV's @ KSFB and a few building but I do not know of a RV-14 local. Hopefully someone will reach out.
I am 6'5 w/ 36" inseam and I built my RV-9 to fit me. I have no issues. Seems like a RV-14 would be even better height wise and mostly width wise.

I am 6'4", 32 -34 inseam with an RV9a I built with almost 14 mod, rudder pedals moved forward and have plenty of room. The RV14 will not be an issue.

Tall

Micheal, I am 6?3 and 200 lbs with a 99th percentile sitting height. Small aircraft have always been an issue with my head hitting the canopy. I got the opportunity to sit in an RV7/8/10/ and 14. The 7 was too short in either seat (head pressed into the canopy). The 8 was good in the front seat but impossible in the rear seat. The 10 was ok, but with the headset on it was occasionally touching the cieling. In the 14 I had no contact between by head and the canopy except in low G maneuvers, but that was likely due to the loose seatbelt. Not saying you will be the same, but hopefully this helps.

Good afternoon. This is my first post.... I'm very interested in the rv-14, but I have a problem. I'm 6'6'' with a 35'' inseam. Half the people I talk to say no problem, the other half say no way. Would love to be able to "try one on". I'm in central Florida. At the very least, I would like your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Mentioning inseam means you are more concern about leg room than head.
I am 6?3?, tall in the torso. I sit on 4? of Medium dense foam that compresses down to 2?, 3? of back foam, Bose headset, geezer accordion sun shade above head. All this leaves me with about 1? between headset and shade.
I wear 31? inseam pants and thinking of bring the pedals 1? closer. Plenty of leg
room available.
I say 6?6? should be no issue.

R

Hey Tall Guy,,, I?m tall too,

,,,added this bar to recline my seat (-8A) and it?s helped a lot. Also, using a thin high density foam seat cousion with an Air Hawk air cousion on top of that-just right 👍🏼. I?m 6?3? and on the larger side. The -8A fits great.

Vansaircraft.com

TALL SEATBACK OPT.
WD-823-PC

Tall pilot

Michael
I’m am building an RV-14 and wondered the same thing. I flew in a local RV-14A and had no issues with leg or head room. I’m 6’-6” 36” inseam and weigh 250#. You should have no trouble at all.

Last edited:
Tall, 220, size 14 shoes here. The RV-14 will be fine, although I'd suggest relocating the air vents and the throttle/prop/mixture, as they hang under the panel. Easy.

I fly a Lancair 235, but the solution is the same: Lower the seat, recline the seat back, make sure your knees won't hit the instrument panel, move the rudder pedals back. I had to do all this stuff.

You could always take a demo flight with Vic Syracuse, he's in the Atlanta area. I was in Jacksonville last January and decided to drive up and take the ride.... awesome is all I can say. I'm about halfway through the empennage at this point.

6'5" 36" inseam. Sat in the demonstrator 14 at Osh a couple years ago. I found it very comfortable with plenty of room between my head and the canopy and no issues with knees and instrument panels. Oddly and possibly due to the tip up canopy Vs cabin top I found the 14 to be more comfortable and easier to get in and out of than the 10. If I was going to build a side by side I would build a 14.

Never thought about the size 14 issue. I'm afflicted with the same condition. Thanks for all the replies. I have set up a meeting with Vic next month!!

I am 6’4 with a 34” inseam and very tall sitting height. Had the -14 demo flight at the factory and my size was no factor. Amazingly, I think the -7 had more clearance between the top of my thighs and the bottom of the panel. It sits lower than the -14. You should be able to make a -14 fit you, but watch the panel clearance on your long legs. That is the big challenge for me on the C 172 I fly. I always lower the seat to the bottom of its range.

6'5" 36" inseam, as tall and as Dutch as can be.

In a tiny RV-12.

Removed the stock seat and wedge, and the back seat cover. 3" high density foam under the seat 2.5" high density foam for the back. No sunshade on the canopy. I have maybe 1.5" to spare under the Dave Clark headset.

I do sit very low in the plane, takes some effort to get up and out of it, sort of like sitting in a Corvette, trying to get your feet underneath you when you get out.

Will probably find out how 3 hours feels flying to Copper State Fly In in Feb.

Tall and no problem

I'm 6'6? w/a 36? inseam. I mounted my pedals full forward and my seat back is full aft. I have Classic Aero seats with standard foam thickness. I use a Halo headset. The airplane is very comfortable. In cruise I can slip my feet under the rudder pedals and pretty much straighten my legs and I have no head clearance issues.

Thanx again for all the replies. Met up with Vic this week and found that I can fit with no problem whatsoever!! Now, I'm out of excuses........

Back